tips for getting rid of red mark on nose bridge

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
montana

tips for getting rid of red mark on nose bridge

Post by montana » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:44 am

I use a full face mask. When I wake up I have a small red mark..not huge.
Here are a couple things I do:
I use the lanolin cream at night on my nose and cheeks.
When I get up I rinse with warm then cold water.
On way in to work I gently "massage" a little on the area on my nose with my finger ...this seems to help the most.
The mark goes away within 2 hours.

Please let us know how you handle it.

mdintx

Re: tips for getting rid of red mark on nose bridge

Post by mdintx » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:48 am

It depends on what it looks like. If it's inflamed and raised, I will ice it first. I find that this does a lot of good, particularly if I do it before my shower.

With skin irritation, I will cover the area with lanolin and apply a band aid after getting out of the shower. I remove the band aid when I get to work and the redness is almost always gone at that point.

I'm currently using the Padacheek nose bridge protector and with that, I wake up with little to no redness any more. It's been wonderful! Thanks Karen!!!!

xyz

Post by xyz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:43 pm

> I use the lanolin cream at night on my nose and cheeks.

Lanolin works for some, but not for everyone. Some have skin allergies to it. For those with skin allergies, a Free & Clear type product should be used.

"Wool alcohol" is another term for lanolin.

http://allergies.about.com/od/fa1/f/moisturizercd.htm

Question: Can I Be Allergic to Skin Creams?

Answer: Absolutely. Many moisturizing skin creams contain various chemical ingredients, both active and inactive, that can result in contact dermatitis.

If you've noticed that your skin reacts negatively after you apply a moisturizer, or if you've already been diagnosed with contact dermatitis, you should check labels of skin creams carefully before use. Lanolin, for example, is one ingredient to look for. It is both a common active ingredient in these products (such as Eucerin and Lubriderm) as well as a common cause of this type of allergic reaction.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/574162_6

History and Epidemiology of Lanolin Allergy
In 1922, a report described a German patient who developed a “skin reaction” to a cream that contained 6% wool alcohols. Seven years later, Ramirez and Eller documented the first patch-test-positive case of allergic contact dermatitis from lanolin. A handful of case reports of lanolin allergy were published during the 1930s, but it was not until the 1950s, when several studies verifying the prevalence of lanolin sensitivity in dermatologic patients were published, that lanolin allergy became widely recognized. Sulzberger and colleagues documented lanolin allergy in 1.14% of 1,048 patients with suspected contact dermatitis in 1953 whereas Baer and colleagues reported a higher rate (4.4%) in 637 dermatologic patients who used hydrous wool fat in 1955. In 1961 and 1962, Hjorth and Trolle-Lassen reported that 1.8% of 1,878 patients had positive patch-test reactions to Eucerin and that 1.6% of 1,664 patients reacted to wool alcohols. Bandmann and colleagues reported a prevalence of 3% in 1972, similar to Mortenson's findings in a separate study in 1979.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:17 pm

xyz wrote:"Wool alcohol" is another term for lanolin.
I certainly agree with most everything you say about some people having an allergy to lanolin.
However, it is not wool alcohol.
It's an oil derived from wool, also known as 'wool fat'.
For many people lanolin is a great restorative for skin and hair.
However, in the same way that some people are allergic to cats or dogs - even if for different basic reasons - some people are allergic to sheep.
Wool alcohol can be derived from lanolin, but it is not the natural product 'lanolin'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylated_lanolin_alcohol

montana

Post by montana » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:24 pm

I do have allergies to many things but thank goodness not to lanolin. I figure if a woman can use it as a nursing cream it can't be too bad. lol

http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Lanolin- ... B0018DMYX4

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:11 pm

xyz wrote:> I use the lanolin cream at night on my nose and cheeks.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/574162_6

History and Epidemiology of Lanolin Allergy
In 1922, a report described a German patient who developed a “skin reaction” to a cream that contained 6% wool alcohols.
Even if it was Lanolin at 6% who knows what the other 94% was? Anyone? Not convincing to me.

Who is to say it wasn't some other ingredient which cause the reaction?

fwiw - Lansinoh is 100% lanolin.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

xyz

Post by xyz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:04 am

dd:
> Wool alcohol can be derived from lanolin, but it is not the natural product 'lanolin'.

Wood alcohol is a COMPONENT OF lanolin.
From your own reference:
"Acetylated lanolin alcohol, sometimes known as "sheep alcohol" or wool alcohol, is a non-drying organic compound _produced from lanolin_

montana:
> I figure if a woman can use it as a nursing cream it can't be too bad. lol

Not bad at all for the 96%-99% who are not allergic to it.
Bad for the 1%-4% who are.

And then consider the case where the mother is not allergic to it and the baby is.

Fussy baby? "Why does this milk taste like sheep milk?" lol

gct:
> Not convincing to me.

You totally dismissed the first reference (about.com).

> Who is to say it wasn't some other ingredient which cause the reaction?

And then also ignored the _six other_ studies which followed -- in the same paragraph -- of the second reference, which was from Medscape.

They were only a _small percentage_ of the references found by google.

The authors of the second reference:
"Bailey Lee, and Erin Warshaw, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, and the Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN."

From the Medscape webpage:
"Medscape is the leading online destination used by physicians and other health care professionals for trusted and timely medical information for over 15 years."

getafix

Post by getafix » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:25 pm

I wear my red mark on my nose bridge with pride

Edit: I use Mirage Activa LT nasal mask.

Last edited by getafix on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vipertec

Post by vipertec » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:37 pm

I have a FullLife mask and even with "moleskin" attached to the cushion ,I still got a slight red mark ,as a matte of fact I couldn't get that mask to stop leaking without using the "moleskin" so it served two purposes. I just got a ComfortGel FFM so we'll see how that does.

slibhart

Post by slibhart » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 am

I have healed up my red mark this week by wearing a bandaid with a little anti biotic cream on it during the night. So far, no leaks. I also called Karen at Pad A Cheek yesterday and ordered her nose bridge protector. I look forward to receiving it. During the day, I use a dab of lotion that has lavender in it to settle down the red mark....seems to work well.