Preventing Air from Blowing on my Partner

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rubymom

Preventing Air from Blowing on my Partner

Post by rubymom » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:09 am

Hi Everybody!

I'm not here much anymore as I'm almost two years into my treatment and things are going well.

Right now, however, I wondered if I can hear some ideas for how people keep the cold air from blowing on their sleeping partner at night. I sleep on my side and always use a hugging pillow. I've been trying to move the pillow up far enough so that it is in front of my face. But that's not ideal for a few reasons. One is that the pillow is up too high--I prefer it lower, around my elbow. Plus he usually takes up so much of the bed that the pillow is right on my face and the air blows back at me.

I recently tried a small dishtowel and draping it over my face but that just falls away pretty quickly.

What's working for you?

Thanks!!

LSAT

Re: Preventing Air from Blowing on my Partner

Post by LSAT » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:38 am

Easy...Turn on your opposite side so you are not facing your partner.

bap40

Post by bap40 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:08 am

I put my head under the covers leaving enough space so the air doesn't blow back at me. It works for us.
Brooke

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 am

I'm like LSAT, I just sleep on my left side of my back. My bed partner gets up very early so after 3:30AM I can sleep however I want. Has you partner complained? The air might not be strong enough to bother them.
Mary Z.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:58 am

I normally sleep on my right side away from hubby. Sometimes during the night I will end up on my left side and he gets the air on him. Most of the time he says he just pulls the covers up a bit and that is enough to block the air. He says it feels good in the summer..... course now not so good.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

me,too

Post by me,too » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:46 am

Too bad that cpap designers don't take this into account. Even some way to diffuse the air flow would help. I need a Lab-Rat, too.

Mark NJ

Post by Mark NJ » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:48 am

Glue a "tent" over the exhaust holes in your mask. You can make a tent out of nearly any suitable material that will bend into the shape of a "nose umbrella". Or, just buy such a shield for your nose as are used to avoid sunburn of the nose in very sunny climates. By gluing the top (bridge of nose) and sides you leave an open "tent door" at the bottom - tip of nose. That directs the airflow toward your feet - away from your partner.
Mark

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:54 am

me,too wrote:Too bad that cpap designers don't take this into account.
Some do, but it creates a different problem:

The exhaust vent holes on the Swift FX nasal pillows mask are clearly designed to avoid blowing air on the bedpartner---and it's even advertised as a major feature.

But the direction of these vent holes cause the FX to blow directly on the USER instead of the bedpartner. And a quick search of this forum will quickly lead you to the conclusion that most of the FX USERS dislike this feature intensely---you can't turn over to avoid having the air blow on your own chest.
Even some way to diffuse the air flow would help.
Amen to this!

raylo

Post by raylo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:27 pm

I do this with my Swift LT (but now I cut off thin layers of the filter material from resmed S8 filters). Haven't tried it on many other masks.

Oops for got link:
viewtopic.php?p=384984#p384984

Ms Piggy

Post by Ms Piggy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:45 pm

I cut a thinnish strip out of a dish scrub pad and taped it over the vent on my breeze in an inverted V shape, to deflect the air. this topic has been covered in the past , try looking it up in search area.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:11 am

me,too wrote:Too bad that cpap designers don't take this into account. Even some way to diffuse the air flow would help. I need a Lab-Rat, too.
Y'know, I'm really surprised that manufacturers with the technical ability to design and produce an xPAP mask seem to have completely missed the importance of engineering it to diffuse the exhaust air stream. This is such a common gripe, surely the manufacturers are aware of the problem.

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:41 am

Slartybartfast wrote:
me,too wrote:Too bad that cpap designers don't take this into account. Even some way to diffuse the air flow would help. I need a Lab-Rat, too.
Y'know, I'm really surprised that manufacturers with the technical ability to design and produce an xPAP mask seem to have completely missed the importance of engineering it to diffuse the exhaust air stream. This is such a common gripe, surely the manufacturers are aware of the problem.
Like too many other things concerning xPAP, it may just be they simply don't care---just like they don't seem to care about the facts that
  • Compliance only data xPAPs are a real problem since not having the data easily leads to discouragement for newbies who don't feel better in a week or two.

User software is nonexistent or expensive, even though having the software genuinely helps in trouble shooting.

Quality control issues exist on exist on some mask and xPAP parts (For examples, consider the short life of many of ResMed's current nasal pillows and the on-going issues some folks have with the ClimateLine hose).[/quote]

I continue to find it amazing how much easier it seems to be for diabetics to become actively involved in their treatment---in terms of doctor encouragement and availablity of quality home monitoring devices. I'm also amazed at the amount of advertising directed towards diabetics. We'll know that OSA no longer carries a negative stigma in the culture at large when we see ads on tv advertising xPAP machines ending with the tag line of "See your doctor to find out more about how the *** PAP can help your therapy become more effective."

Johnpded@yahoo.com

Post by Johnpded@yahoo.com » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:50 am

I like some of you here have a spouse who uses a cpap machine and I constantly have the exhaust air blowing on my face or back of my head. After looking on the Internet for a product only to find out it doesn't exist I decided to make one of my own. I'll let you know when I finish it.
John

Mr Snuffy

Post by Mr Snuffy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:40 pm

rubymom wrote:Hi Everybody!

What's working for you?

Thanks!!
Switch sides of the bed so you are facing out away from your partner.

I toss and turn so it does not matter. I like my mask as it does not seem to blow in a jet stream. My wife uses a Swift and sometimes I get the jet stream from her. I just roll over.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Mr Snuffy wrote:Switch sides of the bed so you are facing out away from your partner.

I toss and turn so it does not matter. I like my mask as it does not seem to blow in a jet stream. My wife uses a Swift and sometimes I get the jet stream from her. I just roll over.
the new thing is putting a filter pad over the output, F&P has that on a few of their newer masks, it turns the jet into something like the waft that the P10 has... huge improvement, I'd be rigging up something like that if I didn't use the P10 myself.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.