3 years without a good mask fit

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
broussardish

3 years without a good mask fit

Post by broussardish » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Has anyone else struggled this long to find a mask that works for them? There's literally always something to deal with. I've wound up with a full-face (eyes and all) Respironics mask but even though I order the smallest size headset, the straps are too long and they are placed so that they creep down onto the back of my neck at night, so I have to tug them back up. Can't believe no one makes a customizable mask and head gear.

Sheriff Buford

Re: 3 years without a good mask fit

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:14 pm

Please post your equipment in your profile.

From your thread, I suspect you use the same mask as I do. Though I have a large mask, the straps are very large and I have a large head. I often wondered about using the large mask and small headgear. You should check out nasal and full face masks. Have you tried them?

big_dave

Post by big_dave » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm having a similar problem. My mask itself is great, but I've gone through three different headgear without getting a good fit. My mask came with a damaged headgear that felt too small. I switched to a large ResMed universal headgear but it slid all over my face since it seems to be designed for someone with big hair (my hair is close-cut). I switched back to the original temporarily until I got a medium ResMed universal headgear. This one works the best of the three and it seems to fit the back of my head well, giving me low leaks and low AHI. The problem with this headgear is that the lower straps are too short, making the mask tighter than I like. Does anyone have recommendations for a better headgear, or suggestions for adapting this one for a better fit?

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:22 pm

How many masks have you tried?

When I started I used the Fisher and Paykel 431. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to use nasal pillows, nasal prongs, or other types of masks. I settled in to my therapy and then tried an Optilife mask. It tooks some getting used to and I didn't care for the fit, but liked not having as much on my face. I then set upon my quest to find THE mask. I went through many, many mask -- I tried Breeze, the Optilife, NasalAire I and II, Swift I and II, Snapp, Comfortlite, ComfortCurve, and many more. I paid out of pocket but purchased gently used masks from forum members and cpapauction (no longer available).

I have settled on the Headrest and love it. Unfortunately they no longer make it so I stocked up when I found out that it was not going to be available.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

vipertec

Post by vipertec » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:12 pm

It took me about 2&1/2 yrs to find a mask that worked good for me,I started with a Optilife then tried a couple of FFM's the Hans Rudolph worked best but was too noisy,well I finally settled on a PR Easy Life and PR True Blue both are nasal masks and both work equally well ,never have a fit problem with either and I don't really get any leaks with the and the straps aren't real tight on them either.
I suggest you keep trying different mask until you find the one that works perfect for you! Good Luck!