Rainout

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LMuzz

Rainout

Post by LMuzz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:19 am

I was told that I had "rainout" in my hose and there are plenty of easy, cheap fixes for that. Can someone suggest a good solution?

LoQ

Re: Rainout

Post by LoQ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:27 am

You can start here: wiki/index.php/Rainout

You can also search the forum threads by typing "rainout" or "rain out" in the search box. I'd try both of those separately.

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:54 pm

My husband has a Resmed S9 and this machine has a climate controlled hose that preents rain out. If that is not the type of machine that you have, you can do one of two things:

go to http://www.padacheek.com and purchase a hose cover (they are not very expensive)

purchase an aussie heated hose from Austrailia (a more expensive option).

Best regards,

Jersey Girl

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

kopoloff

Post by kopoloff » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:23 pm

Kopoloff had serious rainout problems. He flooded the hose, bed, bedroom floor and finally the street. Looked out the window and there were cars floating away. National emergency declared, thousands evacuated to higher ground. (Lucky the H4i has a small reservoir or it could have resulted in rising sea levels and global evacuations)

But he solved it. Got a heated hose. Now the city stays dry every night.

For rainout, the heated hose is the gold standard solution

K

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:08 am

But if buying a heated hose is not an option, here are some el cheapo things to try:

1) Put your hose in a hose cozy. If you don't want to buy one and can't sew, then take some old worn out socks, cut holes in the toe end and slip enough of them on the hose to cover it. You'll want to use rubber bands or twistie ties to keep the socks from all sliding down the hose into a pile at the lowest point.

2) Route the hose over the headboard (or get a hose management system) so that the condensation on the machine side of the hose runs back down into the humidifier tank.

3) Route the hose under the covers so that the air in the hose is warmed from your body heat. Heated air holds more moisture and thus this helps with minor amounts of rainout.

4) Make sure the CPAP machine is below the level of your matress---particularly if you don't hang the hose over the headboard in some fashion. This allows the condensation to run back down hill into the humidifier tank as well.

5) Turn the humidifier down a notch or two and see if your nose and sinuses are still happy.