New to Cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JaVelin

New to Cpap

Post by JaVelin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi Folks

I was diagnosed a week or so ago as severe obstructive apnea 85.5 (not sure what the number means I assume it's an index) and got my machine and mask a few days ago. I've not had any problems adjusting to it and have had full night sleep with the mask and stuff every night except one (last night the thing almost drowned me) other than that it's been fine and I'm glad I found this group.

The day after the first night I felt like superman but I think a lot of that was just wishfull thinking. I've been chasing my sypmptoms for a while and was maybe hoping to much that this was the soluution. not I ready here that it can really take months to really get the benefit

harry33

Re: New to Cpap

Post by harry33 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:09 pm

the full benefits can take weeks to become apparent
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

stephanie13724

Post by stephanie13724 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:36 pm

(last night the thing almost drowned me)
Could you please describe what you mean that "the thing almost drowned" you? I'd like to geta better idea of what your talking about to see if I can help, and also so I can help anyone else that I notice has a similar problem.

Thanks!

stephanie13724
Stephanie13724

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:43 pm

Some people DO feel better from the first night! You may be one of those. If you were having 86 apneas an hour pre-CPAP, I'll bet you do feel better now!

It sounds as though you may have had an episode of "rainout". That occurws when the air in the hose/mask is warmer than the room air, and condensation results in water dripping into your face. You can turn down your humidifier, wrap your hose and hang the hose over your head so the water drains back into the chamber.

Do a search for rainout and hose hanger and you will find lots of suggestions.

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:22 pm

Fill out your Profile on your member page with the full name of your machine and mask - that way it shows up every time you post and we know what you have, and so can possibly help. Without that, it's a bit hard to guess. For instance, if you have a 'nasal' mask you could be mouth breathing when asleep and losing all the cpap air, in which case you might need a 'full face' mask (cpap.com has full explanations of them).

JaVelin

Post by JaVelin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:13 pm

Thanks folks

I have a Phillips system 1 with he humidifier. All that happened was I hit a really humid night while I had been trying to cure a sore throat by ramping up the humidifier one step every night. I guess it went to far and started condensing. I woke with some moisture on my face and when I moved the nasal mask it dumped in some water I'll try it again tonight with the humidifier off and see what happens. there were a lot of people off work sick today so I may have picked up the same bug and attributed it to the machine.