Chin Strap, mask issues.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dmac63

Chin Strap, mask issues.

Post by dmac63 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:44 am

Can someone please tell me the proper way to use a chin strap? Do you wear it under the mask head gear or over it? I must wear a chin strap because my mouth always comes open and dries out severely if I don't. I had a real basic chin strap that finally wore out so I ordered a deluxe one off of cpap.com which has sort of a stabilizing strap that goes around the back of the head. It seems like it was not worth the extra money to get the "deluxe" model!

I've been using my Fisher and Paykel "dumb" machine for almost a year now. I have had lots of issues with full face masks, even expensive ones" leaking and then found one that I loved, which fit over my nose and sort of floated on a cushion of air. Unfortunately, this one, over time, left a nasty, sore red spot across the bridge of my nose. So, I switched over to a Swift LT II, and it has worked pretty well. I'm so excited to not wake up with that sore, red spot across my nose! But, I do toss and turn a bit at night and sometimes the Swift's nasal pillows will be come dislodged and I have to wake up, adjust the bulky chin strap, put the head gear back on and get back to sleep.

So, would like some advice on the proper placement of the chinstrap in regards to the head gear. I have been putting on the chin strap first then the head gear. I'm thinking about ordering another chin strap like my old one (basic, not bulky). Also, have read a couple of glowing comments about the nasal prong type mask. Is it better than the pillow-type Swift LT that I'm using now?

Thanks for your advice!

RipVW

Re: Chin Strap, mask issues.

Post by RipVW » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:39 am

I think it just depends on what works best for you, depending on the chinstrap and mast/headgear combination you use, rather than a "right" or "wrong" way. Good luck!
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

Ms.Snuffleupagus

Post by Ms.Snuffleupagus » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:50 pm

I have the Respironics premium chin strap and wear it under the headgear of my nasal pillow mask - the Opus 360. Several of the forum members use the PaPcap and really like it for comfort and to prevent mouth leaks.

AirBreather

Post by AirBreather » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:44 pm

dmac63 wrote:Can someone please tell me the proper way to use a chin strap? Do you wear it under the mask head gear or over it?
Some people wear chin straps under their masks and others wear them over the top. The best way probably depends somewhat on the particular chin strap and mask being used.

I just started using a "Halo Chin Strap" and really like it. It is easy to adjust, very light, comfortable, unobtrusive, keeps my mouth shut, and doesn't slip out of position during the night (at least on my head). Cpap.com doesn't seem to carry it, but it is available from several sales sites on the web. I bought mine from a local DME supplier. I wear it under a Resmed Mirage Activa LT Nasal Mask.