international trip - US Custom clearance

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
goro

international trip - US Custom clearance

Post by goro » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:08 am

I am using CPAP Airsense 11 in US.
I have a trip plan to go to Japan with CPAP. JPN gov says I have to get the permission to bring the prescribed medical device in advance even I use it personally and will bring back to US after vacation. I thought dr. letter would be enough, but actually not. Anyway, I am now preparing application to JPN gov.

Then, now I wonder if I need to get any permission from US gov. in advance to bring back CPAP to US. Does anybody know?

stevenal

Re: international trip - US Custom clearance

Post by stevenal » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:46 pm

I've taken my Z1 to Europe twice without any problem in either direction.
AirSence 10 Autoset, Dreamstation 2 backup, Swift FX, Z1 for travel.

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:49 pm

Nothing is needed. I've taken mine to a few countries in Europe, Asia, and Australia, with no issues in any country even with local puddle-jumper airlines.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:55 pm

if you are thinking, it could be a costly mistake you could consider calling the US state department or customs department?

I can’t imagine them giving you a hard time for a medical device but I understand you being nervous about it.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

bayareacpap

Post by bayareacpap » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:25 pm

goro wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:08 am
Then, now I wonder if I need to get any permission from US gov. in advance to bring back CPAP to US. Does anybody know?
I went through researching this process when I went to Africa and returned to US a few years ago. I did a lot of research since I was going to be there for a good amount of time and did not want to have any issues. No one ever asked about it at all (airline or airport in the US, Europe, and Africa). I did have a prescription and a letter from my doctor saying it was necessary as the airline said it might be required when my travel agent asked about it in advance (again no one asked about it).

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:10 pm

goro wrote:
I have a trip plan to go to Japan with CPAP. JPN gov says I have to get the permission to bring the prescribed medical device in advance even I use it personally and will bring back to US after vacation. I thought dr. letter would be enough, but actually not. Anyway, I am now preparing application to JPN gov.
Four people have answered you. None of them have ever taken their CPAP to Japan. One of them has never taken their CPAP outside their house.
goro wrote:
JPN gov says I have to get the permission to bring the prescribed medical device in advance even I use it personally and will bring back to US after vacation.
I don't know who you asked. They may not have understood the question, and they may not understand Japanese regulations. There are no documentation requirements for taking a CPAP for personal use with you to Japan.
[Q] Do I need any documentation to travel with my CPAP equipment to Japan?
[A] No documentation is mandated for travel to Japan with a CPAP device. However, please confirm any special conditions with your airline prior to use onboard any aircraft.
https://www.cpap-japan.com/pages/using-cpap-in-japan#:

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:33 pm

If you are still worried, contact the US State Department.

goro

Post by goro » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:56 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:10 pm
goro wrote:
Four people have answered you. None of them have ever taken their CPAP to Japan. One of them has never taken their CPAP outside their house.
goro wrote:
JPN gov says I have to get the permission to bring the prescribed medical device in advance even I use it personally and will bring back to US after vacation.
I don't know who you asked. They may not have understood the question, and they may not understand Japanese regulations. There are no documentation requirements for taking a CPAP for personal use with you to Japan.
[Q] Do I need any documentation to travel with my CPAP equipment to Japan?
[A] No documentation is mandated for travel to Japan with a CPAP device. However, please confirm any special conditions with your airline prior to use onboard any aircraft.
https://www.cpap-japan.com/pages/using-cpap-in-japan#:
I talked with JPN custom directly. Then, they said I need to talk with JPN gov health department. Both of them react, "oh, CPAP." So, they know what I am talking about. According to them, if I bring the medical device prescribed by Dr, I have to get the permission in advance. You can see Q&A in application form. The example shows how to fill in for CPAP.
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/h ... ls/01.html
The point might be "prescribed". Even if Japanese takes out prescribed CPAP from JPN to oversea vacation, they have to get the permission to bring back to JPN, according to JPN gov.
By the way, I am a native Japanese speaker.

I already talked with airline company, they registerred me to use CPAP onboard.

goro

Post by goro » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:58 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:33 pm
If you are still worried, contact the US State Department.
Yes, it might be correct way. But if I ask, I may have to fill in something in advance like JPN gov. says.

mpeg2

Post by mpeg2 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:14 pm

FWIW, my family went to Japan in 2017 from the US. My wife carried her CPAP as she usually did when traveling with me. No questions were asked upon entering Japan (at Narita airport, Tokyo) - nor when departing Japan and re-entering the US. We didn't do anything special concerning customs or getting any kind of clearance.

goro

Post by goro » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:09 pm

mpeg2 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:14 pm
FWIW, my family went to Japan in 2017 from the US. My wife carried her CPAP as she usually did when traveling with me. No questions were asked upon entering Japan (at Narita airport, Tokyo) - nor when departing Japan and re-entering the US. We didn't do anything special concerning customs or getting any kind of clearance.
Thank you. Yes, it is useful info.

About JPN, if following the rule strictly, I think we have to get the permission. Anyway, I need to get the permission for prescribed medication too because of 2 months dosage. The medication itself is very normal medication for high blood pressure, though. I have still time to get the permission, I will try.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:22 pm

goro wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:56 pm

I talked with JPN custom directly. Then, they said I need to talk with JPN gov health department. Both of them react, "oh, CPAP." So, they know what I am talking about. According to them, if I bring the medical device prescribed by Dr, I have to get the permission in advance. You can see Q&A in application form. The example shows how to fill in for CPAP.
The point might be "prescribed". Even if Japanese takes out prescribed CPAP from JPN to oversea vacation, they have to get the permission to bring back to JPN, according to JPN gov.

From the link you provided:
When you bring your personal medical devices into Japan up to the amount described below, you do not have to apply for "Yunyu Kakunin-sho", instead the officers at customs check the amount of your bringing devices, and then you can bring them into Japan.
The link you provided says you do not have to fill out the forms. The Customs Officer will only check the number of machines and allow you to enter.

I trust you to take care of yourself. However, other visitors to Japan should not read this and then try to jump through hoops to bring their CPAPs.

Enjoy your trip!

goro

Post by goro » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:30 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:22 pm
goro wrote:

From the link you provided:
When you bring your personal medical devices into Japan up to the amount described below, you do not have to apply for "Yunyu Kakunin-sho", instead the officers at customs check the amount of your bringing devices, and then you can bring them into Japan.
The link you provided says you do not have to fill out the forms. The Customs Officer will only check the number of machines and allow you to enter.

I trust you to take care of yourself. However, other visitors to Japan should not read this and then try to jump through hoops to bring their CPAPs.

Enjoy your trip!
Yes, I thought the same way. I told JPN gov that I will bring one set of CPAP for my personal use and I will ask the customs officer will check. Then, JPN gov. answer is NO. They said if not prescribed medical device, no application is required up to one set and for personal use. But CPAP is prescribed device, regardless the number of machines the application is required.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:10 pm

goro wrote:
Maybe that's because you're a Japanese citizen, bringing a CPAP you bought in the US to Japan, and they want to make sure you're not importing it for other purposes (e.g. sell cheaply)? Some customs regulations are often there for taxation purposes. As in "you have to pay this and that tax for this object, and I don't care if you bought it for your personal / medical use when you were abroad. You still have to pay the tax! Unless you show an agreement from our own government to waive the tax"

I'm a not a US citizen. Travelled to the US with a CPAP I bought in my own country. Had my prescription along - I always do.
No problem with US customs, no need to register, announce, fill forms - nothing. I don't remember if I showed my Rx on arrival - this was years ago.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

goro

Post by goro » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:23 pm

ozij wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:10 pm
goro wrote:
Maybe that's because you're a Japanese citizen, bringing a CPAP you bought in the US to Japan, and they want to make sure you're not importing it for other purposes (e.g. sell cheaply)? Some customs regulations are often there for taxation purposes. As in "you have to pay this and that tax for this object, and I don't care if you bought it for your personal / medical use when you were abroad. You still have to pay the tax! Unless you show an agreement from our own government to waive the tax"

I'm a not a US citizen. Travelled to the US with a CPAP I bought in my own country. Had my prescription along - I always do.
No problem with US customs, no need to register, announce, fill forms - nothing. I don't remember if I showed my Rx on arrival - this was years ago.
Unfortunately, Japanese citizenship does not matter. The funny thing is there is no Japanese manual how to fill in the application. JPN gov says all manual is English, but please read it and fill in... Then, JPN gov said their concern is to make sure the device does not cause the health issue.

I called Resmed branch office in Japan which homepage is provided by ChicagoGranny. Then, they say their info on their homepage is wrong and they will correct it. They say I have to submit the application and get the permission from JPN gov.