Resmed Resscan File Format

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Resmed Resscan File Format

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Hi all,

I am hoping that someone in this excellent community has managed to reverse engineer Resmed's file format and will share (saving me the time of doing it myself) in exchange for an application I will code that presents the data in useful format vs the crap Resscan provides of 1 plot per graph. In addition, I am thinking that it would be nice to export detailed data for periods of interest to .csv for import into Excel so you can do what ever you want with the data.

Thanks!

-Guy

abq_guy

Re: Resmed Resscan File Format

Post by abq_guy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:00 pm

Sorry about that! I didn't mean to post anonymously...

How embarrassing!

SleepyInDC

Post by SleepyInDC » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:33 am

Tagging because I'm curious.

They seem to use a few different files. One for detailed data on a per night basis, and one for the summary data. Neither is any format I have ever seen. I'm sure it is readable though. I'll try looking at it a bit more tonight and see what I can figure out.

abq_guy

Post by abq_guy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:23 am

Did some poking around last night. In the detailed file (the one of interest) there appear to be 30 sections delineated by "SX480-0101;AUTOSET_II" in my case and I am wondering if that tag changes based on machine. Of those 30 delineations 11 are preceded by the tag "META" with some number of bytes (frequently 16) between it and the "SX480-0101;AUTOSET_II" tag. As a base assumption those 11 fields are some complex data type and the remainder are a simple data type. There are a number of plots available through the Resscan software so I am guessing an array of some sort for the simple data type. I haven't had the opportunity to test this idea but will hopefully get a chance later on today.

-Guy

BlueHairBob

Post by BlueHairBob » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:44 am

Would some of you be interested in posting sample files from different machines so that we could work on the decoding efforts and "open source" some community driven software? I am getting an IntelliPap Auto today and would have loved having some samples of the data files to look at before hand. There are enough of us interested in custom software that we should coordinate a bit. What if we built a set of decoders for the different machines and converted to a common database format and then had common analyzer software that would work with several units?

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:48 am

I've not seen it, but I know that there is a user-created OSA data analysis program written for Encore Pro users. And Encore Pro uses a MicroSoft SQL Server database.

Since an SQL database makes further analysis easier, maybe we should try to convert other brands of data to Encore's format. And I'll bet that the software that works with SQL Server could easily be made to work with some of the free SQL databases.
jeff

atab

Post by atab » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:54 am

I will join into this effort when I get my ResScan gear. I just installed software. I will try to save files step by step. ie. Before the first download and after the first. I will also create every report possible after the first download. That way we can correlate presentations to database contents. What are the default locations of files anyway?

atab

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 am

In XP it's

SystemDrive:\Program Files\ResMed\ResMed3\Patients\LastName,Firstname
jeff

abq_guy

Post by abq_guy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:38 pm

jdm2857 wrote:I've not seen it, but I know that there is a user-created OSA data analysis program written for Encore Pro users. And Encore Pro uses a MicroSoft SQL Server database.

Since an SQL database makes further analysis easier, maybe we should try to convert other brands of data to Encore's format. And I'll bet that the software that works with SQL Server could easily be made to work with some of the free SQL databases.
This is not entirely true. Microsoft relies heavily on Transact-SQL which is adds a layer not everyone recognizes. However, that being said, SQLServer lite is free so we wouldn't need to worry about interfacing with other products. I have used it extensively and have found it to be robust and as of yet, number of simultaneous connections aside, I haven't found a limitation. The only potential issue that pops immediately to mind is storing the arrays of raw data but that could be handled through a pseudo pointer to location inside of a file on disk worst case scenario.

The advantage to standardizing on Encore's format is we only need to write the converter (I believe it would be easier to go from data file directly to database vs data file to encore data file to database) to leverage the the analysis program you reference. The disadvantage is that that package may not be open source (I did a quick Google and couldn't find it).

I am all for an open source effort. Giddy up! Step 1 is the environment. I vote for sitting on top .Net via the Visual Studio products (also available for free though there are limitations there that may cause issue) which will provide multiple development environments that can be merged together unless everyone is comfortable with LabVIEW. Step 2 might be Sourceforge and Yahoo groups? Step 3 is requirements which should be carefully considered.

Thoughts? How formal should the effort be?

-Guy

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:43 pm

SQL Server and .NET restrict the software to Windows. There are Mac and Linux users we should consider, especially since the xPAP manufacturers don't.

Maybe Java?
jeff

SleepyInDC

Post by SleepyInDC » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:48 pm

I'm more than happy to give reports and my DBs. ResScan is interesting. It makes a separate file for each detailed data session....

abq_guy

Post by abq_guy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:04 pm

jdm2857 wrote:SQL Server and .NET restrict the software to Windows. There are Mac and Linux users we should consider, especially since the xPAP manufacturers don't.

Maybe Java?
I was shooting at the 93% use case

But very good point... OS agnostic would be highly desirable.

-Guy

Pendragon

Post by Pendragon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:17 pm

jdm2857 wrote:SQL Server and .NET restrict the software to Windows. There are Mac and Linux users we should consider, especially since the xPAP manufacturers don't.

Maybe Java?

Good point, being a Linux user myself.
I'll be more than happy helping out where I can. I was going to try flying solo on something for resscan cards,
SQL is do-able in Linux, but .NET definitly limits it to Windoze. There are a ton of C+ variants/flavours, and databases are also in abundance.
PHP,Perl and more, just to name a few ways of going about it. Almost everything for Linux is open source and freely distributable. But I'll be happy to help out on a Windoze distro too, as that's where my experience is anyway.

Anyway, once I get my card reader, I'll be in a better position to help out. But I'm in all the same.

(OT... I just posted this a minute ago, and got a preview of the last reply by abq_guy, not mine, then went on to the post again, and mine was gone.... weird. Maybe we both hit post at the same time..?)
http://www.paintitpinkcanada.com/pages/gallery.php?lang=eng&id=07291949316296
Click here to help fight Breast Cancer. Vote for the butterfly.

hikewv

Post by hikewv » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:42 pm

I would be willing to post my files or help anyway I can also. I ordered my card reader today.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:32 pm

This is a very good idea, open source for CPAP monitoring I like it.

It would be good to include a feature to import files recorded by the most popular oximeters too. The oximeter data could be aligned in graph format with the CPAP data

Or am i dreaming?