Poll: was your apnea progressive even after CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

was your apnea progressive after CPAP?

My apnea stayed the same once I started CPAP
67%
My apnea got worse and continued to progress
33%

Total votes: 9

williamco

Poll: was your apnea progressive even after CPAP?

Post by williamco » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:33 pm

I am just curious as whether the apnea gets fixed for good by cpap once you start treatment, or your apnea still continued to get progressive, started to feel tired again, required more pressure, other sleep studies as time passes.

Would you please let us know
Thanks

BlackSpinner

Re: Poll: was your apnea progressive even after CPAP?

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:59 pm

williamco wrote:I am just curious as whether the apnea gets fixed for good by cpap once you start treatment, or your apnea still continued to get progressive, started to feel tired again, required more pressure, other sleep studies as time passes.

Would you please let us know
Thanks
It is called ageing. It happens to most people.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:48 pm

I am confused by your poll. There is no selection I can make that shows that my apnea got better (not cured but well managed) once I started cpap 8+ years ago.

My data shows that I am doing very well. My blood pressure is great. My oxygen levels during sleep are above 95. I feel better. I had another sleep study 3 years ago and my pressure is about the same although I have an auto machine now and run it in auto mode narrow range.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

harry33

Post by harry33 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:30 pm

my pressure has been increased several times since I was diagnosed back in 1995, so I guess apnea gets worse as we age
my pressure was once reduced due to weight loss, also pressure is usually increased due to weight gain, we get fat on the inside too
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

williamco

Post by williamco » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I am confused by your poll. There is no selection I can make that shows that my apnea got better

Hawthorne :
apnea rarely get better. you mean apnea is under control by treatment with the same setting/pressure from day 1 and that is the first choice

Marvinvwinkle

Post by Marvinvwinkle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:30 pm

williamco wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:I am confused by your poll. There is no selection I can make that shows that my apnea got better

Hawthorne :
apnea rarely get better. you mean apnea is under control by treatment with the same setting/pressure from day 1 and that is the first choice
In 1977 my pressure was set at 14 and as of Dec of 2010 it was reset to 9 and my events have gone down. So I don't agree with that statement. I hope I'm right and you are wrong, although I know I will never be cured(if there is such a thing).

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:00 pm

I ddin't interpet your first choice that way. I assumed it meant that my sleep apnea stayed the same even though I went on cpap therapy. Yes, apnea is not cured just treated if a person choses to do that. I did and, while I still have sleep apnea, I am getting good therapy- from the time I started on cpap therapy and therefore am doing well - not cured of course. By "got better" I meant that my apnea is not giving me problems anymore. I should have worded that differently but I misunderstood what you meant in choice 1.

I have been quite stable ( OSA controlled by therapy). I know that it may not remain stable but so far so good as long as I continue with cpap and monitoring my data.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:00 am

Your apnea is only controlled if you get your treatment correct. mine has been the same for 6 years, even after gaining 50 lbs. Jim still under AHI 2.0
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire