Chinstrap alone can prevent OSA????????

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tdm5032c

Chinstrap alone can prevent OSA????????

Post by tdm5032c » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:30 pm

Just thought I'd post this article I found on my newspapers website. Looks more like a sales pitch for this companies' chinstrap than an actual news-worthy article. I posted the link to the actual article at the bottom.

Tracy

Family
Are You Snoring Yourself To Death?
(ARA) - Do you wake up after 8 hours of sleep feeling like you haven't rested at all? Do you suffer from unexplained headaches, high blood pressure, cardiac problems and excessive daytime sleepiness? All your problems could stem from snoring.

Snoring isn't just bad for your relationship with your bedmate -- it's bad for your health too. That's because snoring is the most common symptom of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), a condition that literally causes you to stop breathing dozens, sometimes hundreds, of times at night. And you often aren't even aware it's happening.

People suffering from OSA stop breathing at night when their jaw, throat and tongue muscles relax, which causes the airway to become obstructed. Snoring is a symptom that the obstruction is occurring. OSA has been linked to a host of health problems, including:

Heart failure
Stroke
Weight gain
High blood pressure
Excessive daytime drowsiness
Chronic fatigue
Attention deficit disorder in children
Diagnosing and treating OSA can be a costly affair. A full sleep study to diagnose the problem can cost $5,000 or more, must be done at a certified sleep center and involves an overnight stay. Prescribed treatments may include losing weight, wearing a costly and uncomfortable continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device that forces air through your nose and mouth to keep your airways open, or even surgery.

There is a more cost-effective, simpler alternative -- one that has recently been shown to be as effective as a CPAP device at a fraction of the cost. A case study published by Eastern Virginia Medical School's Division of Sleep Medicine in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine concludes that wearing a simple chinstrap to sleep can be an effective treatment for OSA. A strap can reposition the jaw and tongue, preventing obstruction from occurring.

The news comes as no surprise to Stephen Matthews, inventor of the My Snoring Solution chinstrap. Matthews himself suffered from OSA until a flash of inspiration prompted him to wear a makeshift chinstrap to sleep. Years later, the My Snoring Solution chinstrap has helped thousands of wearers relieve snoring symptoms, sleep better and feel healthier.

Try a My Snoring Solution chinstrap and start sleeping better tonight. Order yours now for only $69.99, and get a 90-day money back guarantee at http://www.MySnoringSolution.com. You'll also receive a free American Medical Review DVD and a copy of the book "7 Steps to Sleep Success."

Copyright ©, ARAnet, Inc.

http://www.aralifestyle.com/article.asp ... -To-Death-

P.S. I LOVE/HATE my Swift LT!!

Julie

Re: Chinstrap alone can prevent OSA????????

Post by Julie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:09 am

I don't THINK so! Some people will do anything for attention !

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:12 am

Wow, that so called study is so full of holes. This man had limb movement issues, and in my mind that makes any data on sleep apnea unreliable. Something so simple as caffiene could exacerbate the limb movements, and the increasing frequency and/or intensity could preempt apnea events. Using this one man's case to make the chinstrap claims in the sales pitch is insane. Since in the sales pitch the author speaks of his chinstrap experience in the first person, he must be man studied. Hmmm.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=2556917

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:20 pm

Psst... Tracy....

MORE COWBELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Rock on, man. Rock on.
Babs

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

tgzlavistane

Post by tgzlavistane » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:45 pm

Babette wrote:Psst... Tracy....

MORE COWBELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Rock on, man. Rock on.
Babs

(MORE COWBELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) They play this Saturday Night live skit at the UNO Maverick College Hockey games when the team needs to rally for the Win. It gets the Mavrick fans all fired up and ringing the bell.

Ganesha

Post by Ganesha » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:17 pm

My wife sent me the ad for this miracle chin strap. It had a lot of pseudo-science and a chart. You know charts make a study look impressive. Since I had to dissect bad research for a course in school I thought I would tear into this one. I pasted the data into an Excel spreadsheet and did some analysis.

It was interesting to see how many subjects got worse numbers using that chin strap. But most people read the words, are impressed by the chart, don't look at the data, buy the thing, stop using it, and never complain because to complain would be admitting they got duped.

I am sure it works for some of the people some of the time, but so does the lottery. There is a lot of money made selling hope.

Mark

Hindu god of intellect and wisdom. Remover of Obstacles.
I am not a Hindu or a god, just Mark from New Jersey. But the CPAP mask makes me look like Ganesha.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri May 01, 2009 9:13 am

Dang! I would pay big money to take a course like that, Mark. What's it called, so I can look it up at my local institution? I could really use a skill like that.

As opposed to the advanced math they attempted to teach me. Never have used that once. I constantly use fractions, however, so kids, learn your fractions.

Love that about Ganesha!
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Snorebert

Post by Snorebert » Fri May 01, 2009 9:24 am

-Clark
There are two rules of life. The first is don't tell everything that you know.

Ganesha

Post by Ganesha » Fri May 01, 2009 9:29 pm

Babette,

Thanks for the kind words. I took the course as a part of the graduate program in Information Technology Management at NJIT (New Jersey Institute of Technology). But even if you are a going for Masters in Social Work a research course is usually a core requirement (and it uses lots of fractions). It is amazing the amount of stuff that gets published that is intrinsically flawed.

Mark

Hindu god of intellect and wisdom. Remover of Obstacles.
I am not a Hindu or a god, just Mark from New Jersey. But the CPAP mask makes me look like Ganesha.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Pilot Don

Post by Pilot Don » Sat May 02, 2009 8:42 am

I found that the new chin strap is comfortable and indeed keeps the mouth shut .... but, my jaw is pushed back a bit making vibratory shores a likelihood (Snores are your throat tissues vibrating due to dynamicals in a constricted air stream).

Solution: I wear my snore guard (dentist provided) to keep my jaw forward (throat more oval and open), Next, I place blue 3M tape (low glue adhesion type per cpapper Gerald) over my oil free skin to seal my slobber trap. Over this, I place a homemade band of stretchable material from panty hose tights to seal the blue tape. Then goes on the chin strap which does a great job holding all this attractive regalia in place during the night. Review: The snore guard keeps jaw movements from loosening the tape and keeps jaw forward (throat open), the panty hose band gently holds a good tape seal (absolute seal is extremely important), and the new chin strap (made by M series folks) does a good job holding all in place.

My nasal mask and M series cpap with A-flex, set to appropriate pressures, provide the best sleep since childhood ! I do not have apnea but am using cpap to better Oxygenate myself (a self-experiment which is working).

Opinion: Much of the population may prolong life and avoid some heart problems with cpap, especially as we all age. Lots of water and 02 are the basic key.

I monitor the results and check myself with SPO2 measurements. 02 De-saturations are substantially reduced.

My M series ratios are 1.0 or less.

Cpapper Gerald has 0.0 ratios !!!

I've found that Gerald and Rested Gal have very good postings.

Good Nights to all Cpappers !!!

PilotDon , a newbie.

Mebake

Post by Mebake » Sat May 02, 2009 5:17 pm

I saw the ads for this and found it on Ebay for 28.99. I did not beleive the claims but thought it would be a good chin strap. I have to say it is very comfortable and seems to keep my mouth closed.

StephenB

Post by StephenB » Sun May 03, 2009 8:10 am

May be an advertisement, but read the following article.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=2556917

Steve

JamesCamaro

Post by JamesCamaro » Tue May 05, 2009 3:37 pm

That pretty much stopped that thread, lol

TallKevin

Post by TallKevin » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:31 am

The cited study is a paper about one person who used a chinstrap. The paper itself states the outcome as:

"In sum, this case report indicates that a simple and inexpensive chinstrap deserves further investigation as a modality for the treatment of OSAS."

But I can offer you a better study. I have 2 friends who paid me 20 dollars and they both sleep better now. That's twice as effective as this study!

LOL

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Obvious sales pitches aside: I think a good chinstrap can possibly prevent OSA in a select group of people (and not a lot of people, at that). However the caveat is that the OSA is caused by ones tongue sliding back and blocking the airway while asleep. In other words the rest of the airway's architecture is wide enough to accommodate airflow. If a well-fitted chinstrap can keep the person's mouth and lips closed, hence retaining saliva/moisture, which is the key to a good seal, then the tongue has a better chance of staying in its proper position, ie. against the roof of the mouth. I'm not a doctor but I think some individuals may be able to solve their simple OSA with a good chin-strap. In a nutshell, as my old college electronics professor used to say: TTSSF (try the simple stuff first) Note that I am not endorsing any specific chinstraps in this post

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.