noisy face mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jjryan1

noisy face mask

Post by jjryan1 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:36 pm

I have been using a new Fisher & Paykal full face mask for the last few nights. Since I have started using the mask it will periodically make a whistling noise noise through the exhaust holes built into the front of the mask. The noise is not coming from the seal around the face. If I put my finger on the exhaust holes for a few seconds, the noise stops. It will be silent for an indefinite period of time and then for no apparent reason it starts again and I go through the same process. Is this a defect in this specific mask, or is it just my mask? I have a ResMed vpap machine with an exhale setting of 15. I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks,
jjr

mdintx

Re: noisy face mask

Post by mdintx » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:48 pm

I wonder if that's from condensation inside the mask. If it is, you may want to turn down the humidifier a little.

harry33

Post by harry33 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:21 pm

check the exhaust holes for any blockage
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

cpappro

Post by cpappro » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:08 pm

Try the Resmed Quattro, it is a quieter mask.

reitzell

Post by reitzell » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Mine makes noise only when there is more then usual condensation. I've taken the steps that people outline here for rain out and I no longer have this problem.

I don't know if that is what is happening here but wanted to pass that along...

Good luck

jjryan1

Post by jjryan1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks for the comments I did turn down the humidity setting and no longer have the noise problem. I am also relatively new at Cpap and after six weeks, still struggling to get the leaks and mask discomfort resolved. I actually feel worse (more tired now) than before I started on this journey. Have used both the Quattro and now Fisher & Paykel FFM (Forma). I have the special Cpap pillow with the cut-outs, but I find it very uncomfortable when lying on my sides. I don't think the pillow is high enough. I put another pillow under the Cpap pillow, but got terrible swelling under both of my eyes. I have not been able to get more that two hours of consecutive sleep since I started on the ResMed vpap I am on. They lowered my inhale pressure from 16 to fifteen but I still have regular leaks. Have a Dr. appointment tomorrow. Hope I get some help from him.

JJryan1