New ResMed and Fisher & Paykel machines

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WillSucceed

New ResMed and Fisher & Paykel machines

Post by WillSucceed » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:47 am

Are any of you aware of new models coming out from these manufacturers in the new year? My status as a Luddite remains intact -I have not been able to find anything online however, I've been told by a manufacturer rep that new machines are on the horizon. Any of you have a heads-up on new stuff?
Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

Autopapdude

Re: New ResMed and Fisher & Paykel machines

Post by Autopapdude » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:57 am

Have you ever considered the Intellipap? I love mine. It is a great little machine.

Kemosabe2

Post by Kemosabe2 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:30 pm

If you google ResMed S9 you'll get some pages that have educated guesses on what their new machines may have that are different. I'm pretty sure that the changes are that you'll be able to get data wirelessly and that Resmed may be making a portable battery so that you can use the machine without plugging it in, which would be a big help while traveling (flying, etc.) Hope this helps.

peppi

Post by peppi » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:54 pm

I'm pretty sure that the changes are that you'll be able to get data wirelessly
Yep... Like I said, good Idea, bad business idea Sure glad I didnt spend any time MAKING software.

About time these machines got out of the 90's!

Card reader ? I'll take one and I want to super size my order with an 8 track player please.

I hope they also add an energy saver feature that actually turns off the machine when not in use!

Thanks,
Phil

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:08 pm

peppi wrote:I hope they also add an energy saver feature that actually turns off the machine when not in use!
Using a switchable power outlet addresses that problem right now!

Cheers,

Bill

peppi

Post by peppi » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks Bill!
I didnt think about it for my CPAP but my entire house is equipped with Cooper lIghting Z-wave automated switches and recepticals. Its a nice technology unlike the old X-10 stuff. Its a mesh network that gets stronger as you add devices. No amplifers or power line filters needed. Ive never had a false on/off and its two way.
I just need to replace the receptical the machine is connected to to a Z-wave RF receptical.

As far as the S9, I found these quotes from someone supposedly in the know:
And it looks like the future trend is going to be or being seriously considered, forget cables and smart cards or even smart drives but rather wireless transfer of data to oneline sources.

I had lunch last week with the regional vice president of ResMed Europe (don't mean to bum or anything ) as they like to keep in touch with patient support groups.

No specific mention of an S9, but a lot of talk of independent power supplies (batteries), wireless data transfer etc. Some time back I mentioned (here) a portable machine that I borrowed for travel and camping in Australia, powered by a lithium ion battery. The machine was from a French company called Kaerys........not FDA Approved, but CE Approved..........well, good old ResMed have taken over this company and are very intrigued with the technology that Kaerys use. A number of years back they also took over a German company called MAPS, who also had very good technology. It is their intention to integrate these technologies into future machines.

The general push seems to be towards 'patient focused therapy', rather than just developing medical devices. Some, in the industry, like the idea that a patient sees their sleep doctor, get diagnosed and leave the rest in the hands of the CPAP people........who will set you up, maintain you, titrate you, liaise with your doctor and 'sell' you anything you need to ensure comfort and optimal therapy. Future technology seems to be moving towards 'convenience'........same principals, smaller, neater equipment geared towards.....truckers/regular travellers (litium ion batteries that are rechargeable as you drive). The really big players (ResMed & Phillips) are more inclined to buy out the smaller companies......if their technology is good......and then incorporate the technology in their machines.

I do think we are facing interesting times.
Phil

Thanks,
Phil

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:53 pm

... Some, in the industry, like the idea that a patient sees their sleep doctor, get diagnosed and leave the rest in the hands of the CPAP people........who will set you up, maintain you, titrate you, liaise with your doctor and 'sell' you anything you need to ensure comfort and optimal therapy. ...
GAWD!!! THAT TERRIFIES ME!!! Leave the rest in the hands of the local DME providers????? Isn't that what is going on now???

And going wireless and taking away my access to my data so I'm the victim of these local DME provider people????? So I don't even have any way of double checking them??? Hell! When we even need to double check our regular care doctors ....

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for the replies...
I've done some hunting (bearing in mind that I'm a Luddite) and have not found much. I'll keep looking.
Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

peppi

Post by peppi » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:54 pm

And going wireless and taking away my access to my data so I'm the victim of these local DME provider people????? So I don't even have any way of double checking them??? Hell! When we even need to double check our regular care doctors ....
I wouldnt worry about that. Once the info is wireless, ResMed would be crazy to try to keep that out of the users hands.
Talk about hackers coming out of the wood work! SNIFF SNIFF.

No I think it will be an Ethernet 802 compliant device and if they are smart, they will use the feature to sell machines instead of trying to prevent consumers from using it to at least monitor .

Just think of all the users that would flock to buy a wireless device they can monitor. And think again about all the consumers that would run away from it if it were not.
I think Resmed knows that technology is flowing faster every passing year and consumers are getting much smarter due to it.

Although it did take 10 years for them to catch up to wireless!

Best,
Phil

Thanks,
Phil

Doze

Post by Doze » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:10 am

Was at my doctor's this week for a follow-up. The topic of Auto machines came up, and he mentioned that a Fisher & Paykel rep had recently presented to him, and that he was quite pleased that their brand new Auto machine is set to be introduced at [what seemed to him to be an amazingly reasonable] $400 price point. So, unverified and second-hand, but that's what was said.

I can easily imagine a scenario where a device rep would present about a new product line, emphasize the higher-end features like Auto, and then quote a starting pricepoint for the entire line. That's fairly common practice across sales-folks in about any sector, IMO. So I'd discount the $400 aspect as possibly miscommunicated or misinterpreted btw rep and doc. But at least it's some small corroboration about a new machine from F&P on the horizon.

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:33 am

Hi Doze:

Any chance that the Dr. mentioned the name or model # of the new F & P machine?

dsm

Post by dsm » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:50 pm

I came across the below trade mark apps from Resmed (including the above image of a bird). The S9 mark was applied
for in Sept last year.

DSM

'S9' trademark appl filed on 19th Sept 2008
http://www.gazettegobbler.com/index.php ... cid=826016

'MVAPS' applied for on 11th Feb 2009
http://www.gazettegobbler.com/index.php ... cid=969829

An image of a hummingbird (or similar, or a 'swift' ?)
http://www.gazettegobbler.com/index.php ... cid=691486
http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/ols/ ... .1.med.jpg
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Doze

Post by Doze » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:52 am

WillSucceed wrote:Any chance that the Dr. mentioned the name or model # of the new F & P machine?
Sorry, no talk of model or any specifics at all. He only mentioned their 'brand new upcoming' Auto with respect to the pricepoint. It wasn't even a tangent to our converstaion, just a one-shot comment intended to prove an assertion. We had been on the topic of auto vs 'standard' and he was attempting to express that the price differential must be narrowing if this new F&P auto can be offered so cheaply.

LackingSleep

Post by LackingSleep » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:02 pm

I have heard that the Resmed S9 machines are only currently available in Australia and will be coming to the States by Mid 2010. The Respironics series
System One (which is similar to the M Series, except for the A Flex/C Flex technology)and Q series - Newest model. The Q series I have heard only carries the Pollen FIlters which is strange since they do not filter much of anything except larger particles. I do see some sites out there that sell the ultra fine filters and pollen for all 3 systems and they are all the same filter - can anyone substantiate this (size similarities)? I have a Respironics Remstar Pro M Series and was thinking of getting the Q series since the "Q" stands for quiet and I would be very interested in using the same filters since i bought in bulk. This is the site i see selling all 3 filters as the same: cpapfiltersandsuupplies.com .

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:38 pm

@ members in the US already say they have S9s - also they have been officially released in the UK.

We haven't seen them here in Oz yet (as of yesterday).

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)