Medical Marijuana for Sleep Apnea!?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman

Re: Medical Marijuana for Sleep Apnea!?

Post by Wulfman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:27 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
My favorite quote when it comes to this sort of thing is from the movie Men in Black - "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
But you see this quote is totally wrong -2500 to 1500 years ago the chinese, Indians and the greeks and the romans knew the earth was round and not the center of the universe.

They tried to ban all intoxicating substances - It was called the "Prohibition" It was very exciting. Only the US had it and it created the biggest organizations of criminals ever existed. Lots of people died drinking bad booze - just like now lots of people die using bad drugs.

It also made lots of Canadians very rich.

It goes back a LOT farther than the Prohibition years and the Pure Food and Drug Act in the early 1900's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_Wars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_abuse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Food_and_Drug_Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine

With regard to the information asserted about the societies who believed the earth was round or flat.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

Personally, I'm for dealing with the drug dealers like these countries:

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2003/02/02/643/55662

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/2 ... t-to-death

http://www.arabicnews.com/ansub/Daily/D ... 40301.html

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... rs/328238/

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

TenmaNeko

Post by TenmaNeko » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:17 pm

teresamichele wrote:I'm not anti-people, but I'm against them being able to legally obtain substances that could help them kill me.
Cars, firearms, knives, gasoline, crowbars, trucks, gym memberships, baseball bats, martial arts classes, crossbows, airplanes, ammonia and bleach, plastic bags, piano wire, rope, javelins, cricket bats, extension cords, cigarettes, lighters, paint thinner, syringes, and now I'm getting tired of typing.

It's a dangerous world out there.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:22 pm

TenmaNeko wrote:
teresamichele wrote:I'm not anti-people, but I'm against them being able to legally obtain substances that could help them kill me.
Cars, firearms, knives, gasoline, crowbars, trucks, gym memberships, baseball bats, martial arts classes, crossbows, airplanes, ammonia and bleach, plastic bags, piano wire, rope, javelins, cricket bats, extension cords, cigarettes, lighters, paint thinner, syringes, and now I'm getting tired of typing.

You forgot......WATER.......too much of it (particularly inhaled) can kill you too.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

TenmaNeko

Post by TenmaNeko » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Wulfman wrote:
TenmaNeko wrote:

You forgot......WATER.......too much of it (particularly inhaled) can kill you too.

Den
Ah, how could I have forgotten the horrors of Dihydrogen Monoxide? Of kids under 4 that die, this substance is responsible for 26%. It kills 9 Americans per day! It's present in every school in this country! Why is this killer still allowed on our streets?!

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:50 pm

teresamichele wrote:...I'm not anti-people, but I'm against them being able to legally obtain substances that could help them kill me.
I suspect the fact that most of them turning to crime to feed their illegal habits is a greater danger to you than allowing them to blast their brains out with legal drugs. Not too many people get mugged/murdered/burglarized for a hit of alcohol. There doesn't seem to be a rational solution to the problem, though...

T
The old six shooter was as popular as the cellphone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the theater!

rudyrx

Post by rudyrx » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:26 pm

As a pharmacist I must tell you that I have many physician friends that endorse the use of MJ daily to their patients for several disabling diseases. In fact I live in a state (Oregon) where one can obtain a Medical Marjuania Card for use of the tetra-hydro-cannibinols for medical use LEGALLY. Just shows you that when one thinks we have all the knowledge we think our hard drive can absorb, along comes another interesting fact or factor. Personally I truly believe if the US Government could control its production which also means profit from it by taxing it (which we all know it can't), it would be a legal substance in this country

I must caution you however that with my pharmacy background, the MJ of my days in the 60' and 70's is about 1/100th the potency of newly cultivated strains that are now considered extremely addictive and the treatement for getting off these new strains is a big business in drug rehab centers recently---SO BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL IF YOU TAKE THIS ROAD.

In 1970 I actually did work on a study funded by the NIMH on how climate effects of the potency. We had a state of the art then a great $40K simulated climatic growth chamber and seeds from the NIMH. Only trouble is that we could not get the seeds to germinate. I remember my professor ranting and raveing for over an hour that every student on campus was growing it in their closets and we couldn't even get it to germinate under ideal conditions. Had to go one of the local dealers for help on this with an off the record the blessing of this supervising professor of Pharmacognosy. Bottom line the seeds were immature and our local expert solved our problem by informing us that if we soaked them in dilute hydrochloric acid over night they would sprout. They did and when they were transferred to Pharmacy School's greenhouse at a stage they had reached approximately 12 inches tall, they were stolen promptly that night.
Seriously though this is a true drug of nature that has been round since the beginning of time and used for various medical uses. When I interned in an old store during my first summer, I stumbled upon an old package of marajuana cigarettes under a drug company logo that was dated in the 1920s as the cure call panacea for Asthma. Interesting the history of this naturaly occuring plant substance. BE VERY CAREFULL

RUDYRX

araminta

Post by araminta » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Isn't one of the primary reasons for the increased potency of MJ today is cause of the punishment for growing & selling? So if it's stronger, there's less volume needed to get high. And if the law was changed, a greater range of potency could be more readily available?

TenmaNeko

Post by TenmaNeko » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:21 am

rudyrx wrote: I must caution you however that with my pharmacy background, the MJ of my days in the 60' and 70's is about 1/100th the potency of newly cultivated strains that are now considered extremely addictive and the treatement for getting off these new strains is a big business in drug rehab centers recently---SO BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL IF YOU TAKE THIS ROAD.
Well, the "big business" should be a sign. Caught your kid with weed? He's probably an addict, better send him to our clinic. Also some states have started diverting people arrested on drug charges to treatment centers instead of jail.

Anyway, my actual issue with this section of your post is the "1/100th" quote. I don't suppose you have any data to go along with that? As far as I understand there is no potency data for the 1960's. The data available for the 1970's seems to point to an average THC content of 3.5%, with some as high as 17%. I doubt cannabis today is 350% THC. The highest I have read of is in the upper 30% range. But this rather like comparing the performance of a 70's Vega with that of Veyron. Most people can't afford the extremely potent stuff, or don't want to.

People can self-titrate also. You may drink 24oz of beer to get a buzz, but not 24oz of Jaeger. Mostly because Jaeger is gross. But yes, some people can over do it and do not stop when they should (like with food, alcohol, sex, gambling, etc.) But let's not punish everyone for the actions of a few.

howkim

Post by howkim » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:45 pm

In case anyone is interested: http://news.olemiss.edu/index.php/Ole-M ... tlgeo.html

I've known about this project for 30+ years. Some of my classmates in college were desperate to go to graduate school there and work on the project.

I am not a mushroom.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:46 pm

BlackSpinner wrote: For adults - YES

There is no reason for them to be illegal and alcohol to be legal.
Adults should be able to make their own choices.
Oh i need to put down my beer then, I don't think I'm grown up enough to be an adult

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:29 pm

rudyrx wrote:... the potency of newly cultivated strains that are now considered extremely addictive ...

RUDYRX
Do you have a citation for this conclusion? My brief web searched turned up conflicting conclusions on this.

e.g. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_marijuana_addictive
I'm workin' on it.

mikebz5

Post by mikebz5 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:43 pm

I think the use of MJ merits further scrutiny. I have noticed my events are about half the norm if I occasional enjoy a bit of MJ.

amscontr

Post by amscontr » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:37 pm

I have had slepp apnea since 1998 and the only thing that helps me sleeep good is some of mary jane's rx.
True the mj of these days is stronger than it was in the 60's-&-70's. However that means you smoke less and get more. That's why the government and big biz pharmacuetical corps refuse to legalize it.

diboja

Post by diboja » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:50 pm

sleepguide wrote: Marijuana provides only temporary relief. For them, marijuana is not the ticket to a better life, but to a temporarily less difficult one."

Sounds good to me.....I will have a lot of temporaries!!!!

NEW YORKER

Post by NEW YORKER » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:38 pm

Can't we all just get a bong?