New to cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pdean44

New to cpap

Post by pdean44 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:25 am

On march 1st I am supposed to recieve my 1st machine. I will begin my odyssey. I have been reading a lot of your postings over the last month. I have refrained from typing since I have yet anything to share. Hopefully all will go well and I can benefit from the treatment without too much trouble. We shall see.

I will say i am pretty stubborn and tend to keep trying till I make something work. Hopefully i can make this work.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

montana user

Re: New to cpap

Post by montana user » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:28 am

Welcome to the forum!! You came to the right place to ask questions, learn, and make new friends. Even though I have never met anyone on here (yet) I think of them as my friends, sometimes even family!
Good luck!!!

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:53 am

Thanks . looking forward to getting started.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:32 am

Welcome! We are all friends here and ready to help each other with any issues. Do you know what pressure you will be at or what mask you will use? How many "events" were you having during your sleep study? I had mild sleep apnea, except that whenever I was dreaming, my apneas increased to 19 per hour. I always used to say that my dreams made me tired

I have been on the hose for about 40 nights now and I can honestly say that I feel much, much better. My fatigue is gone!

Wishing you good health,

Debby S

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:57 am

Welcome, pdean!
pdean44 wrote:I will say i am pretty stubborn and tend to keep trying till I make something work. Hopefully i can make this work.
With that kind of determination (and the fact you've found this place) I'm betting you do make it work for you.
Finding a mask that suits you will be the major piece of the puzzle to get right. The mask has almost EVERYTHING to do with being able to "do cpap" comfortably. Hope your DME ("durable medical equipment" -- the store that is going to supply you with your machine/mask) has a liberal exchange policy and will let you swap mask after mask after mask during your first month or two.

Ask the DME to tell you the exact full name of the machine they plan to give you. Check it against this:

My list of machines that record "full data" (AHI and leak info) and those that don't -- updated through Jan. 2010:
viewtopic.php?p=307168#p307168

If the machine they have in mind for you records only "hours of use" and cannot record AHI and leak info, I would go to work right now on letting them know (politely) that you will not accept that machine. Don't let them tell you that simply because the machine has a card in it, or because they (the DME) will be doing a download from the machine, that means it records full data:

DME might not understand what "Full data" is.
viewtopic.php?p=344265#p344265

You've got plenty of time between now and March 1st to make sure the machine they'll be handing you is one that can give you useful data about your therapy. Good luck!!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, pdean44! We're glad you found us even before starting CPAP. There are so many helpful suggestions here for making therapy more effective and comfortable.

Everything that rested gal said is very important information to know before meeting with the DME to get your equipment! Those links are great. It helps to know about the features of the various machines (or lack thereof) before purchasing one. And a proper-fitting mask is extremely important.

You have a great attitude, and I'm sure you'll do well. Tenacity does pay off. Good therapy results are so worth it! I hope you'll let us know how you're doing, and feel free to ask any questions as they may come up.

~ DreamOn

foxhunter

Post by foxhunter » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:43 pm

pdean, again welcome.
A couple of pieces of advice to get the best out of this forum.
1: you already have answers from two of the most sincere and knowledgable members. Follow them. you will not be sorry.
2; Stay away from any discussion that smacks, however loosely of politics. It brings out the worst in people and this is a large forum.
3: Do not expect immediate dramatic results. It will take time. Keep coming back here. you have friends here that have been through the stages you will go through.
4: Understand that you may have to put a little investment into mask variations without paying through the nose. Online suppliers will be a big asset there.
5: You can learn how to monitor your therapy youself from advice freely avaiable here.
6: Do not be discouraged if you feel your sleep doc or DME supplier is non responsive to your needs. It is akin to an asmatic or diabetic who goes home with a meter and prescription to monitor himself. All the tools are here. If you cannot find them, just ask, "Where can I find"
You are in the right place. good Luck.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Good advice i have no interest in discussing politics here or any where online.
Thanks for the advice on the cpap as well. I just want to get the show on the road so i can get this working for me. 3 more days.

Geminidream

Post by Geminidream » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:24 pm

You will find this forum is a great place for good tips and other folks sharing their journeys (that is the most beneficial part, if you ask me). Sounds like you have the right attitude to start with...good luck!

Gd

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:59 pm

From what i have been reading it looks like the mask will be a big issue to overcome. I am not sure what my insurance company will cover for mask changes etc yet. I have a few questions to ask when i go to get my gear thanks to this group. I dont want to throw away hard earned cash on masks that wont work for me. It sounds like it may be unavoidable. How do you know what may or may not work for you? Is it all trial and error?

-- JOHN WOODEN --

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:10 pm

For users like who has to pay everything from their own pocket (no insurance) there is a simple strategies:

1. start by testing the simplest/lightest mask: this is the nasal pillow mask e.g. Swift
If this is comfortable we can stop here and no need to continue. This nose pillow mask enable us to wear reading glasses etc and I believe is the most comfortable of all

2. next step is trying nasal mask

3. last if you failed in step 1 and 2 is to use a full face - which is the most uncomfortable of all

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:30 am

I believe am a mouth breather so not sure what options that would leave me. I wore a full face on the triation test and woke up after a few hours because the bridge of my nose was very sore. Was also a bit sore where it sealed around my mouth. That was my first experience with the masks and it worried me as i had a real rough time of it. I will be going in the next few days for my equipment. I hope i get set up with something a lot more comfortable than what i had on that night.

-- JOHN WOODEN --

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:54 am

Those are good tips from cpapernewbie!

Try on as many masks as your DME will allow. Try them on under pressure, preferably lying down. Move around a lot to see if it leaks air. Notice how the mask feels on the pillow. A lot of us do prefer the nasal pillows masks because they seem to interfere with our sleeping the least. Some of the bulkier masks can push against the bed pillow more, which can cause more leaking. But we all find ways to adapt -- by buying special pillows, sleeping on the edge of the pillow, etc. Also notice how the mask vents. Some vent air straight out, others up, some all over the place.

Another thing I have done is to read comments about masks from other forum members to see what other people like and dislike. Also, I read the product reviews at cpap.com. That can give you a lot of information and narrow down your choices. I also think about my unique facial features. There's a mask sizing guide here: https://www.cpap.com/cpap-mask-sizing.php. You can enter your facial measurements and it'll recommend masks for your facial dimensions. Results aren't always accurate, but it can help to narrow it down.

If you have a tendency to mouth-breathe or find that you leak therapy air from your mouth, you may need a full face mask. Or you may need to use a chin strap or tape your mouth closed while using a nasal or nasal pillows mask to prevent air from escaping from the mouth.

I regularly use the ResMed Mirage Activa LT (nasal mask), which I really like. It's lightweight and seals very well, even with the straps quite loose. I also use the AEIOMed Headrest and Fisher & Paykel Opus 360 nasal pillows masks. They both work great for me. With those masks, I use a PAPCap chin strap, which keeps my mouth closed and prevents leaking. A lot of people here like the ResMed Mirage Quattro and ResMed Ultra Mirage full face masks. Most full-face masks have adjustable forehead bridges and strap tension is important too.

There are two "hybrid" masks that I know of, which have a piece that fits over the mouth plus nasal pillows. The one by InnoMed, called the Hybrid, seems well-liked. A lot of people like the Swift/Swift LT nasal pillows mask. There's a new one called the Swift FX that's getting great reviews. Also, the Respironics EasyLife nasal mask looks good to me, although I haven't tried it yet.

Masks are a very individual thing. A lot depends on your facial features, your prescribed pressure, and your preferences. It is something that you just have to try. Each mask comes in several sizes. Getting the proper size is crucial. That's why it's so important that the DME spend some time with you fitting the mask.

It is my understanding that the two major manufacturers, ResMed and Respironics, allow mask exchanges within 30 days. Hopefully, your DME will honor that. Mine does. Most insurance companies follow Medicare supply replacement guidelines.

I hope that helps you get started in your quest for the Perfect Mask!
Last edited by DreamOn on Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 am

Thanks I really appreciate the advice. Really looking forward to getting started.

-- JOHN WOODEN --

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:22 am

Welcome to the forum. Everyone so far has given you very good advice. Some DME's will let you try masks. I want to say, some have a 30 day return policy. So find this out when you talk to them. Masks are a personal thing and everyone has favorites and you will find the best one that works for you. I was fortunate in that the first mask I tried works well. Good luck on your journey and keep us posted. Be sure to ask if you have questions. One more thing make sure you get a cpap machine that is able to record data not just compliance(time spent using your machine) Rested gal gave you some links to follow on this.

rosie