Drowning even with a hose cover!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ka-ann

Drowning even with a hose cover!!

Post by ka-ann » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:21 pm

Rain rain go away!! I have had lots of trouble with rainout in the hose and in the mask. I have a cover that I ordered and put on. It is nice and warm and makes the hose softer. My humidifier level is on 2 and I actually need more as I am still waking with dry mouth and eyes. On the 2 setting I am getting a lot of water in my hose and in my mask. I woke up last night and felt some water go up my nose!! I have the hose draped up over my headboard and my machine is low on a short stool. I think the water is running down to my mask. If I lower the hose from the headboard it will gurgle and get full of water all through the night! Also, I keep my bedroom around 70-72 degrees so it is not cold in there so I don't know why I am still having trouble with it. This probably a dumb questions but ...Is there a way I can lower the heat on the humidifier without lowering the humidity? Any other suggestions??? I know a heated hose would be great and I would love to have a heated hose but I can't order one right now. My husband and I have both had our work days cut and are on a strict budget . Your help is so appreciated! Thanks!!
Karen
Everything works out okay in the end...if it's not okay then it's not the end!

steelheadid

Re: Drowning even with a hose cover!!

Post by steelheadid » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:42 pm

I have the exact system you do other than I use the Resmed Mirage Quatro full face mask. My humidifier setting is the same and our room temperature is also the same and I do not have any rainout issues. I have also turned up my humidifier, not because I need to but just to see what would happen, to a 4 setting and still got no rainout. I have my machine on a stand that is level with or slightly higher than the bed but I drape the hose on the bed no above me.
My only thoughts are that either the Quatro mask has a better ventilation system and is allowing the humidity to escape more than yours. Does your hose possibly have a small hole or holes in it that are allowing more air into it thus causing the condensation. Or maybe you should talk with your dme and explain the problem, it is possible that you have a defective humidifier.
I live in a dry mountainous climate which I know also helps my situation.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:47 pm

ka-ann wrote:Rain rain go away!! I have had lots of trouble with rainout in the hose and in the mask. I have a cover that I ordered and put on. It is nice and warm and makes the hose softer. My humidifier level is on 2 and I actually need more as I am still waking with dry mouth and eyes. On the 2 setting I am getting a lot of water in my hose and in my mask. I woke up last night and felt some water go up my nose!! I have the hose draped up over my headboard and my machine is low on a short stool. I think the water is running down to my mask. If I lower the hose from the headboard it will gurgle and get full of water all through the night! Also, I keep my bedroom around 70-72 degrees so it is not cold in there so I don't know why I am still having trouble with it. This probably a dumb questions but ...Is there a way I can lower the heat on the humidifier without lowering the humidity? Any other suggestions??? I know a heated hose would be great and I would love to have a heated hose but I can't order one right now. My husband and I have both had our work days cut and are on a strict budget . Your help is so appreciated! Thanks!!
Karen
Karen,
Is your nose stuffy when you wake up? If so, the humidifier heater element may not be functioning correctly. At a setting of 2 (out of 6?) you should probably not be getting rainout in Georgia, especially with a room temp of 70-72 degrees. You might also consider the following options:
1. Turn off the heat altogether and just use the humidifier in pass-through mode.
2. Double-wrap your hose.

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:10 pm

I am dealing with rain out issues as well. Bought myself an aussie hose. It is cool living in upstate NY. We heat my home with forced air gas fired furnace. So the house gets very dry over the winter months. In order to feel comfortable i was running my machine at the 2.5 setting and was bathed in water drop lets. I purchased a fleece hose cover and still had to run my machine at 1.5 at best in order to combat moisture. I bought an Aussie hose and it just arrived yesterday. In order to feel comfortable I prefer the setting to be 2.5 or so. I have a head cold and some sinus blockage. In order to be able to breathe at all with my nose mask i had to crank up the humidity. That helped me breathe about 3.0 ish but there was water in my mask. I found that if i slept on my side which I dont normally do it helped and i draped the hose from my mask right over the side of the bed. The machine is near the floor. If i try to drape the hose over the head board as others have sugested that made the water issue in my mask worse. At this point i am battling moisture even with the aussie because of my cold. Once i return to normal from the cold i should be able to run my humidity setting a little higher with the heater but this issue is not yet resolved for me. I know without the humidity help I cant seem to breathe and wish i had a ffm as a back up.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:35 pm

Are you putting too much water in your humidifier? You say it gurgles when you lower the hose, mine does that if I overfill it. I try to put just enough water in to get me through the night.

rosie

Imacpaper

Post by Imacpaper » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Up here in Maine things get a little chilly and the furnace runs alot so things get dry. I was getting rain-out and don't have much money so I bought fleece at Walmart for $2.50 and made my own cover, helped some. I then bought the reptile cable ( viewtopic.php?t=27579 ) for like $17.00 or $18.00 and life is now good (and for cheap)

allen476

Post by allen476 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:58 pm

I wasn't a believer at first but I tried this very shortly after when I switched to a pillow mask.

viewtopic.php?p=237606#p237606

Very affordable way to try to stop the rainout. If I remember right they are $12 through Amazon and you can get free 2 day shipping if you sign up for Amazon Prime (Just remember to cancel the membership before the month is up).

(Edit: I checked Amazon, Now about $13.50 + $7 shipping, doesn't qualify for free shipping. reptile supply has them for $13 + $8 USPS Priority shipping, sorry was working on memory when I ordered it in January)

Allen