Diet questions for CPAP users

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jnk...

Re: Diet questions for CPAP users

Post by jnk... » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:10 pm

DreamStalker wrote: . . . about 0.25 to 0.75 grams of protein (about size of 4oz can of tuna or less) per pound of "lean" body weight per day . . .
I ain't no mathematician, but did something get lost in transposition?
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:29 pm

Keeping away from flour and sugar as much as possible. Also soy. I've been leaning towards a ketogenic diet for the last few months and have lost about 30 lbs. in total. The extra weight was accumulated by having a desk job and lots of stress, good to lose it. My energy level and general health are both up, feeling better.

Still getting a lot of nutrition, but staying away from high carb food like potatoes and other foods that grow underground. And using coconut and olive oils instead of canola or whatever. Lots of vegetables of the low carb variety, salads with dark leafy greens and avocado. No sodas, I've been off sodas for many years now. Non-carbonated water and a couple of cups of coffee mostly. Turns out that wine is lower in carbs than beer *smile*, generally speaking. Example is my breakfast, usually a couple of eggs, cooked in coconut oil. Cup of coffee in their somewhere *smile*. Good stuff.

Continuing the exercise program. Walking 2 miles 5 times a week (over 4 years now), and have a strength-building program that I also do 3 days a week. While I don't think that exercise helps much in weight loss unless you don't change your eating habits (boosts your appetite *smile*), it does help with health issues. My blood pressure and pulse rate are at all-time lows for me. My blood pressure had been going up before I started cpap, and just after I started cpap I also added the walking program. So hard to say what has had more influence, but I'm happy with my general condition at this point.

Feeling better than I have in a long time.
Last edited by RogerSC on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:47 pm

jnk... wrote:
DreamStalker wrote: . . . about 0.25 to 0.75 grams of protein (about size of 4oz can of tuna or less) per pound of "lean" body weight per day . . .
I ain't no mathematician, but did something get lost in transposition?
Sorry.

Average adult male should have between 18% and 24% body fat (let's say 25% for non-mathematicians)
In 1960 (when I was born) the average adult American male weighed 166.3 pounds (let's say 165 lbs for non-mathematicians)

Lean body mass = Total body mass - %body fat (1)

Ergo, according to Equation (1) -- that means the average American male had a "lean" body mass of 123.75 pounds in 1960 (let's say 124 lbs for non-mathematicians)

A can of Starkist Select Tuna is 4.5 ounces (or 128 grams) ... so sez Charlie.
So let's say at 0.5 grams of protein per pound of "lean" body weight ... that would be 62 grams of daily protein or a couple of grams less than half a can of tuna, for average non-mathematicians.

For the average Arnold Schwarzenegger non-mathematicians it might be the whole can of tuna? ... And for the average granny non-mathematicians maybe a quarter of a can of tuna?

So no linear matrix algebraic transformations were harmed in these calculations.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:58 pm

Thanks DS.

Just making sure the math-dummies like me didn't read it as one 4oz can of tuna per pound of lean body weight per day.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:06 pm

jnk... wrote:Thanks DS.

Just making sure the math-dummies like me didn't read it as one 4oz can of tuna per pound of lean body weight per day.
Yes indeed. That would be way overkill for the tuna population and I would feel really really bad if anyone ever actually took me seriously.

Thanks for the great catch ... and I'm sure Charlie is thankful too.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:12 pm

We don't want tuna with good weight; we want tuna that weighs good.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:16 pm

jnk... wrote:We don't want tuna with good weight; we want tuna that weighs good.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:44 pm

Protein requirements for a human will vary according to numerous factors.
Growth, stress, and anaerobic activity will increase this need, as well as general health.
After my surgery, I was advised to get generous amounts of protein, as it is needed for healing.
Type 2 diabetics require less insulin or drugs on a diet that rolls back the carbs
from the OUTRAGEOUS ADA specifications, substituting healthy proteins for tissue regeneration.
My own blood sugar and diet tracking completely supports a diet with moderate carb intake,
about a quarter to a third of the official numbers. Protein and fat have no immediate effect on blood glucose.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:50 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Protein requirements for a human will vary according to numerous factors.
Growth, stress, and anaerobic activity will increase this need, as well as general health.
After my surgery, I was advised to get generous amounts of protein, as it is needed for healing.
Type 2 diabetics require less insulin or drugs on a diet that rolls back the carbs
from the OUTRAGEOUS ADA specifications, substituting healthy proteins for tissue regeneration.
My own blood sugar and diet tracking completely supports a diet with moderate carb intake,
about a quarter to a third of the official numbers. Protein and fat have no immediate effect on blood glucose.
Yes When I built a house in the snow and sleet while sleeping in an unheated shed, I consumed enormous amounts of it and so did everyone else. None of us put on weight either. I probably ate more those 2 weeks then I normally did at my desk job in an overheated building in 2 months.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:31 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:. . . Protein and fat have no immediate effect on blood glucose.
My understanding is that the effect can be slower, three to four (or more) hours out, in some.

But if you are Type 2 and trying to lose weight, I believe that it can be important to know that insulin levels may increase substantially in response to non-carb calories (especially larger amounts of protein) even when measured blood glucose does not seem to have much of a response. This can be important for those who are trying to lower insulin levels, not just blood glucose levels, in harmony with the belief that insulin is a primary driver of obesity, especially in conjunction with stress hormones.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)