AirMini - More Info (And ask your questions)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roncron

Re: AirMini - More Info (And ask your questions)

Post by roncron » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:01 am

I've also had a terrific experience with the AirMini.

I've been using the ResMed AirSense auto for 2 years and been very happy with it. But always hated traveling with CPAP - the extra carry-on, having to find distilled water when I get to the destination, etc.

I reluctantly bought an AirMini about 4 weeks ago, and only because cpap.com offered a rare 30-day return for refund.

I won't be returning it.

I used the AirMini at home for a week before traveling with it, to test it out. It worked well for me. Then I took it on an 8-day trip and it worked well - plus, it is SO MUCH NICER to travel with.

NOISE:

The AirMini isn't a quiet machine. Unfortunately, the source of the noise is the mask, which is close to your ears, not the machine. I can see how that would be a deal-breaker for some folks. The noise is an air sound, in sync with my breathing. It's not an annoying whining motor sound. For me and my wife, the volume/noise doesn't prevent us from falling asleep and doesn't wake us up, and we don't normally sleep with a fan or white noise machine. There were two nights when we did have a fan on during the night and it nicely masked the AirMini's noise (as well as outside noises from our high-density neighborhood).

HUMIDITY DISCS INSTEAD OF WATER:

I really need humidity during CPAP or my nasal passages get extremely irritated and I can't sleep more than a couple hours. So I was very skeptical about the AirMini's humidity discs. I'm happy to say they work well for me - not quite the same as an on-board humidifier with distilled water, but they are definitely sufficient. And of course, the benefits of using the discs instead of an on-board humidifier are (a) less things to carry and (b) don't have to bother finding distilled water when you get to your destination.

MASK OPTIONS:

I've been using the ResMed P10 nasal pillows mask for a few years and I like it pretty well. The P10 is one of the three mask options for the AirMini, and the experience of using the AirMini version of the P10 nasal pillows mask is virtually the same as the regular P10 mask - except the higher noise level, the humidity disc, and the proprietary hose.

PROPRIETARY PARTS:

I understand people's frustration over the AirMini not using standard tubing or masks, as well as the need to buy the proprietary humidity discs, both of which increase the patient's costs.

The humidity disc has to be near the user's face to work. But I don't understand why it can't be entirely in the mask's tubing, which would allow the main tubing to be standard (or at least, standard ResMed slimline tubing) instead of specific to the AirMini. Or maybe there could be a small enclosure that contains the disc that would sit between a standard mask and a standard tube/hose.

Maybe a future version of the AirMini will be less captive to proprietary parts. For now, this is our only option. For me, the cost of the proprietary consumables is not big enough to be prohibitive.

THE IPHONE/SMARTPHONE APP:

The app (available for iPhone and for Android phones) works well for me. It allows you to change options, and you can go into the clinical settings and get more options to try. What I don't like is that the AirSense 10 and AirMini use separate apps and keep the data separate from each other. So one app shows a usage gap when you're using the other machine. There should be one app for all ResMed machines, that keeps all your data together. The other minor hassle is that sometimes the app loses the bluetooth connection during the daytime when you're not using the machine. So at bedtime, you have to unplug the machine for a second and plug it back in to reestablish the bluetooth connection.

But these are minor issues. Mostly, I like the app very well. Also, if your phone isn't handy at bedtime (or if you wisely put your phone away before going to bed), you can just push the button on the machine to start and stop it.

THE EXPERIENCE OF TRAVELING WITH THE AIRMINI:

This is why you should buy it, or at least, try it. Traveling with the AirMini is SO MUCH BETTER than traveling with a full-size machine.

- The entire system takes up less than half the space and weighs less than half as much as a full-size machine. Even the AirMini's power brick/cord is less than half the size and weight of the AirSense's power brick/cord.

- I no longer have to carry a whole separate briefcase-sized bag for my CPAP unit. Instead, I keep the main AirMini unit in my backpack so I can remove it for TSA security if needed - it's the size of a potato and takes up hardly any space in my backpack. And I pack the hose, mask, and power cord in my suitcase (whether checked or carry on) - they take up relatively little room in the suitcase.

- I no longer have to hunt for water when I get to my destination.

- With no humidifier or water, setting up the AirMini is much quicker as is taking it down and packing it the next morning if you're moving to different hotels frequently during your trip.

Now that I've had the AirMini on a trip, I can't imagine ever traveling without it in the future. It also works well enough that I could definitely get by using it as my daily machine at home if I didn't already have the AirSense.

Some folks here have tried the AirMini and it didn't work well for them - usually because of the noise or because none of the three mask options work well for them. And the cost of the AirMini is of course a big barrier - most people's insurance doesn't cover getting a second travel-size machine, or doesn't cover a machine as expensive as the AirMini.

But if you can afford it and you find traveling with CPAP to be a hassle, then I strongly encourage you to try the AirMini (as long as you can get it with a 30-day return period).

eatsleepswim

Post by eatsleepswim » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:28 pm

Thanks for the reply, Hawthorne. I hope you can return home soon.

AirMini update after ~15nights continuous use:
    I'm getting about the same quality of sleep with the AirMini as with my full-size ResMed.
      I'm sold on it for travel. I took a 2 night trip and left the big machine (and distilled water!) at home without concern. I brought an extension cord since the cord on the AirMini seems a bit short, but did not need it.
        Neither my partner nor I are bothered by the noise. We both sleep with earplugs.
          With the regular HumidX disk I sometimes feel just slightly dry, though I also sometimes notice vapor has condensed in the tube between the nasal pillow and the the HumidX -- occasionally enough in the middle of the night that I shake it out before going back to sleep.
            I am still not sure if I will use the AirMini full time or not. I am not excited about obtaining/maintaining supplies for two machines. I am waiting for responses from my sleep doctor and my insurance provider about if they are getting the data they need for "compliance" (I guess this is for insurance for supplies since my machines are paid for) and what my insurance will cover.
              I am also in wait-and-see mode about how I will like the machine under different conditions. This is our dry season and our humidity is 54% tonight, night temps typically in mid-to-high 50s. Sometimes we have fog and 99% humidity. We both like a window or two open at night. With these varying conditions I have varying experiences with my big machine, so I sometimes change humidifier and heated tube temp settings. I'll probably try the HumidX Plus disk when I travel to a dry region at 6K' later this month.
                I wonder about these HumidX disks. ResMed says to replace them every 30 days. I wonder if performance will change as the disks get old.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:27 am

Thank you, for your good wishes! I don't think it will be long now before I go home!
                I have never left the humidity disks for more than 30 days, so don't know what it would be like.
                Buying supplies for 2 machines would probably get pricey.
                I used it in the winter- and now in Spring an Summer and have consistently good results. We have had a lot of days with high humidity this summer, so far.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Thunder Road

Post by Thunder Road » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:32 am

I have been using the AirMini everyday since last September. I also have been getting good results with it. I have put some 2500 hours on it and it is working just fine. It has a two year warranty like the Airsense 10 models so i am giving it a real solid workout. I have used the HumidX discs for 40-45 days without any noticeable change as they seem to be providing enough humidity for me (both standard and plus). The noise has never bothered me but it is louder at the venting of the mask/HumidX attachment that creates the increased sound.

eatsleepswim

Post by eatsleepswim » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:44 am

Thanks, folks, for sharing your experiences. roncron's experiences/impressions with/of AirMini are very consistent with my own. ThunderRoad's 2500 hours in 10 months? I'm jealous!

I have a lot of travel over the next 3 months, so I'm thinking I'll continue using the AirMini full time through the summer to keep things simple. I plan to swap the HumidX disk for a clean one at 30 days, to be on the safe side. I had been wondering if I'd become dissatisfied with disk performance before 30 days.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:28 am

I recently bought an Airmini with a P10 Nasal Cushion mask and a Medistrom Pilot 24 battery pack for travel use when a good sale price came up at the end of the Australian financial year.

For me the treatment efficacy is effectively no different from my Airsense 10. Overall noise is higher than for the a P10 mask on an A10, but I found it didn't really disturb my sleep, or my wife's sleep, in any way.

I found I can get about 20 hours of operation using the Medistrom Pilot 24 battery at sea level running with a 14-16cm pressure range. Even allowing for higher power usage at aircraft cruise altitude, this is more than adequate for the longest flight I can possibly make.

Getting summary data via an App on my iPad took a little getting used to, but as I now have years of detailed data stored from my larger Resmed xPAP devices and have long ago internalised what that indicates (it hasn't varied much at all), I really don't need anything much more than an AHI score, plus how I feel to understand whether I am sleeping well,

By using the Resmed supplied drawstring bag for the tubing and support hook, an old Business Class amenities pack to hold the Airmini and its mains power pack, plus the Medistrom drawstring bag for the battery pack and adapter cable, I was easily able to get all the APAP kit into my "carry on" backpack along with the laptop, iPad and Digital camera and travel documents that also go in there.... so I no longer need a separate bag for my APAP kit. The charger for the Pilot 24 goes in my checked luggage.

I've been lugging my S7/S8/S9/A10 and various heavy battery packs around on long haul flights for many years now and wishing for a better solution... the Airmini is just what I have been hoping for, and I'm very happy with it. :D

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:46 am

roncron wrote:
                Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:01 am
                But I don't understand why it can't be entirely in the mask's tubing, which would allow the main tubing to be standard (or at least, standard ResMed slimline tubing) instead of specific to the AirMini.
                The basic thing is that the Airmini humidification approach works by capturing the moisture in your exhaled breath, so using a mask that has vents will pretty much completely defeat it. It needs to be used with special frames for the P10 and N20 masks that do not have vents, so that the breath moisture is captured and recycled by the humidifier capsule.

I don't understand exactly why this works, except in the broadest sense... but it clearly does.... and its a trade off that I am more than happy to make for the overall benefit of a [*much*] smaller/lighter/lower power xPAP travel solution :!:

CPAPSteve

Post by CPAPSteve » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:20 am

I missed out on a barely use air mini yesterday and was kicking myself for not driving to thebpersona Home first thing in thenkroning to buy it fronfitire travel. Someone else poached it and well I was disappointed. That being said the size was what allures me but the more I think about it the more I realize as anew COSP user that I could not possible survive without a humidifier which doesn’t exist on the mini with the AirTouch FFM. I am sure the mini despite some of its limitations will cater to many but no humidifier is a deal breaker for me. I wil stick my AS10 for now until something a little more capable comes out.

How is the hose quality? Is it thinner than a normal reamed hose? Does it seem like it can tear or break easily?

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:41 am

The AirMini DOES have humidity- it's a very different, portable humidity system. It may not be enough for people who need a lot of humidity. It does have 2 different humidity disk (one that gives more humidity).

I find the hose to be excellent quality.

Just my experience with my AirMini--

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Stom

Post by Stom » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:54 am

Hawthorne wrote:
                Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:41 am
                The AirMini DOES have humidity-
                Not for the F20 full face mask, though, which is the mask CPAPSteve is mentioning when he says "humidifier which doesn’t exist on the mini with the AirTouch FFM". The humidity discs are only for the P10 and N20 masks.
                Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

adamrobles

Post by adamrobles » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:14 am

New member here to the Board.

I really appreciated the details in this thread and wanted to chime in with my experience.

I just received my Airmini yesterday and happily put my S9 away as a backup. Yay for not having a large machine on my nightstand!

I definitely noticed more noise from this machine coming from the humidx area on the tubing. I also noticed air blowing back into my face in certain positions.

In the end, I still slept 8 hours with a score of 98 on my first try. My settings are at a 9cmH20 as of right now. I had .6 events per hour which is what I was getting on my S9.

The cost per use is definitely going to be higher with replacement humidx cartridges every 30 days but its worth it for such a small unit. I do travel from the west coast to the east coast and HATED having to find distilled water.

Any recommendations on maintenance so that the masks/tubing lasts as long as possible? I typically take care of my mask and tubes but has anyone tried the SoClean device for cleaning?

I am happy to answer any questions if people have any.

Thanks!
                Adam

sburke91

Post by sburke91 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:17 am

I've been using my AirMini for about 10 months now, with multiple trips both domestic and international, including some international overnight flight use.

My key observations:

* From a pure packing space perspective, this thing is just incredible. I gained a good day's worth of additional packing space in my roller from switching from my prior travel CPAP (DeVilbiss unit) to the Airmini
                * The humidity unit (Airfit P10 mask) is HIGHLY sensitive to the humidity levels in the room. I found that it needed a bit of a jump start in very dry climates, by shooting a mist of saline solution directly into the Humidx Plus unit (note, this may not be recommended by the manufacturer, but it works for me)
                * The unit is just awesome for use on planes--with the intake and hose on the same end, it can be placed in a seat pocket, and it's very efficient on battery consumption. I used about a 1/4 of a third party battery (from a place starting with an L) on 5 hours of plane usage
                * The 12V power adapter is very voltage sensitive. I had a very good 12v travel battery that I used with my prior travel CPAP. I could usually get 10-12 hours usage. With the Airmini + 12V adapter, it dropped below the voltage threshold in an hour or two, causing the mini to shut down

While not inexpensive, if you travel a lot, it's a valuable investment.

remstarcpap

Post by remstarcpap » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:21 am

Quick question: I'd love a tiny machine, have a Z1 but it's only a cpap, not apap, and pretty noisy at the mask also. Is there any way to get the Airmini quiet? Can't tolerate earplugs, and my partner is a light sleeper and can't wear them either. Current CPAP is a quiet Resmed S9 with Airfit P10.

Or should I take this off the wishlist since it is noisy?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:59 am

Don't think there's any way to quiet it, but whether you leave it on your list is up to you.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:36 am

remstarcpap wrote:
                Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:21 am
                Quick question: I'd love a tiny machine, have a Z1 but it's only a cpap, not apap, and pretty noisy at the mask also. Is there any way to get the Airmini quiet? Can't tolerate earplugs, and my partner is a light sleeper and can't wear them either. Current CPAP is a quiet Resmed S9 with Airfit P10.

Or should I take this off the wishlist since it is noisy?
                Another user here designed an adapter to use any host with the Airmini. He then was able to add a QTube muffler to quiet it down. I believe you lose the Airmini humidifier though.
                He posted the adapter design on ThingiVerse so others ca either make one or buy one from a vendor there.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=172660&p=1264551

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3049870

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/human- ... be-muffler

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.