newbie! help with mirage liberty full face! please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
blackberry37

newbie! help with mirage liberty full face! please

Post by blackberry37 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Fellow cpapers,
I need help with my mirage liberty full face. I keep leaking air from my mask. I think most of my leaking comes from the nasal pillows. Does anyone have any ideas how I can stop the leaking with my mask. I have tried all thee sizes of nasal pillows and they all seem to leak. The medium nasal pillows seem to fit best, but even they leak. Any help with this problem I'm having would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,
Chad

rubymom

Re: newbie! help with mirage liberty full face! please

Post by rubymom » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Chad, I've been successfully using the Liberty for more than a year now. My pillows would leak as well if I did not tie a shoelace around my head and in front of the pillows, thus pulling them in tighter. Not sure if that makes any sense. But it works for me.

Others use the "tights fix". You could do a search on that term and read more about it.

Good luck!

blackberry37

Post by blackberry37 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:23 am

Bump, please help me with my mirage liberty!

Sincerely,
Chad

roster

Post by roster » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:44 am

Go look at how I use the "ladies tights fix" on my Hybrid mask - wiki/index.php/Hybrid_Mask_Modifications

It is indispensable for me and may also work on the Liberty. It is also very comfortable - I don't even know it is on at night.

You might want to check out those fitting and adjustment tips in the same Wiki. Some of them will also apply to the Liberty mask.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

PJ the DJ

Post by PJ the DJ » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:00 am

Blackberry 37, you aren't alone on nasal pillow leaks. I was sailing along perfectly for the past two weeks with the Liberty, when I started getting leaks from what appears to be the nasal pillows - but not because they are becoming dislodged. They are fitting perfectly fine. Yet there is some leaking around either the base or sides. As a result, I have had to go back to the Quattro, my back up mask, which I do not love because even though I am using mask liners which helps immensely with leaks and lines on my face, I don't love the feel across the bridge of my nose...

Anyway, I am wondering if when I replaced the nasal pillows I made a mistake somewhere... Rooster, can you point me to a link to video or something that shows how the pillows should be replaced? I can't find one from google.

Thanks!
To sleep, perchance to dream. —Hamlet

roster

Post by roster » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:17 am

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

blackberry37

Post by blackberry37 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:41 pm

Bump! Any other help from my fellow cpaper? It would be appreciated very much. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Chad

blackberry37

Post by blackberry37 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Bump...bump... Any help from anyone??

Sincerely,
Chad

rubymom

Post by rubymom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:43 pm

What am I, chopped liver? Guess my answer wasn't good enough for ya. Good luck!

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:32 pm

Chad, many of us here using pillows require some sort of third strap to keep the pillows in place. I use 2 smallish hair scunchies in front of my pillows that anchor them more firmly in place. Rooster's suggestions work as does Ruby's...ya gotta try 'em to see which helps most.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

blackberry37

Post by blackberry37 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:39 am

Fellow cpapers,
Thanks for the tips from rooster, rubymom and muse. I really appreciated them. Does any other users of the liberty or the hybrid have any tips on to stop leakage from the nasal pillows on my mirage liberty? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Sincerely,
Chad

PJ the DJ

Post by PJ the DJ » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:02 am

Chad, I tried again unsuccessfully last night to stop the leaks in my Liberty nasal pillows. Standing up, I thought I had it licked. But when I laid down in bed the leaks started and standing up again didn't stop them. I took the nasal pillows out and carefully reinserted them. I then laid down, this time equipped with a small handheld magnifying mirror so I could see what the problem was. Sure enough, the right pillow was dislodging slightly. I fixed it but it kept leaking anyway.

I have decided to bite the bullet and try Rooster's ladies' tights trick. (Don't you love how he refers to them as ladies' tights as if we might mistakenly use mens' tights instead, but I digress. )

I think you (and me) have been given the solution that is working for the people on this forum. So let's give it a whirl. We have nothing to lose except sleepless nights...oh and maybe a pair of ladies' tights.

Tired Linda

Post by Tired Linda » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:48 am

blackberry37 wrote:Does any other users of the liberty or the hybrid have any tips on to stop leakage from the nasal pillows on my mirage liberty? Any help would be appreciated.
Dear Blackberry,
I did lots and lots of reading and research before I even got my equipment. Nothing prepared me for how hard this was actually going to be. I also use a hybrid. You've gotten suggestions from some of the best on this board.

If you still have leaks, you might want to try Lansinoh (available in the drugstore with supplies for nursing mothers). It's a lanolin cream you can dab on your nares and a little on the nasal pillows and it helps to seal.

Check you pillows and make sure they are seated correctly in the mask.

It's possible you need a different size pillow.

Don't give up until you try the tights fix around the pillows. I use it. Get a pair of pantyhose/tights when you buy the nipple cream and make people wonder what you're up to.

Linda
"There cannot be a stressful crisis next week. My schedule is already full."--Henry Kissinger

grady61

Post by grady61 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:31 am

OK this is what I did about the nasal pillow leaks. If you go to a dollar store or even maybe the grocery store purchase a bag of small hair scrunchys I put 2 around each trunk of the nasal pillows(sometimes one on each works) and make sure you tighten but dont over tighten the upper straps. These scrunchys are approx 1/2 inch in diameter-so they are very small and they are dirt cheap. Theyre something like this. http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/29 ... alers.html also I use the lansinoh and that does it for me as far as the leaks go. I dont need to do the stocking trick or any of that-just the scrunchys and the lansinoh

PJ the DJ

Post by PJ the DJ » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:22 am

I like the idea of the ponytail holders and lansinoh. Will buy some this afternoon and give it a whirl tonight. I also have old tights which I can cut up if the ponytail holders don't work. Thanks everyone for the tips. I'm working hard at this but I'm struggling too.