oxygen and bipap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
old_backhoe_man

oxygen and bipap

Post by old_backhoe_man » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:55 pm

I'm having problems tolerating my bipap (I tear the mask off my face soon after falling asleep). My doctor offered to put me on oxygen at night, but said the oxygen could not be used with the machine. My brother has used a cpap with oxygen so I'm confused about what the doc said. Anyone have any experience with oxygen as treatment for sleep apnea?

bob o.

tearing mask off

Post by bob o. » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:12 pm

Hello...Many folks have trouble tolerating cpap/bipap soon after starting therapy. Let me encourage you to continue on. If all you tolerate is an hour or two at first, then that's your starting point. It can take up to several months for some folks to get completely used to the mask and pressurized air. Don't give up! You have to have an honest talk with yourself. The therapy is extremely beneficial regarding sleep quality and cardiac health. As you sit on the bed preparing for your night's sleep, have a talk with yourself about the purpose of the therapy and what you hope to accomplish that night. Tell yourself that you have to keep the mask on...period. No exceptions. And don't beat yourself up if you fail...keep on!

bob o.

Part 2: tearing mask off.

Post by bob o. » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:50 pm

Had to leave for a moment but am back to address your 02 concerns. 02 by nasal cannula does little to help the person with OSA. remember, your problem is due to obstruction and not 02 lack. When the throat closes off, you can apply all the 02 in the world but nothing can get by the closure. Some folks have 02 bled-in to their machines, but this is determined from their sleep study. Hope this helps. I emphasize, please don't give up...you can turn the corner.

EbonyEyes

Post by EbonyEyes » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:44 pm

because i have CHF i have no choice but to use oxygen with my CPAP it doesnt bother me i cant tell the difference

old_backhoe_man

Post by old_backhoe_man » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:00 pm

Thanks for the comments. I decided against using oxygen at night and I'm sticking with the bipap. I did call my doc back - just in case I had misunderstood him - but I'm beginning to think it's the doc who doesn't understand.

I have known that I have obstructive sleep apnea for many, many years, but none of my doctors ever took it seriously. I was diagnosed with hypertension and edema about six years ago, and have been on medication ever since. Then last summer I went into heart failure. My wife asked if my sleep apnea could be a factor, but my doc refused to insert sleep apnea into the equation, probably because I have no insurance and a sleep study costs more than $2,000.

So my wife consulted a friend of hers - a retired endocrinologist - who told her that my health problems were directly a result of sleep apnea. Her friend also said he was apalled that my doc wanted to treat the symptoms but not the actual CAUSE of my health problems.

My wife then ordered my doc to pursue the sleep-apnea angle more aggressively. He told her that it was his understanding that money was a problem and that we couldn't afford a sleep study. She told him that a $2,000 sleep study is cheaper than a funeral, and he scheduled the sleep study immediately.

So I did the sleep study and bought my bipap. I go to sleep with the mask on every night, but I take it off soon after I fall asleep. I've tried different masks and pressures to no avail. My sleep pattern has deteriorated dramatically. I can't work now because I can't stay awake during the day. After I spent the entire month of October asleep on the couch, my doc suggested replacing the bipap machine with a bottle of oxygen.

Then I found this forum and I posted my question about treating sleep apnea with oxygen. I called my doc back and read him the responses I had received. He explained that he wants me on oxygen at night to prevent further damage to my heart. That makes sense. So I asked him if I could hook up the oxygen tube to my bipap machine. His answer was no - that the bipap is for air only and cannot be used to deliver O2. That doesn't make sense - my brother uses oxygen with his cpap, as prescribed by his doctor.

So at night, instead of using the bipap, I'm supposed to be inhaling O2 via a little nasal tube. I argued that as bad as my breathing obstruction is, I might as well stick the oxygen tube in my ear as in my nose. My doc said he understood my concerns, "but that's not the way it works". He insists oxygen is the way to go. I think it would be a waste of money - which I don't have because I can't work anymore.

I thought maybe a mild sleeping pill would help me relax enough to tolerate the bipap longer. The doc said no to the sleeping pill, but that I could try melatonin and valerian root to help me sleep at night.

I just want some sleep.

IllinoisRRT

Post by IllinoisRRT » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:16 pm

OBM,
I think your doctor is mistaken. First of all, if you have a problem with obstruction, then wearing just oxygen is only going to "cover up" what's really wrong- the obstruction! Secondly, you CAN wear oxygen with a BiPAP- it's done all the time. Wearing a cannula with your mask would not be as effective, but you can bleed oxygen into every BiPAP that I know of. It probably won't keep you from keeping your mask on, but since you can still desaturate without obstruction, it WILL help. If you're taking your mask off without knowing it, maybe your pressures aren't high enough and you feel like you're suffocating? Just a suggestion. Hope that helps!
Christine RRT

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:18 pm

Thank you so much, Christine, for your reply to "old backhoe man". I hope he'll be able to get away from the doctor who has been giving him such pathetic "advice", and find his way to a more knowledgeable professional.

Popinka? Are you thinking "medical malpractice" as you read how the doctor was treating that man?

I wish "old backhoe man" lived in your town, Christine, where you'd know what he needs and how to get it. As you said, he could certainly be using bipap and oxygen together.

I also wish that the ResMed CS 2 machine (still undergoing FDA trials in this country and targeted at OSA patients with heart failure) were already available to "old backhoe man".

LDuyer

Hi

Post by LDuyer » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:02 pm

I have a bipap and am now having oxygen added. It is just a small tube which gets attached to the humidifier unit where the air from the bipap is blown through. My doctor said that without the humidifier, the narrow oxygen tube is inserted into one of the holes of the mask. So your doctor must be nuts, is all I can figure.

Linda

jayjay135

Re: oxygen and bipap

Post by jayjay135 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Hello, My wife uses a BiPAP respironics machine with an oxygen concentrator! She was said to be a "complex sleeper" and needed the oxygen. This may help you!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:05 am

Ahhh, sometimes the ignorance of medical professionals still manages to amaze me!

I have COPD. I have been on supplemental oxygen since before starting CPAP in October 2006. I was started on a CPAP, then an APAP and then switched to a bi-level PAP (since March 2008) and oxygen at night supplements my PAP via the 02 tubing being attached to the nipple of a small adapter that is placed between the humidifier's hose attachment and the mask hose. Simple, simple set up.

02 supplementation is NOT cheap! It is considerably more expensive than PAP therapy. Given your health conditions 02 supplementation may well be needed along w/your bi-level PAP therapy. I would strongly suggest that you help yourself acclimate to bi-level PAP therapy by moving your PAP to the living or family room and spending an hour or so on and off during the day, weekends and early evening just sitting w/the mask on and your PAP turned on whilst you read the newspaper, magazine or a good book, work a jigsaw or crossword puzzle, watch TV, whatever. Just wear your mask and use your PAP whilst you are busy doing something to occupy your mind other than "I've got to get to sleep"!

Also, it would be wise to request that two overnight oximetries be prescribed for you. One night w/bi-level PAP and no 02 supplementation and one night w/both bi-level PAP and 02 supplementation bled in. To get the most accurate results tho you will want to be able to wear your mask and use your PAP as long as possible during the two nights.

Your health is too precious to be squandered by a medical professional who is out of his league and not sensible enough to refer you on to a fellow medical professional who is better equipped to treat your problems.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Hertwin2

Post by Hertwin2 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Run as fast as you can to another doctor! What are you waiting for? I have an extreme case of sleep apnea and have started using a bipap WITH OXYGEN BLEED IN! Find a reputable physician NOW! Sounds like you really know this guy isn't doing right by you, so please, take your case elsewhere! Look for a sleep disorder clinic. Best of luck and hoping you have success and on to better health!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Hertwin2 wrote:Run as fast as you can to another doctor! What are you waiting for? I have an extreme case of sleep apnea and have started using a bipap WITH OXYGEN BLEED IN! Find a reputable physician NOW! Sounds like you really know this guy isn't doing right by you, so please, take your case elsewhere! Look for a sleep disorder clinic. Best of luck and hoping you have success and on to better health!
I doubt if he can run fast, if fact if he didn't get another real doctor, he's probably dead as this post is 10 years old and hasbeen recycled twice.

In the beginning post he needed to list his equipment, and how it was used, then we could have helped him use his equiptment, that wasn't done or suggested. Truly his Doctor wasn't up to treating anyone. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

papman857

Post by papman857 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:11 am

Yes you can use oxygen with cpap / bipap. ...There is an adapter call an O2 enrichment adapter specifically designed for that purpose. Find a new doctor who is more familiar with sleep apnea. Best of luck

NeNeen

Post by NeNeen » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:07 pm

I have been using O2 with my CPAP since day one. There is an attachment that goes between the humidfier and the mask hose. It blocks the O2 from back flowing into the humidfier. My DME actually didn't know about it until I called them and told them that the user manual said it was required when using O2. There is a small tip that you attach the O2 hose to. I gave them the part number and they got it for me. When I was in the hospital a few months later the respirator therapist was very happy and pleased that I had the filter.

Jeannine in NV