The beeping keeps waking me up....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NEW YORKER

The beeping keeps waking me up....

Post by NEW YORKER » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:16 am

Last night I was woken up by beeps from my cpap machine. Is it normal for it to beep while I sleep? I looked at the machine and looked through the options and one said mask alert. Does that make it beep? I have been waking up with lower back pains and am starting to wonder if I toss and turn due to this beep? At one point last night I statred to think someone was turning it on and off. My sainity is at stake, need some input, got some?

Pugsy

Re: The beeping keeps waking me up....

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:52 am

Yes, mask alert will give a beep if the leak is large and for so long (I forget the length of time).
Machine will beep when powering off and on (i.e. power outage that is very brief).

I have only heard the mask alert once. It isn't loud enough to wake me I guess. I have had brief power outage twice and did hear the beep when it came back on. I had just woke up thinking "oh, machine is off, no air".

The mask alert beep can be turned off. Don't think the power on/off beep can be turned off but then I never looked either. These beeps are bare audible for me but then I use a fan on me all the time.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

NEW YORKER

Post by NEW YORKER » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:16 am

Thank you so much pugsy! For a minute there I had thought I was losing my mind. I must've stopped breathing or had a leak issue. I really need to look into getting a card reader. My cpap has a card in it but the machine only tells you how much I use it. Again thanks....

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:20 am

NEW YORKER wrote:Thank you so much pugsy! For a minute there I had thought I was losing my mind. I must've stopped breathing or had a leak issue. I really need to look into getting a card reader. My cpap has a card in it but the machine only tells you how much I use it. Again thanks....
Which machine (and humidifier) do you ACTUALLY have? The machine (picture) in your profile has not been sold by DMEs and Internet suppliers for at least a couple of years. Does your machine look like the one in your posts? That machine (the "Plus" model) is not data-capable (as you seem to be aware of)......even though it may have a card in it......and would not give you any leak data.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Autopapdude

Post by Autopapdude » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Beeps generally indicate the alarm for mask leak, if they are set to be active. Adjust the mask to minimize leaking, and then it should go away. If it bothers you, perhaps an iPod with music might serve to distract and help you sleep. I've used the iPod to relax me when I have had sleep issues with machine noise over the years.

JimIllinois

Post by JimIllinois » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:14 pm

Regarding your back pain, some people have mentioned that they sleep so much longer in a single position now that it causes issues.

In my case, I'd be rolling over every hour or two in the past, but now I often sleep 5 hours on one side. The muscles in my lower back don't like staying in a stretched/sagging position (on the lower side) for that long.

NEW YORKER

Post by NEW YORKER » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:14 pm

I have to say that the pic of my cpap was'nt the right one and neither was the humidifier. I have since corrected it. I also learn thet on my cpap machine has the option for "mask alert" and "auto shut off" so explains the beeping and the nachine being off when I wake. And as far as my lower back, I think it may be from tosssing and turning with the issues I am having. Well I shut off the "mask alert" and "auto shut off" so I will see what happens tonight. Wish me luck! And I thank all of you guys for your imput. And Wulfman. is it true that my machine wont be able to be read by a card reader? I saw on cpap.com that it has one? Maybe I am looking at the wrong machine but the one I am looking at looks just like mine. On the machine itself it say "remstar plus m series" I hope it can cause I have no sleep doctor and I use Apria and they are just as bad as Aj Care. I would love to take control of my therapy cause I know there aint no doctors here in NY that will give you the time a day, even when you have an appt. I have been on cpap since 2002 and I am on my second machine. I would like to know if I am getting my apnias under control. Right now I am going on how I feel and why I am being woken up. Well let's see how things go.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:31 pm

The Respironics Remstar M series "Plus" cpap machine may have a smart card in place but the only information that it will offer is the compliance data for hours of use. That is it. Nothing else.

If you want to be able to monitor AHI, leaks, etc then you need at least the Remstar M Series Pro cpap machine and the accompanying software along with the card reader to transfer data from the smart card to your computer.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:23 pm

NEW YORKER wrote:I have to say that the pic of my cpap was'nt the right one and neither was the humidifier. I have since corrected it. I also learn thet on my cpap machine has the option for "mask alert" and "auto shut off" so explains the beeping and the nachine being off when I wake. And as far as my lower back, I think it may be from tosssing and turning with the issues I am having. Well I shut off the "mask alert" and "auto shut off" so I will see what happens tonight. Wish me luck! And I thank all of you guys for your imput. And Wulfman. is it true that my machine wont be able to be read by a card reader? I saw on cpap.com that it has one? Maybe I am looking at the wrong machine but the one I am looking at looks just like mine. On the machine itself it say "remstar plus m series" I hope it can cause I have no sleep doctor and I use Apria and they are just as bad as Aj Care. I would love to take control of my therapy cause I know there aint no doctors here in NY that will give you the time a day, even when you have an appt. I have been on cpap since 2002 and I am on my second machine. I would like to know if I am getting my apnias under control. Right now I am going on how I feel and why I am being woken up. Well let's see how things go.
Pugsy answered those questions.
The data on the card can be downloaded, but all that's going to be on there is the hours used.
Doesn't hurt to have a backup machine. I'd suggest getting an M Series Pro for your main machine and keep the Plus for a backup or travel machine.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Annieejb

Re: How do I stop the beeping?

Post by Annieejb » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:06 pm

How do I stop the beeping of my Respironics BiPAP Auto M series? It is driving me nuts. I have unplugged and replugged the machine. It beeps 24/7.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Annieejb wrote:How do I stop the beeping of my Respironics BiPAP Auto M series? It is driving me nuts. I have unplugged and replugged the machine. It beeps 24/7.
Have you tried removing the smart card?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:26 pm

I had two different S9's, and I thought I was going bonkers, as I have never, ever heard either machine beep in the night.
Of course I take out my hearing aid, and sleep on my "good" ear.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:29 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I had two different S9's, and I thought I was going bonkers, as I have never, ever heard either machine beep in the night.
Of course I take out my hearing aid, and sleep on my "good" ear.
fun fact, *all* the s9 machines have a beeper on the board, but only a few of them have programming to use the beeper...

and, if they want lots of noise, they don't use it, they add an alarm module between the flow generator and the humidifier. (the vpap st-a, vpap copd, vpap tx, probably the lumis tx)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.