ok for dme to give me used cpap machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
woozle

ok for dme to give me used cpap machine?

Post by woozle » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:38 am

I just received my first cpap machine wednesday, and the DME told me I just needed to know how to use the ramp and humidifier warm up. Well, I was pushing buttons anyway, and saw that the machine had 280 hours on it. Is that ok that he gave me a used one, does it matter? I was just curious as would assume they are charging the insurance/me for a new one? Am not real happy with this guy as I had to almost force him to give me one that could be down loaded. He also told me I can't change the level 8 on the machine - I was curious as well as the machine may be off like 1 from the sleep study - any suggestions? thanks!

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:09 am

woozle,

The machine you have showing in your profile (below your post) indicates an S7 Elite. These machines have been replaced with the S8 series. If this is supposed to be the machine your insurance is going to pay for, I would insist on an S8 Elite. I would NOT accept a used machine and especially an older machine considering the dollar amount the DMEs bill the insurance providers for. I THINK the S7 Elite did/does have sleep data recording, but I KNOW the S8 does have those recording capabilities.
Bottom line......make them give you a NEW one.

Best wishes,

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

woozle

Post by woozle » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:16 am

Thank you! I thought the whole experience was weird. From this site, I knew more than I think he expected, and he actually changed the machine 'up' 3 times while I was there asking for additional things. I will do this today, make him work on a Saturday! Thank you so much!

Moogy

Post by Moogy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:29 pm

Yes, make them SELL you a new machine. If they were GIVING it away, a used machine might be reasonable. Even if they were RENTING it to you, used might make sense. But if they are charging your insurance full price, you should get a brand new, up to date model!

Let us know what happens!

Moogy
Moogy
started bipap therapy 3/8/2006
pre-treatment AHI 102.5;
Now on my third auto bipap machine, pressures 16-20.5

dsm

Post by dsm » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:00 pm

Wulfman wrote:woozle,

The machine you have showing in your profile (below your post) indicates an S7 Elite. These machines have been replaced with the S8 series. If this is supposed to be the machine your insurance is going to pay for, I would insist on an S8 Elite. I would NOT accept a used machine and especially an older machine considering the dollar amount the DMEs bill the insurance providers for. I THINK the S7 Elite did/does have sleep data recording, but I KNOW the S8 does have those recording capabilities.
Bottom line......make them give you a NEW one.

Best wishes,

Den
Br careful there, The S7 Elite has full download of data. It is the same mechanically as the S7 Spirit AUTO. The only diff between the S7 Elite & AUTO is a software upgrade. Also (IIRC) the S7 Lightweight doesn't provide full data.

S7 AUTO - full data
S7 Elite - full data
S7 Lightweight - compliance data

Now with the S8 there are 4 models but the Escape was an early introduction model. The Vantage AUTO & Autoscore CPAP model of s8 do provide detailed nightly data, the S8 Compact & Escape only supplies compliance data.

S8 Vantage AUTO - full data
S8 Autoscore - full data
S8 Compact - Compliance data
S8 Escape - Compliance data

NOTE, All models of Resmed show nightly final stats in the display. This data is viewable until noon of the same day.

Cheers

DSM

xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:00 pm

I see I left out the word "Elite" in the last part of that sentence in my post. What I MEANT to say is that the S8 Elite DOES have those recording capabilities.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Darth Vader Look

Post by Darth Vader Look » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:25 pm

I'm with the others on this. Your DME is supposed to give you a new machine not a used one. Go back and demand a new machine and if you want sleep data then request one that will provide that data. It is truly amazing what the evil DME tries to get away with and in a lot of cases does .

yellowcason

Post by yellowcason » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:50 am

i started out on a used on because of cost...it works just fine...now i would never use an old used mask...but there is nothing wrong with a used machine....its like buying a car with a few miles on it....that is just my opinion

roztom

Post by roztom » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:01 pm

MY insurance rents my APAP. It was used had some hours on it, maybe 100. Not the end of the world. Is new better - maybe but it works fine.

When you consider the air we breathe is "used" - how many of us reguarly breatrhe "fresh" air - I guess a used APAP is not signifgently worse.

Just my 1 cent.

Tom

"Nothing To It, But To Do It"

Un-treated REM AHI: 71.7
Almost All Hypopneas
OXY Desat: 83.9%

Trying To Get It Right

Depends

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:02 pm

I also have a used machine (I bought it myself while I fight with the Insurance for an APAP). It works fine.

I agree that a used machine is ok BUT NOT IF the DME is charging you insurance for a new one.

If your insurance is paying for new you should get new

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks for the information! Also reading on a different subject line - there was note that people got all three sizes small/med/large for the nasal pillow - the doc ordered me a small but the guy told me I should use a medium, and he took the small and large and said I don't need them. I would have liked to try the small - so thank you again for all the info, as it appears the guy assumed I was not too informative on this stuff - I will be tomorrow as I assertively go in there and request what I need to get a good night sleep!

woozle

Post by woozle » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:31 pm

that was me, woozle up above as guest, not sure why it didn't sign in - also about the used machine it says is it 764 days old (and counting) last night was my 4th night, and at around 6 am it just shut off on it's own -was weird, thought the water ran out of the humidifier but it wasn't = anyway, good reason to request an updated one :}

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon May 01, 2006 12:24 am

Woozle, when you go back to the DME about the machine issue, do make them give you the other two nasal pillows sizes for your Swift. As others have said, ResMed includes all three sizes with every Swift. There was no reason for the DME to remove items that are included in the purchase of that mask. No reason...other than stashing them away for....whatever reason.

Some people find that on some nights a different size of nasal pillows works better than the size they usually use. It's good to be able to switch sizes if necessary to get comfortable.

Post by Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 6:48 am

DMEs aren't used to people like us .. mine tried to sell me a used RemStar. By the time I was done with him, he had brought me a brand new one with the Clinicians manual and box (to prove it was new).
Do not let it slide

woozle

Post by woozle » Mon May 01, 2006 11:41 pm

Well, they are ordering me a new s8 elite! Thanks for all the info, really. I went in and first asked for the sm and lg for the mask noting I knew the insurance was paying for them all as a set. So they ran back and got me those. Then I asked for a new machine as the one I had was a used one, wanted to start out on a new one and hopefully have for a long time, etc. etc. First the guy said he didn't know it was used, but sometimes they pull them from the back and just have people practice on them - then I said well it shows that there is over 300 hours on it, that's a lot of 'practice' then he said well, he wasn't sure if it was refurbished or not, or where it came from - nice - anyway, long story shortened a little - they are ordering me a new one, as of course, the one I have is discontinued anyway. I am also asking to see any bills to my insurance as the trust factor here is pretty weak- so thanks again to you all for the info so that I was empowered enough to go in today and ask for what I needed