CPAP Side Effect Numbness & Burning Sensation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Steveg99

CPAP Side Effect Numbness & Burning Sensation

Post by Steveg99 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:54 am

I've been using my CPAP device for a week now. Every night I've woken up to find my left experiencing what they call paresthesia--the sensation of numbness and burning. I just thought my lesg was falling asleep, taking it as a good sign that the CPAP machine was allowing me to finally zonk out fully.

Last night, I started using a chin strap to keep my mouth shut during sleeep, and found all four limbs experiencing the same sensation. I was lying flat on my back too.

I've been doing Googling and haven't found anything covering this particular side effect. Anyone heard of it? Obviously, I'll get with my doctor on it, but It's Saturday morning right now and I'm curious.

Julie

Re: CPAP Side Effect Numbness & Burning Sensation

Post by Julie » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:23 am

Hi, well one thing you need to know is that being on your back is the one position most likely to provoke the most apneas, and we try hard to sleep on our sides, to the extent of sewing things like baseballs into the back of our PJ's, if necessary, to make sure we stay that way - not that being on your back is responsible for your paresthesias. Those might be happening because you're tensed up wearing the unfamiliar mask and are holding your head (or neck) in such a way as to cause some numbness and tingling, but without knowing more about e.g. your activity prior to sleep, it's hard to be sure what else is going on. I wonder how tight you're wearing the mask - if there's a way the straps at the back of your neck could be pressing on nerves there (the mask shouldn't be overly tight as it can, in fact, cause tiny leaks around the edges). It shouldn't be "uncomfortable", just unfamiliar and slightly annoying ! Are you on any medication at all?

Steveg99

Post by Steveg99 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:53 pm

No, I'm not currently on any medication. I was thinking this might be a common side effect, which is why I posted. I thought since the sensation ramped up last night when I started using the chin strap, it might have to do with needing to get air through my mouth instead of breathing entirely through my nose.

harry33

Post by harry33 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:39 pm

I havent heard of this from CPAP use, try lying comfortably in bed in any position, especially dont lie stiffly "to attention" on your back in bed, also have frequent stretches when falling asleep
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:16 pm

The first few nights I had stiffness, soreness and some tingling. Mostly because for the first time in many years I slept unmoving throughout the whole night instead of tossing and turning and getting up to pee 3 times or more.

I got a mattress pad and a better pillow that supports my neck and it went away.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

elloggs@hotmail.co

Post by elloggs@hotmail.co » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:06 am

I recently replaced my old cpap mask for the 'latest, best yet, super, top of the line" mask. After a couple of week the left side of my face went numb - well sort of like it feels when you've been to the dentist and the shot is wearing off. I went back to my poor delapidated old mask thinking that the pads of the new one had pressed on a facial nerve next to my nose temporarily causing the problem. I checked in the bathroom mirror - still smiling so it wasn't a stroke. Next I checked with the dentist - it wasn't my teeth. I checked with my doctor - no Bell's Palsy. No drooping anything (except from old age). I thought that after a couple of weeks things would start to rectify themselves - not so. At least I don't feel alone with this dilema. Let me know if anyone has the solution. Thanks in advance,
Jean D.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:39 am

No such problems here--just dry mouth from yap leakage.

adksleepygal

Post by adksleepygal » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:59 am

[quote="Steveg99"]I've been using my CPAP device for a week now. Every night I've woken up to find my left experiencing what they call paresthesia--the sensation of numbness and burning. I just thought my lesg was falling asleep, taking it as a good sign that the CPAP machine was allowing me to finally zonk out fully.

Just wondering how you are doing with your numbness and burning. This is something that could be indicative of other things. Your post caught my eye as I too have nerve problems - permanent in my case unfortunately. Five years ago my fingers, then hands, started going numb both sides equally and exactly the same over a week's time. Then the following week my feet started doing it the same way. I ran to the Dr and they were ridiculous - working me up for a brain tumor - spinal tumor, MS, .....then expensive scans and nerve conduction studies, etc.... I was having severe burning within weeks and they had no answers for 3 months until they finally hit on the bright idea of B-12. That was it - I had none! Antibody study showed I could not absorb it anymore - pernicious anemia - its fatal left untreated they told me - great - no wonder I felt like I was growing so weak I might die. I ended up in PT to get leg strength again as walking had become so difficult. After loading doses of B-12 I now self administer an injection of B-12 every 3 weeks and live on neurontin to shut the permanent nerve damage/burning off. I tell everyone I know to have their B-12 level checked - mine was not caught in time but if so it could have been reversed.
Something so simple can cause so many problems and now I look back and realize I was also suffering from OSA at the same time. No wonder I was so exhausted!
Hope things are turning for the better with you....

Scott123456789

Post by Scott123456789 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:25 pm

My name is Scott, I am like Jean, I started having numbness in the left side of my face over a year ago, I went to doctors and they found herniated disck. I then went to a neurologist, had the disk repaired. 2 months later, the numbness in my face is still there. All Doctors tells me there is nothing wrong. The neuro-surgeon now tells me that he thinks my headgear is too tight pinching and/or compressing nerves at the base of my skull that go to the facial area. I am trying to find a better mask/headgear setup. I have a Mirage Quattro, does anyone reccommend a better full face mask? Thanks, Scott

Judy0666

Post by Judy0666 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:22 am

I have been using CPAP for about 6 months. I woke up this morning with numbness on the left side of my face. Again, it feels like after you have been to the dentist and the numbing is wearing off. I use a full face mask and primarily breathe out of my mouth.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:37 am

Hi -

It would really help to be able to advise if we had something to go on... at least what kind of mask you are using, a full face one that allows you to breathe with your mouth open and not lose therapy air that way, or if only a nasal one, and you know you mouth breathe, why not a full face one? The numbness could be a temporary effect of the mask pressing on a facial nerve overnight, or it could mean something entirely different's going on (possibly serious, but unlikely if the numbness has worn off), the sensation brought on by the mask may have nothing to do with apnea otherwise.

But with no other info, it's hard to say... if you fill in your equipment's full names and model #'s under the Profile tab after clicking on User Ctl. Panel under the main logo here, it'll allow us to see what you have each time you post - look at what's under my note - it comes on automatically when I post.

Mark707

Post by Mark707 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:35 pm

I have a Mirage Quattro and am having the same issue with tongue and lip numbness in the AM. Severity varies day-to-day. It seems to have started when I got the new mask.

johnbairdiam@gmail.com

Post by johnbairdiam@gmail.com » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:28 am

I had severe irritation from a new mask with C-pap nasal pillows. In researching I found that this is common and is likely caused by skin oils interacting with chemicals present in the material the masks are made of and left over from the manufacturing process. I read where people are doing all sorts of things to fight the issue, including soaking the mask for a week in soapy warm water, and other similar strategies.

I suggest you try what I did. It worked the first night and the three weeks since. I came up with the idea that if the irritation is a result of skin oils, then the proper approach is to DRY UP the skin and put a barrier between the skin and pillows that would keep the skin dry at the same time. I tried baby powder and it was instant relief. I first wash my entire face and especially the inside of my nostrils. Wait until completely dry. Then I dusted the pillows and the inside rim of my nose where the irritation was. Voila!! problem solved.

Before trying this I was ready to call the medical service and exchange the new mask for a different make of mask in hopes that the new one would be less painful. Now I really like this mask.

Good luck and I hope it works for you like it has for me

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:39 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:The first few nights I had stiffness, soreness and some tingling. Mostly because for the first time in many years I slept unmoving throughout the whole night instead of tossing and turning and getting up to pee 3 times or more. I got a mattress pad and a better pillow that supports my neck and it went away.

1+
I had a small amount of this discomfort early on, especially in my back muscles. IMO, you've gotten so used to flipping around all night because of poor sleep, that now your body/brain is trying to catch up with the fact that you're laying in one place for a several hours. I don't know the state of your overall health or if you exercise very much, but hopefully these problems will go away once you get used to sleeping more soundly. If you can't exercise because of health limitations, general body stretching is a good option.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

smarty59

Post by smarty59 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:09 am

Scott123456789 wrote:My name is Scott, I am like Jean, I started having numbness in the left side of my face over a year ago, I went to doctors and they found herniated disck. I then went to a neurologist, had the disk repaired. 2 months later, the numbness in my face is still there. All Doctors tells me there is nothing wrong. The neuro-surgeon now tells me that he thinks my headgear is too tight pinching and/or compressing nerves at the base of my skull that go to the facial area. I am trying to find a better mask/headgear setup. I have a Mirage Quattro, does anyone reccommend a better full face mask? Thanks, Scott
Scott, did your symptoms of numbness ever go away? How long did it take? My numbness symptoms in my left neck, jaw and ear began after one month of tight Quatro headgear. After several doctors, an mri shows a bulging disc at c2 which irritates the nerve exiting below, (moderate foraminal narrowing). The neurosurgeon believes the bulge alone, is insufficient to be causing the symptoms and that the new headgear must have contributed. So after six months of wearing the headgear, I have stopped wearing it for two weeks now, but the symptoms still rage from an inflamed nerve. I'm hoping the neuro. is correct and that the symptoms will disappear after a month or more. Any other relevant responses are appreciated.