Not sure if the humidifier is working

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gabagoo

Not sure if the humidifier is working

Post by gabagoo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:34 pm

My unit is less than 6 months old and I keep the humidity at number 2. Most nights I can go about 5-7 hours with the mask but the last 3 or 4 nights I have taken it off at about the 2 hour mark and in 3 of those cases I don't even remember doing it although I find the mask sitting on top of the unit, so I must have been a little conscience at the time. I notice in the last week that when I check the humidifier it does not seem to need to be refilled and that is odd as all summer long I was refilling it every 2 or 3 days.
I can't figure out why I keep taking it off and if it is related to the humidity. I also changed out my filters and did a good cleaning of the mask and the tube.

Any ideas why I am experiencing this?

ps, I am also wondering if it has anything to do with possible blocked sinuses...although I seem fine when I go to sleep.

Pugsy

Re: Not sure if the humidifier is working

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:39 pm

What has the relative humidity been lately in the house? Has it changed...has it been raining much lately?
Amount of water consumed varies with a number of things but ambient humidity plays a significant part. I will use almost all the water one night and if it rains and the ambient humidity is high I might not use much water at all. This with all other factors being the same that can also affect water consumption like pressures used and leak rates.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:39 pm

If you don't need as much humidity now as in e.g. July, it's probably because the weather's changed and isn't as dry... or do you think it needs to be more complicated :D ?

You can also post SH graphs for us to see if anything else is going on.

Your sinuses may be blocked from having too much humidity when it's not needed.
Last edited by Julie on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:18 pm

Try tuning it to the max. Even if you don't find that very comfortable, at least you can prove it's working (then turn it back).

freetimecreations

Post by freetimecreations » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:21 pm

D.H. wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:18 pm
Try tuning it to the max. Even if you don't find that very comfortable, at least you can prove it's working (then turn it back).
I too have asked myself if the hose or water tank were working. Turning up both to max and within minutes I knew they were heating as I could feel the temperature change with the palm of my hand. Hold the hose or after a few minutes pull out the tank and touch the bottom. Yes, our body temperature is about 98.6 but our sense of touch usually is good enough to notice this temperature change.

gabagoo

Post by gabagoo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:46 am

Last night I was back to normal...I re cleaned the hose and ran water through it for a good minute or so. I think maybe there was some soap residue left behind. I was talking to my wife and she said that the last few nights she could smell something coming out of the mask when I was facing her that was sort of like the smell of over ripe apples...who knows...but I slept the entire night last night.