Mask for life

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PolarBearDXB

Mask for life

Post by PolarBearDXB » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:21 am

I have been a forum reader for a long time,without posting anything. I was diagnosed with OSA in the US, but currently live in Dubai. I get all my supplies such as masks online as I have yet to find a good DME here. The downside is that shipping is so expensive that I cannot make use of return policies. I have used CPAP for six years, but have yet to find a mask that I am 100% satisfied with and think I will re-order and use for life.

What I am curious about is whether other experienced users have the same problem? Are you constantly searching for a better mask like me, or have most people found "the" mask that they think they will use for life?

I started off with nasal masks, comfort gel masks, and am currently using nasal pillows. I also tried a ResMed full face mask, which I could only stand for two nights before giving up. My most recent purchase was the Respironics Go Life mask for Men which I am struggling with.

Pugsy

Re: Mask for life

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:11 am

I think for many, many users it is an ongoing search for find the "perfect" mask.

I went through my experimenting phase but since I limited my experiments to nasal pillow only types, I pretty quickly exhausted the subjects. I settled on the Swift LT which was initially my first mask choice but I still had to try the others. Then last summer got the Swift FX and settled with it. If I could say I "loved" a mask, this would be it.
But if they came out with a "new and improved" nasal pillow mask with even less on my face, I would probably try it. We just always want to make it a tiny bit better.

Mask makers are continually trying to improve the masks. I think it is just human nature to spot one and want to see if it is any "better"..

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

rubymom

Post by rubymom » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:28 am

I have used the second mask I tried for 20 of the 22 months I'd used xpap. It (Mirage Liberty) seems to do the job for me with minimal fuss. BUT I remain on the lookout for something better to come along. About a year ago, I tried the Hybrid after reading so many glowing reviews about it, but I never even made it through one night with that mask.

I hope that manufacturers are continually improving their products and look forward to trying new things as they come along and look promising.

Good luck to you!!

bap40

Post by bap40 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:19 am

I have been on the hose for going on 3 yrs. The first year I tried every different mask that I could afford and most of them were from CPAPAuction or from my DME on the 30 day trial. I don't know how many there were but quite a few. These were all nasal masks. Then came the trials with nasal pillows. The Swift 2 was the first and did not work well for me. Next came the Swift LT for her and that one has turned into my mask of choice but even after finding my one and only…. I rocked the boat by trying the FX. No go for sure. The whole set up was too big for my head. Went right back to the Swift LT for her. Next I tried the Opus since a lot of people on the board love it. No go for that one and back to my Swift Lt again. I have been using the LT faithfully for about a year off and on, still looking for the perfect mask although I DO HAVE the PERFECT mask for my face. Will I try out one if it is new and is getting good reviews? Probably….. and probably will end up back with "old Faithful" Sad but true. I think the perfect set up would be to have custom fitted masks for everyone. The problem would be the cost of making masks to order. Who knows what will come down the road next???
Brooke