CPAP Hair Solutions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MauraAnderson

CPAP Hair Solutions?

Post by MauraAnderson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:41 pm

I have fairly short hair for a woman but it's also very fine and seems to love to get caught under my masks straps during the night. In the morning I look like I'd been though a hurricane and not combed my hair since. I've also been woken up a few times by mask straps pulling on my hair.

Anyone found a solution short of shaving my head? I don't think the Sinead look would be good on me and it would be really cold this time of year.

- Maura

rubymom

Re: CPAP Hair Solutions?

Post by rubymom » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:58 pm

Shower in the morning?

Actually, my hair is a bit longer (shoulder-length) and I like what the headgear does to mine when I wake up. But if I didn't I'd be wetting it down in the shower every morning (kinda like my 11-year-old does cause his is sticking up all over)!

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:52 pm

MauraAnderson wrote:I have fairly short hair for a woman but it's also very fine and seems to love to get caught under my masks straps during the night. In the morning I look like I'd been though a hurricane and not combed my hair since. I've also been woken up a few times by mask straps pulling on my hair.

Anyone found a solution short of shaving my head? I don't think the Sinead look would be good on me and it would be really cold this time of year.

- Maura
Maura, you might consider trying the PapCap from Pur-Sleep...(they have a website). Carbonman got me started on it...and it does help with hair issues. Its main usage, however, is for the chinstrap.

T.

"Knowledge is power."

vipertec

Post by vipertec » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:40 pm

I have fine hair also and it's thin on top so the head gear tends to slip around sometimes ,one night I decided to try one of my skull "caps" it's like a bandana but not as much material and not as big a knot ,It works great the straps stay put all night and they don't pull on your hair.

cv66er

Post by cv66er » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:02 pm

vipertec wrote:I have fine hair also and it's thin on top so the head gear tends to slip around sometimes ,one night I decided to try one of my skull "caps" it's like a bandana but not as much material and not as big a knot ,It works great the straps stay put all night and they don't pull on your hair.
I've considered sewing the remains of my ResMed Mirage Swift to a ball cap to make it easier to put on and more comfortable.

Daffney_Gillfin

Post by Daffney_Gillfin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:43 pm

I use a buff, and I love it. http://www.buffwear.com/ A bit expensive, but seems to holding up well to nightly wear. I worried about it being too hot, but it's not at all.

Standard disclaimer applies -- have no financial interest in Buffwear, just a happy consumer.
--
DG
Silverlining output screenshots http://www.flickr.com/photos/daffneygillfin/
"Pain breeds compliance" -- Rudy Reyes
Pressure set at 11(min) - 15(max) Titrated 11

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:56 pm

I wear what's left of my super fine, very short hair spiky, so I just run my fingers thru it to sorta fluff it up a bit after I take off the mask. Occasionally, it gets matted strangely but I wash it every morning (and evening if I'm going out) so it's not too big a deal...scary in the mirror sometimes I must admit.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

MauraAnderson

Post by MauraAnderson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:43 pm

Hmm - I'll check out the couple of options. The look is weird but I could live with it if it's not combined with being woken up with my hair being tugged as well. I have no tolerance for the pain of my hair being tugged.

I actually have to be careful not to wash my hair every day as it causes my scalp to flake and peel badly. I have rosacea and a form of psoriasis. Every other day is about all my skinI can stand.

thank you!

- Maura

Patzee
Location: Left my heart in Colorado; the rest of me is in the Southwest.

Post by Patzee » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi Maura, an excerpt from a previous post I made on this topic that might interest you...

EVERY morning since starting cpap in '05, I'd wake up with my hair looking like I'd been plugged into an electric outlet all night long, not to mention the pulling and maybe thinning worry; finally got sick of it, have been here n' there an everywhere on the net to find something to help (some suggested a buff and that seemed interesting n' possible). Thought I'd try for a little more feminine look for my poor husband's sake - I'd buy that mask trimmed in lace too!! For you guys, the buff might just fit the bill - and they've got all kinds of colors/patterns/fabrications, etc.

I zeroed in on Headcovers.com however, (great photos of each product/nice style selection/and some for men/and colors etc.) - got their 3-seam cotton sleep cap one ea.in pink & lavender. This company is aimed at attractive headwear to help cope with hair loss, but their covers are certainly suitable for anyone. For what is worth......

Best to all, Patzee

CPAP user since May 2005.
Titrated pressure = 9. Current pressure = 13.4

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!" FDR