Quattro slides around = leak

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Spirit

Quattro slides around = leak

Post by Spirit » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi,
I've been using Quattro mask for approx 6 months, first mask worked fantastic, hardly no leaks. But just started using new Quattro mask around 2 weeks ago, leak rates increased, hardly no flatlines on the graph.

When I fall asleep, mask is secured no leaking, I simulated sleep for about 30 minutes, tossing/turning no leaks. Well today I noticed when I woke up, sat up in bed, mask started to slide down my face, from moisture build up on the cushion. Humidifier set to 1,. I normally wake up, turn off cpap, take off mask laying in bed.

I do have an oily face, but first Quattro had no leak issues. I was wondering if mouth breathing can build up moisture in mask, causing to slide ??

I don't know, maybe the cushion is defective. Notice I have to tighten, alot more then I did my first one.

Anyone else experience cushion becoming moistured and sliding ? Any solutions ?
Thanks

sunchasers64

Re: Quattro slides around = leak

Post by sunchasers64 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:37 pm

If I have my H4i humidifier on even 0.5, I get moisture on the seal. It blows around and tickles my nose after a few hours, and I have to take off the mask. I tried to get some info from the DME on what could be going on (is it mask? is it rainout even though my tubing is fleece wrapped?), but they have not been helpful on anything at all. Not happy with them (whole other story). I have to turn my humidifier all the way off and only use the passover to stop the moisture, but I don't feel this is enough humidity for me. This will be a problem next winter, as I get nosebleeds very easily if I don't sleep with a humidifier. I'm actually taking my mask and machine back to them today to try to figure out what the problem is. I'll let you know if they give me any good advice (doubtful with them....). Hopefully I'll come home with an S9 with ClimateLine hose.

I'll keep you posted.

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:05 pm

Spirit, you may be interested in reading this thread that dsm started a few weeks ago about the Quattro seal quality and leaking: viewtopic/t50856/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50252.

Spirit

Post by Spirit » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:51 am

Thanks, keep me posted sunchase. Thanks DreamOn, seems like a manufacture defect. I've had to tighten straps, alot more to get a better seal as opposed to before. Hopefully a solution is found soon, or maybe I just need a break in period.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:01 am

I am very happy with my Quattro. The key for me is to wash my face each night and clean the cushion with CPAP wipes each morning. I rarely wash the mask. I think too much washing damages the seal. I replace the cushion every 2-3 months.
Also...very important...be sure you have the correct size mask. The Quattro runs a bit large. Often if you think you need a large, you may get a better fit with a medium.

mdintx

Post by mdintx » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Spirit,

Have you tried using the Remzzzs liners? That may help with the issue of moisture.

tonycog

Post by tonycog » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:53 pm

I'm a big believer in using Lansinoh with my Quattro, applying it where on my face where the seal will be in contact with it. I've experimented a couple of nights without it and can tell the difference. It seems to make a bit of 'stickiness' between the seal and my skin. It doesn't take much. My small $5 tube has lasted 10 months now and still has plenty in it.

Tony

lfreese

Post by lfreese » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:57 pm

Had leak problems as well. Now use Remzzzs mask liners made of 100% cotton that fit over the plastic gasket of the Quattro. Has all but 100% eliminated my leak problems. Available on internet at RemZzzs.com .30 for about $25. I use them about 3 times before replacing.
Good Luck!
Larry in Cincy
Larry in Cincinnati