Is my CPAP causing bags under my eyes?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rip Van Winkle

Is my CPAP causing bags under my eyes?

Post by Rip Van Winkle » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie, been CPAPing for 10 days. My sleep has greatly improved but I've noticed some realy ugly, really big bags under my eyes. I'm not sleep deprived, not a heavy drinker / smoker and I'm a 47 year old male that does not wear eye make-up. Is it possible my Mirage Quarttro mask is responsible for the bags? I believe the mask is adjusted correctly, meaning it's not uncomfortably tight and there are no leaks. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

rosiefrosie

Re: Is my CPAP causing bags under my eyes?

Post by rosiefrosie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:05 pm

Untreated sleep apnea caused me to have bags under my eyes. I think some people have talked about this happening to them in other posts.

rosie

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:21 pm

I have been a cpap user for quite a while. I have been through several different masks and I still have big bags under my eyes at times. I don't know what causes it but I feel like it has to be sleep deprivation. I would like some answers also if anyone has any ideas. I am still looking for the perfect mask that doesn't leave dimples in my forehead, leaks like a sieve, or lines that last all day on my cheeks.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:33 pm

I think I remember having some puffiness in that area below my eyes when I first started out.

I'm not sure whether it might be the air pressure or humidity. Is it only after you get up (and then subsides), or is it all the time?

You can be sure that you're not the only one who will experience "_______________________" (fill in the blank) with this therapy.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Rip Van Winkle

Post by Rip Van Winkle » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:07 pm

Wulf the bags do seem to disappear during the course of the day but it is a shocker first thing in the morning when I look in the mirror

DoninOrlando

Post by DoninOrlando » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Hi everybody, I'm a newbie, been CPAPing for 10 days. My sleep has greatly improved but I've noticed some realy ugly, really big bags under my eyes. I'm not sleep deprived, not a heavy drinker / smoker and I'm a 47 year old male that does not wear eye make-up. Is it possible my Mirage Quarttro mask is responsible for the bags? I believe the mask is adjusted correctly, meaning it's not uncomfortably tight and there are no leaks. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

I had the same thing when I started. Never figured out what caused it but it went away after maybe 3-4 weeks. I use the Quattro now but was using pillows masks when I started. I was using Quattro when it slowy improved. I am very close to your age and also non smoker, non drinker.

Orlando FL
Started CPAP 10-23-2009
Been using PRS-One Auto for 11 years, recalled :(
09/20/21 starting new Airsense 10 Autoset, Mirage Quattro FFM
Settings: Auto 18-20

aroche

Post by aroche » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:32 pm

I seem to remember the Doc telling me that one side effect of OSA was the constant trips to the restroom throughout the night because the body was getting rid of water due to low oxygen levels. Perhaps the bags are due to water retention from the body getting oxygen again and as the day goes by your body will equalize?

Rip Van Winkle

Post by Rip Van Winkle » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:36 pm

aroche wrote:I seem to remember the Doc telling me that one side effect of OSA was the constant trips to the restroom throughout the night because the body was getting rid of water due to low oxygen levels. Perhaps the bags are due to water retention from the body getting oxygen again and as the day goes by your body will equalize?
Interesting, before CPAPing, I made several bathroom trips per night and now make zero.

Thanks for the replies everybody

tdmartin

Post by tdmartin » Mon May 16, 2011 3:05 pm

I just quit using my cpap. i have a facial infection below my left eye about the size of a half dollar and is full of puss. i just took my first antibiotic. seems like the mask held some bacteria and it seeped under my skin. doctor is worried about it effecting my eye.

I am going to dry a dental appliance.

pretty severe. hope it clears up.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon May 16, 2011 4:06 pm

tdmartin wrote:I just quit using my cpap. i have a facial infection below my left eye about the size of a half dollar and is full of puss. i just took my first antibiotic. seems like the mask held some bacteria and it seeped under my skin. doctor is worried about it effecting my eye.

I am going to dry a dental appliance.

pretty severe. hope it clears up.
There are many many many different styles of masks available. Most people are capable of washing the mask daily to prevent it. Infections are usually caused by pressure and closing off of the skin by the silicon thereby giving the bacteria in YOUR body a chance to breed. The answer is to use mask liners and a properly fitted mask.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon May 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Hi everybody, I'm a newbie, been CPAPing for 10 days. My sleep has greatly improved but I've noticed some realy ugly, really big bags under my eyes. I'm not sleep deprived, not a heavy drinker / smoker and I'm a 47 year old male that does not wear eye make-up. Is it possible my Mirage Quarttro mask is responsible for the bags? I believe the mask is adjusted correctly, meaning it's not uncomfortably tight and there are no leaks. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks
It is possible there is some air leakage into that area. Air can go up tear ducts. I found I had less problem however with the Hybrid then with the Quatro but every face is different.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal