Don't Try This

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Redneck

Don't Try This

Post by Redneck » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:45 am

Ah, Saturday morning, enough time to experiment. See if the mouth tape will remove more easily if rubbing alcohol is dabbed all over it and allowed to soak for a minute. Yup, it sure comes off easily.

Whoa, what is that on my face. Ycck, all of the adhesive was left on my face.

Glad it's Saturday morning; took about 10 minutes of rubbing with a rough alcohol-soaked washcloth to get it all off.

Well momma always warned me that the most popular last words of the men in our family were "Hey, watch this". Guess I got off easy this time.

Ric

Post by Ric » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:06 am

you are the LUCKY one. the script often reads "WHOA! WHAT'S THAT ON THE TAPE? OH! IT'S MY FACE!"

There are special "Adhesive Remover" solvents especially for removing tape adhesive, and you can get that in little packets like tear-open handi-wipes. Much more kinder and gentler for getting the adhesive off delicate places. Most pharmacies will probably know about that.
He who dies with the most masks wins.

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:00 am

Ric wrote:There are special "Adhesive Remover" solvents especially for removing tape adhesive
Holy moly, that stuff causes lung cancer and lipoid pneumonia, Ric. You should never use it anywhere near the face, much less on the lips. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it caused instant death applied that way.

For safety's sake, only apply lipstick or chapstick to the lips. Those products are absolutely safe. I'm sure they are free of petroleum by-products and contain only the purest and safest ingredients from nature.

Just had to warn you guys. Wouldn't want anybody on this web site led astray. Can't be too careful, if ya know what I mean.

Regards,
Bill (hehehe . . . chuckle, chuckle)

Ric

Post by Ric » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:06 pm

NightHawkeye wrote:
Ric wrote:There are special "Adhesive Remover" solvents especially for removing tape adhesive
Holy moly, that stuff causes lung cancer and lipoid pneumonia, Ric. You should never use it anywhere near the face, much less on the lips. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if it caused instant death applied that way.

For safety's sake, only apply lipstick or chapstick to the lips. Those products are absolutely safe.
OK, I'm breathing again. I see your point.

WHAT WAS I THINKING ????

I completely forgot about the "sudden and agonizing death" angle. That could be problematic. I can see how some people might be offended by that. (touchy touchy)

I don't mean to sound argumentative, but I DID check the ingredient list, it didn't have any "chemical-sounding" names, so I assumed it was safe. Pretty much reads like the ingredients for chicken soup, the way grandma used to make:

1,2,4-TRIMETHYLBENZENE, 1,2-DICHLOROETHANE, 1,3-BUTADIENE, AMMONIA, ANTHRACENE, BENZENE, BENZO(G,H,I)PERYLENE, CHLOROETHANE, ETHYLBENZENE, ETHYLENE, HYDROCHLORIC ACID, N-HEXANE, NAPHTHALENE, NICKEL COMPOUNDS, PHENANTHRENE, PROPYLENE, STYRENE, SULFURIC ACID, TOLUENE, TRI-NITRO-TOLUENE, XYLENE (MIXED ISOMERS), POLYCHLORONATED BIPHENYL, DICHLORODIPHENYLTRICHOLOROETHANE, 2,4-DICHLOROPHENOXYACETIC ACID, 2,3,7,8-TETRACHLORODIBENZO-PARA-DIOXIN, RICIN, PLUTONIUM, COBALT-60, STRONTIUM-90, MELATONIN, GINKGO BILOBA, CELLULOSE, SUDAN-IV, RED DYE #3).

As I said, just ordinary household ingredients. I'm not sure about RED DYE #3, that is probably controversial.

The logical extension of your observation would be that we should be using LIPSTICK as a substitute for Vaseline™ everywhere, on the nares, around the nasal pillows, around the margins where the mask meets the face, and probably a thin layer on the cheeks and forehead, just for safety. Maybe add a generous line around where the straps irritate the back of the head. And any sore spots.

GREAT IDEA! THANKS FOR WATCHING OUT FOR US!

And of course it makes an excellent adhesive-remover.

(Can you recommend a good adhesive-remover remover?)

dsm

Post by dsm » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:08 pm

LOL

Good laught to start the day

Cheers

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Gidgie

Post by Gidgie » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:42 pm

When you get all that war-paint on, send us a picture, will you?

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:26 pm

Sounds like to me your using the wrong tape?

The tape I use is made by Johnson & Johnson, it says hypoallergenic 1" wide medical tape, it's the "paper type", comes in a white plastic dispenser with a green cut thingee. It resembles the stuff I seen them use after surgery.

I've used this tape for more than 6 months at a time, it has never irritated my lips or left any adhesive behind. If the tape your using is leaving adhesive behind you have to be using that cloth stuff, man that stuff will rip your face off.

linda b

Post by linda b » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:35 pm

Ric,

I'm sooo glad it was you and not me typing that list of ingredients.! How long did it take for you to do it? And are you sure you spelled them all correctly because one little misplaced letter could mean the difference between life and death!! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Linda B.

Ric

Post by Ric » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:30 am

Gidgie wrote:When you get all that war-paint on, send us a picture, will you?
linda b wrote:I'm sooo glad it was you and not me typing that list of ingredients.!
(i cheated, i cut-and-pasted from the Petroleum Sheik's lipstick factory website.)
Last edited by Ric on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

thenapper

Post by thenapper » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:01 am

goo gone or orange oil should work for the glue on the tape.

yellowcason

Post by yellowcason » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:39 am

a little bit of olive oil or regular cooking oil work very well to.

Ellen

tape burn from adhesive

Post by Ellen » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:52 pm

My skin is VERY sensitive to all adhesives and I've tried all the hypoallergenic tapes on the market in the past first month of APAP - the one that works best for me is 3m absolutely waterproof tape - it is flesh colored and is a foam tape so doesn't "pull" once it is on. I use the 1" which is $3.52 (est) at Walmart. I actually made a hard plastic template to use that I place tape on, then pull it off the plastic and apply to mouth at night. I remove it in the am with olive oil then wash my face and immediately apply good healing salve to "tape burn" areas.

I have one of the Nose Breathe for Heavy Snorers mouthpieces on order, which is supposed to keep your tongue in the nose breathing position all night - will let everyone know how this works or doesn't work. There is a 4 week return policy so can get $ back if doesn't work.

"Tape Burned" in Wyoming
Ellen

roster

Re: tape burn from adhesive

Post by roster » Tue May 02, 2006 9:58 am

Ellen wrote:My skin is VERY sensitive to all adhesives and I've tried all the hypoallergenic tapes on the market in the past first month of APAP - the one that works best for me is 3m absolutely waterproof tape - it is flesh colored and is a foam tape so doesn't "pull" once it is on. I use the 1" which is $3.52 (est) at Walmart. I actually made a hard plastic template to use that I place tape on, then pull it off the plastic and apply to mouth at night. I remove it in the am with olive oil then wash my face and immediately apply good healing salve to "tape burn" areas.

I have one of the Nose Breathe for Heavy Snorers mouthpieces on order, which is supposed to keep your tongue in the nose breathing position all night - will let everyone know how this works or doesn't work. There is a 4 week return policy so can get $ back if doesn't work.

"Tape Burned" in Wyoming
Ellen

[/url]
Thanks Ellen,
I will check out the 3M waterproof tape. In the 3M website product catalog they only show a 1" tape and I am using 2". Do you get a good solid seal that lasts all night? What type of salve do you use on the tape burns?

I am using 3M micropore surgical paper tape, hypoallergenic. I have varied the routine but there is always some adhesive left on my face.

rooster

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

rdjw

Post by rdjw » Tue May 02, 2006 8:05 pm

Seems to me we used to remove chewing gum from kiddies' hair by kneading peanut butter into it. You could make your tape removal part of your normal healthy breakfast. Think of the time you'd save!

VERY funny thread. Thanks.

Robin

DewRider

Mouth Tape

Post by DewRider » Tue May 02, 2006 8:27 pm

When I first decided that I needed to tape my mouth closed at night, I really didn't give much thought about what kind of type to use. I simply went to the store and bought the pink tape that we women used as teenagers to tape our bangs down so they would lay flat. It is sold with hair accessories. It works great, isn't so strong that it leaves adhesive behind, never irritates my skin, but is strong enough to do the job.