Fell Asleep Without CPAP & Saw A Huge Difference

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dog_tired1

Fell Asleep Without CPAP & Saw A Huge Difference

Post by dog_tired1 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:10 pm

I have been using cpap for about a month and so far I fully accept it and have been cooperating well. I used to walk around in a fog, feel exhausted and get bad headaches and pains in my sinus area. While, I am still generally tired and don't feel a 100% better, I have a feeling years of sleep deficits will heal over time.

I have been 100% compliant and never go to sleep without CPAP, except for this one time. I was watching a really long movie with my kids and conked out. I ended up napping for 2 hours. When I woke up, I had a splitting headache, aches and pains in my eye sockets, temples and nose. I also felt like I was in a fog.

I have a mild case of apnea. Could this wonderful machine really be working?! I couldn't believe how lousy I felt by forgetting to use it.

My question is, have any of you fallen asleep without it by accident and see a big difference?

~Dee

Jaylee

Re: Fell Asleep Without CPAP & Saw A Huge Difference

Post by Jaylee » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:16 pm

Yes, I have a few times. Ironically enough, two of those times were while watching movies with my students. And I always feel terrible afterward too.

brazospearl

Post by brazospearl » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:21 pm

dog_tired, honey, bless your heart! Doesn't it make you wonder how you managed before CPAP?

echo

Post by echo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:24 pm

Yes definitely! Happened to me a few times too (especially in the beginning due to taking off my mask unconsciously), felt like crud the next day. I wondered how in the world I was even able to function without cpap like that for so long! It's an amazing little contraption isn't it!?

You're right, it will take some time to heal all the damage from a lifetime of apnea-ridden sleep, and stay optimistic because you WILL get better!
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:20 pm

Oh yeah! I think before cpap the misery had gradually increased to ever present and it's the contrast that makes it so obvious after having slept well. By the way, I LOVE your doggie avatar.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:37 pm

Oh Yeah!

I had terrible gastroesophageal reflux before CPAP, and if I make the mistake of falling asleep without it I wake choking on my own gastric juices and feel horrible.

I never go to bed without it, but sometimes fall asleep sitting upright in a chair watching t.v.--nowadays I mostly watch t.v. in bed with my cpap on if I'm feeling the least bit tired.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:04 pm

I think it was my third night and my nose was a bit raw from the nasal pillow mask and so I thought I would give CPAP a break.

The next morning I felt like I had been run over by a train. I have been 100% compliant ever since.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:47 pm

Hehehehe I think Dreamstalker summed it up pretty well.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:41 pm

For the last three months, I have had my machine on all night, every night. The few times I dozed off without it, even for just a few minutes, I woke up feeling totally like crap; so basically, my equipment is 'anti-crap CPAP' tee, hee. Resistance was futile--I have been assimilated.

dog_tired1

Post by dog_tired1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi everyone,
I am so sorry I haven't replied back sooner. I am busy, because the kids are are out of school for summer vacation. Wow, I see a pretty interesting pattern here. This means cpap is really doing something positive for a lot of us. I felt so weird when I woke up after I didn't use it and was really feeling like crap. I actually look forward to using my cpap, which is the opposite of what I thought when I found out I had to use it. When I was first fitted for my mask and machine, I was thinking there is no way I am going to like this.

My doctor said I have mild sleep apnea, but could the mild apnea really have been making my brain feel like it was fried when I woke up from my sleep? The headaches, foggy in the head feeling and lousy general well being were horrible before cpap. I am not going to lie, but still feel generally tired and feel like I could use a nap or two during the day, but cpap really makes me feel much more alive when I am awake. I have been using cpap for about a month now and am hoping things will get even better.

When I put the mask on, I feel so good! It makes me feel like I am being infused with oxygen and general well being. It is comforting. I can actually say I wish I could wear my mask even when awake, lol!

~Dee

SheZAAM!

Post by SheZAAM! » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Not really. I've taken naps, although a LOT fewer than before, without it and woke up feeling decent. My hubby does say that when I nap w/out Cpap, I snore like a lumberjack. I'm only napping for 20-30 minutes.

What I do notice is that if something happens and I don't get much sleep, I don't feel too bad. Pre-Cpap, if I got less than 7 hours of sleep, I felt more terrible than normal and needed a 2 hour nap. I've been 100% compliant since my initial 2 week adjustment perioud...minus the naps.