CPAP equipment and Flex Spending Accounts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
2ndGenCPAPgal

CPAP equipment and Flex Spending Accounts

Post by 2ndGenCPAPgal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Can I submit CPAP equipment purchases to my Flexible Spending Account for reimbursement? (those accounts that you have $$$ taken out of each check for things like co-pays, glasses, etc) If so, is it typically subject to any sort of replacement "schedule" like regular insurance? or would I be able to order a bunch of stuff at year end to keep from loosing any unused amount?

Also, am I correct that "comfort" items like hose covers and Pur-sleep would not be reimbursable expenses?

This is probably a silly question, but the plan docs don't mention it specifically and my HR folks aren't familiar with it either. So I am hoping someone here has experience with this.

Babette

Re: CPAP equipment and Flex Spending Accounts

Post by Babette » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:40 pm

YES!

I submit the 30% that my insurance doesn't pay, because I prefer to purchase out of pocket from cpap.com, and submit to my insurance myself, because it's FAR LESS OF A HASSLE for me, than to use their "preferrred" brick and mortar DME. Someday, when I have nothing better to do, I'm going to send a scathing letter to Premera (my insurance) demanding that they enter the 21st century, and reimburse me 100% for those purchaes. But for now, I'm just going with it.

I also submit for reimbursement from my FSA when I purchase supplies that I don't necessarily submit to my insurance. Twice a year I make a big purchase of mask, hose, filters, chinstrap. That one I send to insurance and FSA. But if I find myself needing supplies in the meantime, often those just go to FSA. For example, I bought two used CPAP's, and needed filters for them that I didn't already have. So I bought filters off my twice yearly schedule.

Why twice a year only? Because I know they will pay it. I could probably submit more often, but frankly, I don't need to. My mask cannula lasts me about that long.

So, in short - YES!

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

2ndGenCPAPgal

Post by 2ndGenCPAPgal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks Babette! This (2010) is my first year using it so I'm not positive how much to budget. Of course it doesn't help that our insurance plan year isn't up until April and they are talking about increased costs so I'm really not sure what to expect. I'm probably way over in my estimate, but hopefully I'll be able to use it up if I have some left next December.

desert rider

Post by desert rider » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:06 pm

You'd be surprised at how much you can "get away with" in your flex spending account. Submit it all (even the comfort items) and let the plan's administrator reject it if they have time.

You can argue the medical need for those comfort items with pretty good standing. You wouldn't buy a hose cover if you didn't need the hose, right? And maybe you wouldn't comply with your treatment if you didn't have those comfort items. It can't hurt!

I submitted 100% of my cpap.com and cpapauction.com invoices.

"Being an optimist has its ups."

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:02 pm

HECK YES! I was fully reimbursed for my portion of my machine ($168.00) and plan to reimburse myself for supplies and any comfort accessories. I also got my physician to write me a letter stating that I take digestive supplements for IBS -- which I do -- so my very expensive digestive enzymes will be covered!
Sleep well and live better!