GIVING UP ON SWIFT LT MASK

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
foxhunter

GIVING UP ON SWIFT LT MASK

Post by foxhunter » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:57 am

I am now in my fifth month of cpap and although my therapy is going relatively well, I remain "mask frustrated"
I started out with a Fischer Paykel Forma full face mask as I assumed i was a mouth breather. This mask gave me the face of a prize fighter the following morning so I experimented further and went to the quattro which was a marginal improvement but still sufficient to scare the grandkids.
After being on cpap for about six weeks ,I realized that my mouth breathing was no longer a problem and I could go to nasal pillows. My mask of choice was the Swift LT with added cheek pads. This worked fine for me and I was set...so I thought!
I used the mask 8 to 9 hours a night until the pillows weakened and had to replace them. This was three months. My DME supplier sent me a new LT per the Medicare schedule. I did not need the mask and headgear, just the pillows but got them anyway. The new pillows were a disaster. Now this topic of Resmed pillows has been on this forum before on numerous occasions, including one by me. These pillows after two weeks were turning themselves inside out in my nose they were so weak.
My DME supplier insists that the Medicare replacement schedulle is a new mask every three months and to add the kicker, he reoved two of the pillows from the Resmed package prior to shipping to me.
Now I don,t give a damn whether I get them through Medicare or buy them personnaly but even at cpap.com, they are $22 each forr something that lasts two to three weeks before failing?
I loved my Swift LT but it is now replaced with a Aeiomed Headrest which has its own failings but does not require repositioning a dozen times a night.
My advice to anyone thinking about the Swift is to forget it until they get this problem fixed.
I know that someone will show me a chart showing that Medicare will replace pillows at 2 per month but I note that those charts are from a company "Billmyinsurance .com". Frankly, finding any reference to cpap replacements on an official Medicare site is impossible.
Sorry for the lengthy tome!!!

BleepingBeauty

Re: GIVING UP ON SWIFT LT MASK

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:19 am

foxhunter wrote:The new pillows were a disaster. Now this topic of Resmed pillows has been on this forum before on numerous occasions, including one by me. These pillows after two weeks were turning themselves inside out in my nose they were so weak.
Hi, foxhunter. You may have missed this neat "fix" for the Swift LT's flimsy new pillows, posted by forum member goolac: viewtopic.php?p=433248#p433248

If you love the LT, check it out. HTH
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

foxhunter

Re: GIVING UP ON SWIFT LT MASK

Post by foxhunter » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:26 am

Many thanks "BB", I will definitely give it a try.