Trying out my new Swift FX for the first time tonight!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jersey Girl

Trying out my new Swift FX for the first time tonight!

Post by Jersey Girl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:29 pm

Dear Friends,

I just opened the package on my new Swift FX with nasal pillows. It is my fourth mask in the search for the perfect mask for me. I was surprised at how light it feels. Like a little nothing!

Will try it tonight and report back tomorrow.

Regards to all,

Jersey Girl

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

hose head

Re: Trying out my new Swift FX for the first time tonight!

Post by hose head » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:43 pm

Yes, do report back. I am wondering if I should wait for June to get new FX or buy online. I am hoping my DME will have them in by June.

m

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:49 pm

I am interested to hear how it works for you. I was thinking of getting one. Let us know how it goes.

rosie

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi!! How exciting--I want to get one too --let us know what you think about it---Is it more comfortable than the Swift LT for her?

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

dave21

Post by dave21 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:11 am

Jersey Girl wrote:I just opened the package on my new Swift FX with nasal pillows. It is my fourth mask in the search for the perfect mask for me. I was surprised at how light it feels. Like a little nothing!
Jersey Girl, do let us know how you get on. I have been trying the Swift FX for the past couple of weeks. I could never tolerate the original Swift for more than 3 hours, it made my nose so sore and I would wake up after 3 hours and rip the mask off and go back to my Activa nasal mask.

The Swift FX for me is a lot more comfortable, when I compare it to the Swift FX sitting beside it I think why didn't ResMed design the mask this way to start with. It's a much better design and more comfortable to wear. I'm still having problems, like many just before it comes to bed time I get congested. Not sure if this is because my body is getting tired, my brain knows I'm going onto the machine or some other thing but if I'm congested I have difficulty using the mask. On nights I'm not congested the mask works really well and I love it! I just wish I could adapt to it to use the Swift FX every night!

I don't know how much the masks cost in the US or other countries, in the UK they're around £110 to purchase privately (around $170), so they're not cheap but I do find the ResMed masks last a life time. i tried masks from other companies (I won't name them unless someone asks because I might be considered as bashing other companies) but I found other company masks would fall apart after a month or two of use.

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:10 am

Hope that went well for you.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:46 am

Dear Friends,

OMG - I have finally found my PERFECT mask! I think that the air must be distributed slightly differently with the Swift FX as compared to the Swift LT for her. I had no trouble breathing in or breathing out. I have a leak rate of 0.14 this morning, but included in that was when I was adjusting the mask and pillows for the first time and trying a large nasal pillow, which wasn't my size, but wanted to try it. I am definitely a medium. It was so quiet and comfortable that when I did wake up BRIEFLY during the night, I purposely opened my mouth just to make sure it was still on! The exhale holes make the air go away from me nicely, but not straight out, sort of down at a 45 degree angle and I was NOT bothered by exhale air from the valve at all. I don't have to use my c-pap pillow with the cut outs the way I did with my nasal mask. I do like my regenesis buckwheat c-pap pillow for this, though, because I can make the left side of the edge of the pillow lower, allowing for my air to flow unobstructed from my exhale valve. The mask was so light, I was worried that it might be flimsy, but clearly that is not the case. I moved about much more easily - side to side, everywhere and was soooo comfortable.

My AHI was 3.8 - .1AI, 3.7HI. (including mask trying on and adjusting with 2 different nasal pillows)

The short hose is VERY flexible - much more so than on the SWIFT LT. It's almost like a slinky. The low profile of the mask means that I have a wonderful, unobstructed view - even more so than with the Swift LT for her - watching tv or reading with my reading glasses on is a breeze. I was so comfortable last night that it felt as if I floated off to sleep with out a mask at all.

I also get congestion before I go to sleep and use a nasal spray in the evening. I will keep my nasal masks as back up for if I am very congested. So, I can pack them away now (where I can easily find them if necessary). I have my nasal PILLOW mask now and I am very, very happy.

As to price on this mask, CPAP.com has it for $129 but my DME says that they get paid from my insurance company $78 and that is what they would charge me if I wanted one and it was not time for a new mask for me. They gave me this one as a courtesy - as I would have been due for a new mask on April 1. I can reorder a new one on June 1 free of charge. This is the fourth mask that they have given me since I started treatment 63 days ago.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:11 am

I'm glad it went well for you. I could never stomach the Swift LT and ResMed have also confirmed to me that there is a difference in how the Swift FX distributes air. I think there's a similar change in the S9 machine too. I'm not too sure how, but I'm wondering if it's more of a cyclone effect rather than a full on wall of pressure.

The first few nights I was able to work with the mask without any problem, but lately been getting more congestion which has been more uncomfortable with the Swift FX and have had to switch back to my Activa mask.

One thing I do notice with the Swift FX is that the noise is a lot more louder than my Activa nasal mask on my S9. Possibly because you hear more of an air rush closer to your face and that sometimes makes it more harder to go to sleep listening to the noise.

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:25 am

Dear Dave21,

I actually found the Swift FX to be pretty quiet. In fact, when I woke up during the night I opened my mouth to make sure it was still on! I just love it.

I too get the evening congestion - I think my body knows it's time for bed and my sinuses start doing their thing. But, I use my nasal spray, and go to bed. I am keeping my Comfort Gel Nasal Mask and my Mirage Soft Gel nasal mask for when I get more congestion than the nasal pillows will allow for.

Best regards,

Jersey Girl

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:56 am

OMG - I have finally found my PERFECT mask!
YEA!!!!! Glad to hear you like it. This will be my next mask. Thanks for the review Jersey Girl.

rosoe

mdintx

Post by mdintx » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:44 am

Jersey Girl wrote:Dear Friends,

OMG - I have finally found my PERFECT mask! I think that the air must be distributed slightly differently with the Swift FX as compared to the Swift LT for her. I had no trouble breathing in or breathing out. I have a leak rate of 0.14 this morning, but included in that was when I was adjusting the mask and pillows for the first time and trying a large nasal pillow, which wasn't my size, but wanted to try it. I am definitely a medium.

This is really good news. The Swift LT is the only mask I've tried that hasn't hurt my face. But I have always had a hard time breathing against it. So even when my numbers were low, I've never felt all that great. I feel tons better with a nasal but those always rough up the bridge of my nose. If the Swift FX is easier to breathe against, this may finally solve my problem.

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:24 am

Dear Mdintx,

Yes, it is VERY easy to breathe, both inhale and exhale. When I woke up for just a minute or so last night (my husband snores loudly), I opened my mouth on purpose, just to make sure it was still on! That's how comfy it is. Soooo easy to breahe in and exhale. I used to sometimes have problems with exhaling with my Swift LT for her. With the Swift FX, it is so much easier...it's like not wearing a mask at all!

Warmly,

Jersey Girl