Colds, congestion, and aromatherapy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
warjna

Colds, congestion, and aromatherapy

Post by warjna » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:54 pm

I just recently had the worst cold I've had in decades, with my nose so stopped up that I could only breathe through my mouth - which kind of defeats the purpose of a cpap. I used a decongestant nasal spray for three days to clear my nose enough to breathe (and sleep), which worked okay and got me past the worst of it. By day 4 I was able to breathe well enough without a decongestant, thus avoiding the rebound congestion, and I'm now on the mend though still a little stuffy.
What I was wondering, though, was if there is anything I could have used in or with the cpap to help open up my nasal passages? Like using eucalyptus essential oil on a pad near the air intake, as with the Pur-Sleep aromatherapy scents, or even smearing Vicks on the inside of my swift?
If anyone has experienced this, or has any ideas, I'd appreciate the help. I don't EVER want to go through that again!

chopper06

Re: Colds, congestion, and aromatherapy

Post by chopper06 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:02 pm

The DME people gave me a loaner full face mask to use while I was congested........

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:14 am

warjna,

I really like the 'Clear' Pursleep aromatherapy. I use it everynight as it really opens up my nasal passages and smells great to me. If you have a really bad cold or sinuses though, you may have to just ride out the stuffed up nose for a few days until it gets somewhat better, then the 'Clear' Pursleep can more easily get through to help open up your nasal passages (at least in my experience).

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

Gazhacks

Post by Gazhacks » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:43 am

Yes! In the uk everyone use "Olbas Oil" its a very strong vapour and a few drops on a tissue will clear you within a minute or two, its the best thing on the market today.

http://www.olbas.co.uk/

The best nautural oil is eucalyptus essential oil. This is the best you can get as all manufactorers use this in their products

flocof

Post by flocof » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:12 am

[quote="Gazhacks"]Yes! In the uk everyone use "Olbas Oil" its a very strong vapour and a few drops on a tissue will clear you within a minute or two, its the best thing on the market
Thanks for that Gashacks, I have just ordered some, they ship free to Australia
flocof
Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt

Gazhacks

Post by Gazhacks » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:16 am

flocof wrote:
Gazhacks wrote:Yes! In the uk everyone use "Olbas Oil" its a very strong vapour and a few drops on a tissue will clear you within a minute or two, its the best thing on the market
Thanks for that Gashacks, I have just ordered some, they ship free to Australia
either use it next to your inlet on a tissue or on a cotton ball, WARNING! use only a drop or you will have tears in your eyes

Also you can put a drop in your humi. as it also works in there, happy breathing

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:28 pm

you don't put it in your humidifier gaz... it doesn't react well to the plastic!

Gazhacks

Post by Gazhacks » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:36 pm

cflame1 wrote:you don't put it in your humidifier gaz... it doesn't react well to the plastic!
Thanks for that I have done in the past but I dont use my humi much so thanks for the heads up