Frustrated

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hosehead4ever

Frustrated

Post by Hosehead4ever » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:14 am

I keep taking the mask off and turning off the machine. I've tried taping a dixie cup over the on/off button to keep the machine turned on because at least then the boyfriend would hear if the alarm went off. No joy. I'm apparently very determined to turn it off in my sleep. I'm also very determined to make this work. I am Not giving up because my subconscious decides it doesn't like wearing the mask. But I am frustrated by it.

I can't safely move it very far away from the bed because of it being stacked on 4 milk crates and needing them to be supported on two sides by the bed and wall however I am going to remove one of the milk crates to make me have to reach a little farther down to turn it off.

Hopefully I will come up with a fix Soon because it making me a little crazy!

nanwilson

Re: Frustrated

Post by nanwilson » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:26 am

Katy
Instead of taking off one of the milk cartons why don't you just turn one over....over the machine, then tie it to the bottom one. You would probably have to cut a hole for your hose to route through...but hey...it is now in its own cage
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:32 am

Hey, that's a great idea! And cutting a hole is no problem. Don't think I need to tie them together, but I'll try that too, if it doesn't work without doing so.

Bigd

Post by Bigd » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:23 pm

Hello
I cant tell you just how frustrated I became at times when I first got my machine. One very bad night after dealing with leaking mask and waking up multiple times feeling like I was going to suffocate I threw the machine up agenst the wall. Fortunately Resmed makes rugged equipment and it survived. I to was determined not to let my subcounches or in this case my sleep deprived conches win out . If I didn't know how much good CPAP therapy does me I would just not use the machine. Just be persistent. No matter how the previous nights therapy went , tonight is a new night . Have a great nights sleep
Bigd

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:28 pm

Maybe someone can start selling CPAP safes. Get one of those little electronic combination lock safes, cut some holes in the sides for ventilation, hoses, electrical cords, etc. Turn the machine on, close the door, and you've got to be awake enough to work the combination in order to turn it back off.

It would also have the advantage of keeping the cat off the controls, knocking the machine over, etc.

Next item, combination lock mask headgear.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:56 pm

That's a fabulous idea. I really like the combination lock headgear idea. If it can be done, I'm sure someone on this board will do it.

Otter

Post by Otter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:26 pm

KatyDidAgain wrote:I can't safely move it very far away from the bed because of it being stacked on 4 milk crates and needing them to be supported on two sides by the bed and wall however I am going to remove one of the milk crates to make me have to reach a little farther down to turn it off.
Why not put the machine on the floor under the bed, perhaps with one of he milk crates over it as Nan suggested? Not only would the machine be harder to get to, you wouldn't have to worry about knocking it off your crate stack.

If your boyfriend doesn't mind the guard duty, consider putting some sort of alarm in your path. A big windchime hanging on the side of the bed where your machine is might help. Or an electronic alarm could be rigged fairly easily. In fact, it could be simply electric. Just put a mercury switch on the milk crate cage so that if you move it, a buzzer or bell sounds. The switch I'm talking about is your basic pinball tilt sensor. They're used for all sorts of things, and are cheap at discount electronic supply sites.

Or if you can find a reasonable way to route the tubing, you could put the machine on his side of the bed.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:31 pm

OK, I'm just having fun here now:

How about a dog collar so you can't reach your mask and take it off???

I had a cousin who became an electrical engineer. When he was a kid, his favorite thing to do was wire things up to deliver an electric shock. I will NEVER play the game Operation again because instead of the nose lighting up and buzzer going off, the game gave you an electric shock if you accidentaly touched the metal with the tweezers. I suppose someone like him could rig up your headgear that way. YIKES
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Otter, I have a loft bed about 5' from the top of the mattress to the floor. Too far with my hose but possibly if I could get a 8 or 10 ft hose. But gonna try taking one milk crate out first.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:32 pm

I think the putting the machine inside the milk crate and having the hose come through the sides is a good working idea. You could possible rig up some sort of hinge and locking system so you can turn the machine on, lock the crate close and not worry about it for the rest of the night.

It took me about 3 months before I finally stopped messing with my mask. I would on occassion put my hands in my face to move my hair out my face and pull of the mask. I learned to tie my hair back when I sleep. I also would put the mask back on as soon as I got a blast of air.

Now that I put pad a cheek barrel cozy on I don't mess with it at all.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Your looking at this from the wrong end, instead of hiding your machine wear some mittens with string or even tape your fingers up and then when your ready get someone to turn the machine on for you.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Mon May 02, 2011 1:24 pm

This is driving me crazy. Last night, I took off the mask, disconnected it from the hose, tossed the mask on the floor and unrouted the hose from it's make-shift hanger. And I DON'T REMEMBER ANY OF IT!!! I woke up some time in the middle of the night and realized this and put it all back together except for rerouting the hose. But it is driving me nuts.

On top of that, I ordered a Halo chin strap and it's way too big. *sigh* Last night seems to be the first time Aerophagia has been a problem too.

I've gone back to using my nasal pillows because the Mirage Liberty that Uncle_Bob gave me is leaking like crazy after a couple of really good nights. But the nasal pillows leak because the strap slips off my head.

Help? Any suggestions? I'm not feeling bad in the morning, so I think I'm getting better sleep overall, despite these issues, but it's frustrating that I'm having such a hard time getting this to work.

rubymom

Post by rubymom » Thu May 05, 2011 8:50 am

Hi!

I'm not a frequent visitor to the forum anymore, so forgive me if this is addressed elsewhere.

As a Mirage Liberty user, I'm wondering if you have abandoned that mask completely or if you think there are things that can be done to make it work for you? Where exactly was it leaking? I've used the mask successfully for a couple of years now.

gasp

Post by gasp » Thu May 05, 2011 11:25 am

Good job keeping at it! It took many, many masks for me to come upon the one that worked best for me. I cringed the first time I saw the mask I have now used for probably close to 3 years. Keep up the good fight : )

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 05, 2011 11:32 am

The milk crates sound like such a good idea.
I think I would use a couple of zip ties on one side as a hinge, and put a cheapie padlock on the side closest to you.
Should you lose the key, you can cut the zip ties.
Hide the scissors at night.