How often do you conciously wake up each night?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bayourest

Re: How often do you conciously wake up each night?

Post by bayourest » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:12 am

I often wake up several times per night now (I've been on xpap since november) but rarely have to get up to go to the bathroom now vs 2 or more trips before xpap. Now I wake up and MOST often just go back to sleep. 2 hour intervals of sleep are not unusual but sometimes I dont wake up or get up. overall it's a lot better since xpap.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:08 pm

That is my understanding.I can now go the whole night without getting up.

rubymom

Post by rubymom » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Pre-CPAP, I used to wake up five or six times a night to use the bathroom. For as long as I remember. Now, I still wake up as often, but never to use the bathroom. I seem to wake up every time I need to roll over. I find I get uncomfortable and need to roll.

hosehead_dolphy

Post by hosehead_dolphy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 am

Thank you Pugys for the good explanation. It does make sense too!

Paula J

Post by Paula J » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:41 am

Here's a possible answer as to why no bathroom trips or less bathroom trips at night while on Cpap. I was diagnosed in March with Diabetes 2 and I had noticed that I was having a lot of trouble at night with having to go to the bathroom, which I had never had a problem with before. I started on Cpap about 3 weeks ago and have not had to get up any at night to go to the bathroom. So, hopefully the Cpap is helping me with my diabetes. Would be interested if anyone else has found this to be true with them????

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Before CPAP, two - four times a night that I was aware of. Never woke gasping or feeling out of breath, however.

During my seven years of CPAP so far, four or five times a night that I'm aware of.
I do have PLMD (Periodic Limb Movement Disorder) in addition to OSA, so could possibly account for some (perhaps all) of my awakenings both before and with CPAP. I tried Mirapex for about a month for the PLMD, but saw no difference in the number of times I waked up during the night. The two times I tried to increase the Mirapex, I was extremely intolerant to the increase. So, I quit taking it.

With CPAP I wake very rested each morning, despite the several wakeups every night. Without CPAP I always felt like I wanted to hit the snooze button, and I was a drowsy driver.

When I wake up at night, I have no problem at all going back to sleep.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:38 pm

"There should probably be about 40-50 stage shifts in a normal, healthy patient not troubled by lab effect (the test itself can drive up the stage shifts). Most references are looking at about 7 stage shifts per hour, give or take. There should be few, if any awakenings, perhaps in the neighborhood of like "2". An awakening is a sleep disturbance that lasts >15 seconds, as opposed to an arousal, which lasts 3 - 15 seconds. Consequently, awakenings are highly disruptive to sleep." (Red emphasis, mine.)
viewtopic.php?p=388771#p388771

Muffy's post contains example graphs of normal sleep, and sleep disturbed by OSA.

Muffy also posts under the nicknames: NotMuffy, StillAnotherGuest, deltadave, sleepydave.

He's the manager of a accredited hospital based sleep center, and has these credentials: RRT, RPSGT, RCIS.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

louspeachy

Post by louspeachy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:28 pm

I am a VERY light sleeper. I wake up when my husband snores (only if sleeping on his back), gets out of bed, fluffs his pillow OR if one of the dogs moves (yes, they sleep with us). I can't go back to sleep till I go to the bathroom, don't ask me why but I have always been that way.

I don't think I have EVER slept through the night without waking up!!

Louise
"Any day above ground is a good one."

harold1

Post by harold1 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:36 am

It depends some time if it is a bad dream and if its come continuously I wake up every five minutes and it happens only for a hour. Some times sleep no any wakes.