Any one deteriorating that fast? 12 to 18 in 2 years?!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
williamco

Any one deteriorating that fast? 12 to 18 in 2 years?!

Post by williamco » Wed May 11, 2011 4:17 pm

My pressure has moved from 12 till 18 in a matter of 2 years. did any one experience this speed of deterioration before?
any pressure set lasts for 6 months then I start to get tired again and AHI numbers start to creep up
by increasing the pressure, I get alert again and AHI gets down to less than 1
6 months later, I start to get tired again and AHI creaps up to 4 so I repeat the cycle again

Any one experienced that?
Thanks

jnk

Re: Any one deteriorating that fast? 12 to 18 in 2 years?!

Post by jnk » Wed May 11, 2011 5:32 pm

I wouldn't consider that so much a 'deterioration,' as long as PAP treats you. And it should continue to do so if it has and is. The laws of physics and anatomy should keep you from needing 40 cm one day, so it isn't like you are on a timeline to infinite pressure, or anything.

However, that sort of change may be worth having an ENT examine you just to make sure there isn't something unusual at play in the upper airway, if you are concerned about it. Occasionally there is something anatomical that might be going on other than the usual. A mostly harmless growth, for example.

Maybe you've already been examined by a doc that scopes patients, or you already know the reason for the increase. I don't know. But if not, it could be that something as relatively simple (depending on the experience of the doc) as turbinate surgery, or something else, would give you the possiblity of pressure relief to make your therapy more comfortable for you.

The main thing, in my opinion, is to be grateful that PAP is solving the problem and that you have the know-how to keep your therapy effective. That is an amazingly wonderful thing, when you think about it, right?

Vader

Post by Vader » Wed May 11, 2011 5:48 pm

What jnk said, sounds like good advice, but I'm curious, are you sleeping on your back more so now, than initially?
The reason I ask is because sleeping on your back would require a bit more pressure.....

Vader

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed May 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Have you gained weight?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Wed May 11, 2011 6:02 pm

How long since your last psg / titration? Maybe you need a different mode of therapy.

jnk

Post by jnk » Wed May 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Bright Choice wrote:How long since your last psg / titration? Maybe you need a different mode of therapy.
Yep. Anyone uncomfortable with 18 cm might want to start asking questions about the possibility of bilevel, I would think.

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Wed May 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Just wondering could it be your machine that has gradually been deteriorating over the 2 years and not putting out as much pressure?

Sireneh

Post by Sireneh » Wed May 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Have you switched masks around these changes that might help to explain it?

lars4life

Post by lars4life » Wed May 11, 2011 9:56 pm

Last edited by lars4life on Mon May 23, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

williamco

Post by williamco » Thu May 12, 2011 12:24 am

Thanks all for your ideas.

jnk: Yes, I have been examined by ENT and have done rhinoscope that went all the way down and was nothing out of the ordinary
I am not really struggling with the pressure while breathing, I am struglling with the pressure because of leaks and tightening up the straps. Will Bi PAP affect the leak if same pressure used??

Vader: my sleeping habits are the same-I sleep both on sides and on back

SleepingUgly : No I haven't gained any weight

Gerald? : It can not be my machine because as I raise the pressure I struggle with the leak and tighten the straps more. it is obvious that the machine is really delivering that higher pressure

Sireneh : I changed masks to see if there would be any difference but there was no difference. I still needed higher pressure

Bright Choice : another mode of therapy like what, Bi PAP?

Thanks all

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu May 12, 2011 1:17 am

Hi... what I think is that you very well could be mouth breathing while asleep (something you have no control over) and losing the Cpap air that way, which basically means you're close to untreated. The standard reaction to that is to raise your pressure, thinking it's needed, but in fact it makes things worse, and also explains your need to tighten straps. You need to try a full face mask instead, like the Quattro, at your scripted pressure (or a bit higher if you like, but not 18) and then see how it goes....you may be surprised!

Deano65

Post by Deano65 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:57 am

2007 was at 11.5 on str8 CPAP, Getting a new BIPAP machine soon, 18 lower limit / 24 high limit.. Maybe in a couple of more yrs I can hit 30.. I'm not heavy, actually I lost 10 lbs since 2007... So I think I got ya beat