Respironics 700M BiPAP Issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BiPAPJack

Respironics 700M BiPAP Issues

Post by BiPAPJack » Fri May 22, 2009 3:13 pm

I have a BiPAP machine with some what appear to be bugs (probably software/firmware):

- Sometimes, if the mask suddenly leaks because I lift it to scratch an itch, the BiPAP will just stop, start flashing its lights, and say "Service Required", requiring me to get out of bed, unplug it, plug it back in and restart it. Ridiculous for a medical device.

- When I remove the mask, if it doesn't crash (see last point), about half the time it keeps blowing air, the other half the time it alternates between blowing a puff of air and beeping twice, repeatedly, without end. This would never pass for most medical devices.

This started with a machine a few weeks in my possession. So I went to my sleep center and got another identical model. And the SAME thing happens with a BRAND NEW machine on the FIRST NIGHT!

Perhaps it's a firmware issue. But my sleep center says they know of no way to update the firmware.

I need an answer to this problem, as I've paid a lot for this machine and I expect close to 100% reliability. Next e-mail goes to FDA or whatever government agency clears these machine.

Machine info:
Respironics BiPAP Model 700M
low serial number, so guessing it was one of first 100 made
v5.52 firmware

- BiPAPJack

GumbyCT

Re: Respironics 700M BiPAP Issues

Post by GumbyCT » Fri May 22, 2009 7:46 pm

BiPAPJack wrote:Machine info:
v5.52 firmware
What makes you think 1st 100? Why do you say that?

Where did you get the firmware version? Mine is 4.03 that is quite a leap. Doesn't mean there can't be problems.

Jack, Unless you list ALL of your machine settings - answering the rest of your Q?'s would just be a guess.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

builta

Re: Respironics 700M BiPAP Issues

Post by builta » Fri May 22, 2009 8:15 pm

GumbyCT wrote:
BiPAPJack wrote:Machine info:
v5.52 firmware
What makes you think 1st 100? Why do you say that?

Where did you get the firmware version? Mine is 4.03 that is quite a leap. Doesn't mean there can't be problems.

Jack, Unless you list ALL of your machine settings - answering the rest of your Q?'s would just be a guess.
Hi,

V5.52 is the same software revision on my 700M. (Got the 700M from my DME 12/08) My unit works just fine.

I have noticed that bouts of "large leaks" (i.e. somewhere north of 75l/m for greater then a minute or so) can cause the machine to think that you may have taken off the mask. At that point my unit would start getting a puffing action from the machine. It seemed to be tied to the "Auto Off" feature--supose to turn off the blower if you remove your mask, it saves you from having to press the "On/Off button". I turned off that feature and haven't had that issue again. Unless you have you have placed the blower somewhere where you cannot reach the power button the feature is not really all that useful.

It is directly accessible in the user menu. Flip up the cover and press the "+" to access settings and use the arrow to move to the "Auto Off" and set it to "off"