Help paying for a cpap machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hummingbird

Help paying for a cpap machine

Post by hummingbird » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:51 pm

I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and have to go soon to be fitted w the cpap machine The problem is I have no insurance but can get help paying for my meds through the drug company. Does anyone know if there is anything out there that can help me pay for this machine?

katherinefulmer

Re: Help paying for a cpap machine

Post by katherinefulmer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:03 pm

You can buy out of pocket online. Prices are often cheaper than even some deductibles. Try the website CPAP.com. They sponsor this forum and many of the reader and contributors here attest to their customer service.

I do not know of any programs which help patients pay for their equipment. Sigh. I sure am sorry.

Chin up, you've come to the right place. We're all solutions people here.
Katherine Fulmer
Product Development Analyst
katherine.fulmer@cpaptalk.com

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward. - Kurt Vonnegut

jules

Post by jules » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:07 pm

check out awakeinamerica.org - their donate relief part ------- you want the relief aspect.

you can also check local charities, your local DME's, your local sleep lab and hosptial and churches garage and estate sales and be on the look out for a good used machine - and ask around people you know if they know of anyone who has one sitting in their closet unused (pretty common unfortunately)

you can also check cpapauction.com and bid on machines there - some new - some used - buyer beware of course

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:33 pm

jules wrote:ask around people you know if they know of anyone who has one sitting in their closet unused (pretty common unfortunately)
That's how I got the first CPAP machine I used. By asking around in my small town.

Ask anyone, everyone, from the checkout clerk at the grocery store to the mail delivery person. Everyone. Strangers, even. Not just friends and acquaintances, but ask them, too. Ask everyone, "Do you know anyone who uses or has ever used a CPAP machine? (pronounced SEE-pap) I'm not talking about oxygen...I'm talking about a machine to help them breathe while they sleep. A machine for sleep apnea."

If you ask enough people, you'll find someone who has an extra machine, or a machine they've quit using, packed away in a closet. Probably have a mask or two, also.

Jules is right. "Unused" is all too common. Sad but true.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:27 am

What general area of the country do you live in? How much money can you afford to contribute to the cost of a machine if an inexpensive one was found?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cpapqueen1

Post by cpapqueen1 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:53 am

Respironics has a charity program used in conjunction with a DME company. I would give Respironics a call (800 345 6443) and ask the sales rep that handles your area. The sales rep will direct you to a DME.

pugmomma

Post by pugmomma » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:36 pm

I came to this site looking for a place I can donate mine. I have a machine that used to be my father's and one that was mine. They are older models but still have life in them, especially if you have none. I am willing to donate to someone that can use them, for the cost of shipping. email me if you are interested donnawillis777 at comcast dot net

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:05 pm

What a very nice thing for you to do, Donna. You're a good person.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:33 pm

hummingbird wrote:I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and have to go soon to be fitted w the cpap machine The problem is I have no insurance but can get help paying for my meds through the drug company. Does anyone know if there is anything out there that can help me pay for this machine?
Hummingbird, I'm sharing information I recently recieved through work....hope it is helpful to you. A nonprofit organization "Awake in America" sponsors a CPAP/Bi Pap distribution program. Program requires adocumentation and notarized copies of bills. There is a $50 processing fee if application is accepted for help, and client pays shipping (around $35). Can apply for either a CPAP or a BiPAP, plus supplies.
Website to access materials:

http://www.awakeinamerica.org/

Click on left tab called “Xpap Donation and Relief Program”

In the middle of the page, amongst the paragraph text, click on heading “Xpap Relief Program Application”
Be sure to read the “FAQ- Frequently Asked Questions” as there are helpful hints on the documentation;

elg5cats

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:00 am

thats very nice of you Donna.

Used machines also show up at cheap prices on craigslist.com. Here in Phoenix there are about 20 up for sale most in the $100 to $200 and include masks and humidifiers. Currently the cheapest is a REMstar/plus CPAP and Fisher & Paykel Respiratory Humidifier for sale for $70.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:09 am

rested gal wrote: Jules is right. "Unused" is all too common. Sad but true.
I do wonder why some people are selling up on craisglist, checkout this ad ...

CPAP machine low usage - $150 (Maricopa)
CPAP set at 5.5 with humidifier. It is in very good condition.It was put away when not used. Comes with carry case and instruction booklet. Machine used for about a month. Decided to lose weight instead of using machine. 150.00 o.b.o. I work in Chandler live in Maricopa.
xxx-430-2621

SingleMom

Post by SingleMom » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:04 am

There's a site called wishuponahero.com that you could check out.

You could post on craig's list as well. I posted on craigs list about working for someone to buy my son a new nebulizer. He didn't "need" one, because we have. I "wanted" one I found that came with legos. Well, a wonderful woman and her coworkers purchased and donated it to my son! You should try posting there.

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:38 pm

Read My Post in the Gift Card thread where I propose a method of contributing.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

rubyhdolls@yahoo.com

Post by rubyhdolls@yahoo.com » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:12 am

I have sleep Apnea, and cannot afford a cpap machine. I am using one that belongs to a friend and I think it is getting ready to stop working. It has started to make a weird sound.'

I do not have insurance and barely have enough money to buy food for me and my family. I go to a public clinic and asked the doctor if there was a way I could get help with getting a machine and she said she did not know anyway.

My very dear, old friend loaned me hers' and it is still on her settings, and I am a little worried about that. I can't seem to be able to find one on my own.

Please, if anyone can help, I would be eternally grateful.

I don't know what else to do. Any help would be appricated.

jdm5

Post by jdm5 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:27 am

rubyhdolls@yahoo.com wrote:I have sleep Apnea, and cannot afford a cpap machine. I am using one that belongs to a friend and I think it is getting ready to stop working. It has started to make a weird sound.'

I do not have insurance and barely have enough money to buy food for me and my family. I go to a public clinic and asked the doctor if there was a way I could get help with getting a machine and she said she did not know anyway.

My very dear, old friend loaned me hers' and it is still on her settings, and I am a little worried about that. I can't seem to be able to find one on my own.

Please, if anyone can help, I would be eternally grateful.

I don't know what else to do. Any help would be appricated.
Hi rubyhdolls,

You may want to register here so you can receive private messages...someone may want to reach out to you. As stated earlier in this thread, http://www.awakeinamerica.org/ is one resource - I believe you have to submit an application to them. Other options are http://www.cpapauction.com (the auction site affiliated/hosted by cpap.com) and also http://www.secondwindcpap.com - they sell used CPAP machines with a warranty (I have no affiliation with them, but I have chatted with the owner Mark who is a licensed respiratory therapist and a very nice guy).

Also check out craigslist.org - I've seen some very good deals there.