Hubby Had Emergency Surgery!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
giantred

Re: Hubby Had Emergency Surgery!

Post by giantred » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:07 pm

You are definetly, in my prayers. I don't know you well, but I don't want people to suffer at all. I will pray for you and your husband right now and before I go to bed.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:58 pm

Good to hear from you Dori. Now, take care of Dori!

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:08 pm

Glad to hear things are going better for Mike. Now time to take care of yourself. Do something special for you.

rosie

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Well, maybe I'll feel better after I post this update. We saw the surgeon today and he lowered the boom and said the wound needs to be packed/dressed 2x/day as he's not happy with the way it looks. The visiting nurse also hinted at that yesterday. Since the VN only comes once in the AM I'll have to start doing it tomorrow with her supervision so I can do it again myself in the evening. I think I know the whole process but I'm not looking forward to actually doing it. The wound is still quite deep,about 4". But hopefully I'll be able to tackle this new situation the way I did the cpap and keep repeating the quote in my sig. Thanks for reading.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm sorry to hear this, Dori. May the force be with you!
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:58 pm

DoriC wrote:Well, maybe I'll feel better after I post this update. We saw the surgeon today and he lowered the boom and said the wound needs to be packed/dressed 2x/day as he's not happy with the way it looks. The visiting nurse also hinted at that yesterday. Since the VN only comes once in the AM I'll have to start doing it tomorrow with her supervision so I can do it again myself in the evening. I think I know the whole process but I'm not looking forward to actually doing it. The wound is still quite deep,about 4". But hopefully I'll be able to tackle this new situation the way I did the cpap and keep repeating the quote in my sig. Thanks for reading.
I'm sorry to hear that, Dori, and I don't envy you having to pack Mike's wound yourself. (I get squeamish with things like that, no matter how much I might love the person who needs my assistance.) I wish you all the luck in carrying on. I know you can do it (and I could, too, if I had to); doesn't mean we have to like it, though.

Best wishes to you both.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:13 pm

I'm sorry to hear this Dori. I would have a tough time with dressing wound such a deep wound. But we do what we have to do. Sending you strength, courage and a (((hug)).

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:31 pm

Bless you, Dori, for all you do for your husband. He is a very lucky man to have you.

I wish you strength in this next step in his treatment, much as you shouldn't have to be doing it.

Take good care of yourself, as good as you take care of your husband. You are an inspiration.

Maryland CPAPer

rise&shiner

Post by rise&shiner » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:59 pm

With setbacks comes great leaps forward as well. Rely on others strength to help keep you and Mike Strong. Even though wound care is indeed nasty business thanks goodness he is home with you. Your partnership in love and hope hopefully will help the heailing go faster.
There are lots of us here with broad shoulders so its okay to lean us.

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:56 pm

Dori, I'm so sorry. Does the VN come in every day to do the morning dressing change? I will be sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

rosie

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:33 pm

Dori,
You are loving, and carying, and brave -- and now that you have this additional task, please be extra careful to take care of you own needs as well.
Vent as much as you need to.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:24 am

DoriC wrote:Well, maybe I'll feel better after I post this update. We saw the surgeon today and he lowered the boom and said the wound needs to be packed/dressed 2x/day as he's not happy with the way it looks. The visiting nurse also hinted at that yesterday. Since the VN only comes once in the AM I'll have to start doing it tomorrow with her supervision so I can do it again myself in the evening. I think I know the whole process but I'm not looking forward to actually doing it. The wound is still quite deep,about 4". But hopefully I'll be able to tackle this new situation the way I did the cpap and keep repeating the quote in my sig. Thanks for reading.
Bless your heart, Dori -- (and your hubby's too of course). I'm so sorry to hear of this. Sending you positive thoughts and tons of strength, although I really believe you have tons of strength. A little more couldn't hurt.

Keep the board posted please -- sending hugs.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:59 am

You know, sometimes when we post words of encouragement or empathy, we're not sure it means anything but let me tell you that after reading all your words of wisdom and kindness, I think I can move mountains! As a matter of fact, I did my "nursing" duties last night all by my lonesome and it went well. The VN was here this morning and was very pleased . She watched me do it again today and gave me a few more good tips so I'm feeling very hopeful now.She'll come again tomorrow AM. Of course the surgeon will have the final say on how well I'm doing on Monday. Mike is a little weepy and upset now that I have to do his wound care,he was praying I wouldn't have to, so the VN(Vicky) had a very meaningful talk with him and I think he's OK now. I'm also putting on a brave face. I hope all that are struggling with their own problems will find solutions quickly. Thanks again, Dori

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:25 am

Hugs to you, Dori. You are one very special lady!

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:35 am

Dori, thanks for checking in. Your inner strength and love for Mike inspire us all. Thank you for being here.