used remstar auto, good deal?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Imacpaper

used remstar auto, good deal?

Post by Imacpaper » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:18 am

I'm looking for a travel machine to use for occasional travel, I can across an older remstar auto, it has a smartcard and it looks like the humidifier connected to the front,not included. (that's all I know as I have only seen pictures of it)

My everyday machine is the remstar auto M with aflex. I have the flex set at 2. I'm guessing this machine has no exhaul releif, or does it?

The seller says it is in good shape and from non-smoking house. I can get it for about $65. Is this a thumbs up or down?

I also saw a fisher & paykel humidifier cheap. My understanding is that the fisher & paykel humidifiers can work with any machine, is this true?

I know I'm a big cheapo

Julie

Re: used remstar auto, good deal?

Post by Julie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:19 am

Don't assume or guess at anything - do ask. DO ask how many hours are on it (they can tell by looking at the window), because that will tell you (if they are honest) whether there's any life left in it or not.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:58 am

I don't think all F & P heated humidifiers can be used with any machine. I think it is just the F & P HC 150 stand alone heated humidifier that can be used with most machines. Most other F & P heated humidifiers are integrated into their specific machines, just as the heated humidifier for the machine you are looking at would be integrated into the machine.

The Respironics you are looking at can run without the humdifier, as (I think) the F & P machines can. If you need humidification, you should look at the F & P HC 150 stand alone or find the Respironics humidifier that goes with that machine. I expect it can be bought separately somewhere, although that machine has long been discontinued.

It is a bit bulky for travel, compared to the newer machines, particularly with the humidifier attached. I did travel with my old Respironics tank and attached humidifier though.

I would also want to know how many therapy hours are on that machine before I would consider buying it.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Imacpaper

Post by Imacpaper » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:59 pm

What is the life span of these devices? (in hours?)

jules

Post by jules » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:13 pm

Some of those Auto's (that is a tank) have cflex - some don't. The humidifier that fits it does sit in front (some were recalled for fire). That machine will give you data only with the card (can't swap card with m series without reformatting at least one way - not sure on both) and you can use older version of encore or current ones I expect.

The HC 150 is stand alone - so might be the 100 - not sure. Check it out carefully.

Imacpaper

Post by Imacpaper » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:22 pm

Talked to owner who says that it has 7900 hrs on unit as well as the model number is 1007381(so no c-flex).

Here is my thinking. 7900 hours divided by 8 and then divided by 365 says that this machine was used every night for 2.5 years. So this machine is half way through it's life. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) so for $60 bucks not so bad is it?

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:56 pm

Imacpaper wrote:Talked to owner who says that it has 7900 hrs on unit as well as the model number is 1007381(so no c-flex).

Here is my thinking. 7900 hours divided by 8 and then divided by 365 says that this machine was used every night for 2.5 years. So this machine is half way through it's life. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) so for $60 bucks not so bad is it?
I had a BiPAP for over 10 years. So, 5 years is conservative. $60 for a backup unit is not a bad deal.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:59 pm

It is about 1/2 through it's lifespan--- probably. Some of these machines have lasted a lot longer that 5 years though. I have a 7+ year old (not an auto but a pro) that is still running and holding it's pressure. These were well made machines I think. I had to have it repaired once at about the 2 1/2 year mark of it's life. I bought it in Canada, where we have a 3 year warranty, so it was just before the warranty was up.

The humidifier I have with it was one of the recalled ones and I got a replacement from Respironics.

It is hard to estimate the life span of these machines but you are right, $60 is not bad even if you just get a couple of years out of it.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:13 pm

I have both the Fischer and Paykel HC 100 and the 150 heated humidifiers. They are both stand alone and as far as I know the only difference is that the 150 is a new model with ambient tracking.

I say for $60.00 that is a good deal and would pick it up for a spare.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:03 pm

You need to be careful, the machine has two hours to read. When you first plug it in the true machine hours are shown for a short time, then the patient use hours are shown. The patient use hours can be reset (turning the odometer back).

It is a older unit if it has no C-Flex, however being a "Tank" it will probably outlast your "M", I have a used Classic Tank APAP, I bought used with the Odometer turned back, it's still running perfect at 10,250 hours. Buying anything new or used is a Crap Shoot, at $60, if it runs well and works correctly, it would be worth a shot, after it's just a tank of gas. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm

If it was a model with C-Flex, it should have a blue sticker with white lettering on the top of it that says "C-Flex".

What's your pressure(s)?
If you turn off the Flex settings in your machine, you'll get an idea of whether you can handle it.

Some old machines will last a long time and some newer ones won't.......and vice-versa. It's the luck of the draw.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Imacpaper

Post by Imacpaper » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:31 pm

You need to be careful, the machine has two hours to read. When you first plug it in the true machine hours are shown for a short time, then the patient use hours are shown.
The owner stated that this is the number that firsts showed up so I'm guessing it is true machine hours.
If you turn off the Flex settings in your machine, you'll get an idea of whether you can handle it.

This is great advise..Thanks.

jules

Post by jules » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:44 pm

these machines aren't that available and some of us might want parts over time for a broken one - I only have the two Pro 2 and APAP and I am not using cflex so if I blew out a PCB I could use that PCB or the blowers are probably interchangeable etc. ---- if it doesn't work entirely there are probably parts that can be salvaged and sold or given away here

Wulfman and Goofproof have lots of back up machines but not everyone does.

Imacpaper

Post by Imacpaper » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:05 pm

Where would be a good place to find a used humidifier for this unit. I checked cpapauctions and nothing, I have found some new ones online but $200 for a humidifier for a $60 machine doesn't seem right. Any Ideas?

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:56 am

I got the two (the 100 and 150 F&P) from craigslist. They cost me $50.00 each. Check there.

Place an ad looking for one as well, both on craigslist and on a local venue. You might be surprised at what you come up with.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.