Should I continue to use CPAP while I have a cold?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Astral4

Should I continue to use CPAP while I have a cold?

Post by Astral4 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:58 pm

Just bought my CPAP Machine last week. Got a head/chest cold and not sure whether I should use it
when I have this.

Hawthorne

Re: Should I continue to use CPAP while I have a cold?

Post by Hawthorne » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:10 pm

Use your cpap machine when you have a cold if you possibly can. Raising the humidity a little will help with some congestion. A neti pot rinse or Saline Spray about a hour before bedtime will also help with congestion.

You may need to elevate the head of your bed just a few inches.

Some people find that a full face mask helps with congestion since you can breathe through your mouth as well with a full face mask.

If you absolutely cannot sleep with the machine, sleeping in a recliner will help.

I have used cpap for 7+ years and have had a few colds in that time! I have NEVER not used my cpap and, in addition, found that my congestion cleared with the cpap and a slightly higher humidity setting while I got through the cold.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Astral4 wrote:Just bought my CPAP Machine last week. Got a head/chest cold and not sure whether I should use it
when I have this.
You really should try to use your CPAP......I'm still recovering from H1N1 and used a full face mask throughout ....I have consistency had O2 desats even with APAP while sick........If you look at the flu postings, you can see a couple of places where I posted the pulse ox results. I can't use a nasal mask when sick, but found the FF mask easy even when I was coughing terrible...lost seal some with coughing but that was all!!! OSA compromises breathing, respiratory illness add another level of compromise!!!!

elg5cats

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:08 pm

I was in the same place you are when I got my machine back in May - cold 3 days after I got it. I turned up the humidity, took some decongestants and used a ful face mask. It was the easiest cold I have ever slept through - that extra humidity made all the difference plus all the oxygen I was getting!

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Astral4

Post by Astral4 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:25 am

Thanks to all who responded to this post. I slept using my machine last night. My sleep was
indeed better with it, than without it.

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:55 am

Welcome brother * i would think especially when you have congestion. that is why we are on cpap, to help keep airways open. seems this time of year when leaves are dieing i struggle with mold & mildew allergies and need to control the rhinitis to keep from escalating into something more serious. good luck and persevere . tim

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏