Let's talk BOOZE!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
spacetoast

Let's talk BOOZE!

Post by spacetoast » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Seriously, booze.

Have any of you folks been able to correlate alcohol consumption with poor AHI numbers?

I have just over a week's worth of data now and there were a couple of nights where my AHI was less than 2! Then, for the past 3 nights, my numbers were more likely to be between 5 and 10 (AHI).

I was trying to figure out what was different between the nights and I think that for the last three nights, I've had about two glasses of wine with dinner (probably 3 hours before bed).

Have any of you noticed poor AHI numbers after consumption of alcohol with dinner?

Thanks!

Curtis

EDIT: Haha, edited to change "I've had about two glasses of wine for dinner " with "I've had about two glasses of wine with dinner "

SleepyT

Re: Let's talk BOOZE!

Post by SleepyT » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:40 pm

Yep, yep, and yep. And I've also had trouble with gout symptoms due to sleep apnea and alcohol...but that's a whole 'nother topic!

I have found that a glass of wine with lunch or early happy hour (say 4PM) is better for sleep that night. If I have beer/wine with dinner...I will most certainly start blowing air out of my mouth. If I don't drink, I can keep my mouth shut at night...no problem.

Sorry to rain on your parade!

T.

"Knowledge is power."

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:46 pm

A dear friend of mine, who has been an RN for 30 years, just told me that alcohol is actually a stimulant. Strange, I always thought it was a central nervous system supressant? I know a few of you are in the medical field, but I can't remember who.
Sleep well and live better!

Jason S.

Post by Jason S. » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:48 pm

Its well-documented that alcohol, especially at night, relaxes the muscles and thus can aggravate OSA. Same is true for sleep aids and muscle relaxants.

Additional Comments: Max pressure set at 15cm

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:56 pm

Jason S. wrote:Its well-documented that alcohol, especially at night, relaxes the muscles and thus can aggravate OSA. Same is true for sleep aids and muscle relaxants.

Oh crap i use all those

Isnt alcohol OK 4 hours or more prior to sleeping?

TenmaNeko

Post by TenmaNeko » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Well, on Mondays we go to bar trivia with my family. I typically have a couple martinis (dry as a bone and filthy as hell) and then follow up with an older cocktail (Tom Collins, Gimlet or maybe a gin and tonic)

My AHI, if it's any worse, is still under 5. However, I've noticed my EPI goes up a lot.

But that's it. I may be a little groggy the next morning, but that's usually because I didn't drink enough water

Rustyolddude

Post by Rustyolddude » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:12 pm

Inversely proportional for me. My numbers look great because I never went into a deep sleep, 7-8 hours of listening to myself breath. Been there, done that, got the charts. Guess if I want to drink, I'll have to have Mimosa's for breakfast or drink at work like an executive. I gave up most everything else a month before starting CPAP, giving up the occasional evening beer, wine or scotch isn't much of a sacrifice at this point. Besides a solid nights sleep ranks right up there with a top shelf single malt.

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:36 pm

It has been said that the problem with drinking is that you have a drink, and it makes a new man out of you, and then HE wants a drink.

I wonder if the AHI sometimes gets recorded for both?

A few weeks ago I had two beers fairly late one evening and found that it had no effect on my numbers but seemed to affect the restfulness of my sleep.

But, hey, it was Brooklyn Lager on tap at an establishment with an excellent live performer on six-string, so it was worth it. And it could very well happen again in a few weeks, if fishhead is buying.

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:59 pm

Rustyolddude wrote:.. Besides a solid nights sleep ranks right up there with a top shelf single malt.
You got THAT right!

"Knowledge is power."

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:16 pm

spacetoast wrote:Have any of you noticed poor AHI numbers after consumption of alcohol with dinner? "
For me there is not a strong correlation. My AHI has dropped over the past year or so, from around 7 to between 1 and 3, and my mean pressure has actually dropped from around 14-15 to 0-10. If I drink excessively, I notice that the snore index may increase, but that is not directly related to AHI. I don't feel as well rested if I have had too much to drink, but for me, its not reflected in the AHI or pressure needed to maintain an open airway. Something that does seem to correlate to higher numbers is a sense of stress. YMMV

spacetoast

Post by spacetoast » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks for the input folks.

It may just be too early in my therapy to make any calls on what is going on right now. It's also the worst part of the allergy season for me and that might be causing issues too.

Maybe I'll stick to drinking in the morning

fuzzy96

Post by fuzzy96 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:48 pm

go figure spacetoast i see you are from golden colorado!!!!!!!!!!

you ever go pee in that stream?

i bet you drink bud too

spacetoast

Post by spacetoast » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:11 pm

fuzzy96 wrote: you ever go pee in that stream?
There's a little bit of me in every bottle!

Actually, I brew my own. But if I do buy beer, I go to Golden's Second Largest Brewery: Golden City Brewery. I think they have about 2,000 square feet of space.

Piece o' Trivia: The Coors Brewery in Golden is the largest single site brewery in the world. Carbonman can vouch for its size when he rides up Lookout Mountain where panoramic views of Golden are afforded.

rogelah

Post by rogelah » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:59 pm

For those who want to take a little edge off of things...it's a sedative.

For those who need something to get them going...it's a stimulant.
ResMed VPAP III ST
IPAP:23.0, EPAP:12.0, RR:15, RT:250ms, IPAPmax:2.0s, MAX I:E:1:1, IPAPmin:1.0s

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:13 pm

However - a glass of wine a day has been shown to reduce cholesterol, incidents of heart attacks, help with weight loss (speeds up the metabolism) and other health issues.

So if you are going to spend money on booze - go for quality red wines.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal