New User Confused

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Willy1035

New User Confused

Post by Willy1035 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:04 am

I have had my Resmed S8 CPAP machine with Swift LT nasal pillows for less than a week.. So far it has been a mixed bag. I am getting used to the nasal pillow but find it hard to adjust especially on exhalation. I routinely unconsciously take the headset off during the night - I don't know why but I do. To my question - I have been reading about the various machines CPAP vs Bilevel vs APAP and am confused. How does my sleep lab know which I should have - I am thinking the bilevel machine might be the answer to my exhalation problems. Since I am a newby I am not sure I am asking the right questions. Is it a matter of getting used to the machine or should I talk to the equipment supplier? Any suggestions would be appreciated - I want to make this work.

jules

Re: New User Confused

Post by jules » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:08 am

to switch from cpap to bipap you need to go back to the doctor and see what process is needed

which machine exactly do you have? model name?

what is your pressure?

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:12 am

Welcome, Willy.

Could you tell us exactly which S8 model you have, and what the pressure setting are? Many of us need time adapting to the exhalation against pressure - but it does make a big difference what you're breathing out against.

I see jules has just asked the same --
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Willy1035

Post by Willy1035 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:13 am

I will have to check on the exact model - how do I find out the pressure settings?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:14 am

What pressure is your machine set at? Does it have EPR and if so, are you using it? Do you use the ramp feature?

Please go to your user account profile and add your exact equipment so we can see exactly what you are using.

Adjusting to exhaling against pressure takes just a bit of time. Must need to keep the mask on but it is common to remove it occasionally especially when just starting treatment. You could try taping the mask to your face so that when you remove it during the night it wakes you up and you can then put it back on. Some people wear socks on their hands so that it is harder to remove during the night.

Which ResMed model do you have? Escape II or Elite II? Escape doesn't offer any useful data in regards to your therapy. Since you are just starting therapy now is the time to get a fully data capable machine if you don't have one.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jules

Post by jules » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:18 am

if you don't already have a copy of the sleep study report and the Rx for the machine - get it --- the pressure will be on the Rx and probably on the LED for the machine when you turn it on (I don't own a resmed but it is that way on the machine I own)

the exact model will help and if there is a II in the model name ---

Willy1035

Post by Willy1035 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:15 am

Per someones suggestions I have just added my CPAP equipment to my profile. Per my original post I have done some research on my particular machine - it apparently has a feature referred to as Easy Breath which is to compensate for exhalations. After 5 days I am more used to the machine and the whole process but still seem to have periods where the effort to exhale seems excessive and keeps me from getting comfortable. I still have not obtained a copy of my sleep study but the number 13 seems to come to memory. Since this is a feature on several of Resmeds machines would going to a Bipap or APAP machine be any better or is this as good as it gets? When I originally picked up this machine I asked the supplier about the pressures and what is the process to adjust them. He said that they would lend me an APAP for home study to look at the pressures. He seemed to feel that because the sleep studies are typically done in a nonhome environment so that one does not really get comfortable and that doing a home study that they might be lower. Should I wait or explore another machine. I realize it is early in the process and may take some time to adapt. Thanks for any input for a new user.

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:52 am

In addition to EasyBreathe, you machine - if its sold in the states or Europe - should have an exhale relief option called EPR Exhale Pressure Releief. It has three levels 1 2 3 and my make exhaling even easier.

Do you see it - on the machine itself or in the menu?

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Willy1035

Post by Willy1035 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:01 pm

I am sure it does have this option - the only menu option I as a user have access to is the hours of use and ramping time. I assume there is a reason to not allow access to the other features. I will contact my dispenser to explore this adjustment - unfortunately they are quite a distance from my home. Would be nice to be able to at least see what the settings are at this time.

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:51 pm

Willy,

Try pressing and holding the right and down buttons on the top of your machine for a few seconds. This should allow you access to the Clinician's Menu, which will let you change the settings for your machine, including the EPR setting. Hopefully that will make you a bit more comfortable and enable you to adapt.

If it were me, I would not accept the machine you have, I would take it back and demand a better one. The Escape is a decent back-up or travel machine, but collects no useful data for monitoring your treatment. You cannot even tell if you are leaking badly all night, which is a common problem that can compromise your therapy. Ask for an Elite II or better. You can view nightly data from the screen or invest in a card reader and software to give you more detailed info. Good luck to you.

Alan

Willy1035

Post by Willy1035 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:06 pm

I am on fairly good terms with the ENT that ordered the sleep study. I am sure she would write me a prescription for a specific machine if I asked. I am also fortunate in that my insurance pays 100%. Any suggestions - should I ask for a bilevel or APAP machine?

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:29 pm

try for an Autoset II or Elite II as you've probably already paid for the humidifier.

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:05 pm

IF you do have an Escape machine, then the following does not apply. However, from this I am wondering what machine you do have and if you are sort of "home titrating"?

Willy1035 wrote:...
When I originally picked up this machine I asked the supplier about the pressures and what is the process to adjust them. He said that they would lend me an APAP for home study to look at the pressures. He seemed to feel that because the sleep studies are typically done in a nonhome environment so that one does not really get comfortable and that doing a home study that they might be lower.
If you DO have an APAP and there is a "home titration" occurring, then there is a strong chance that the settings are ranging from 4-20 cm. At a setting of 4 or 5, most of us are feeling suffocated. As the machine finally builds up to your pressure, you get a good breath but...it can take a while. Usually if there is a pressure problem, I seemed to want to remove the mask and get a (supposedly) good breath!

All of the S8 machines look the same except for very fine details. This is my basis for wondering, with the above quoted comment, if you truly DO have an S8 Escape?

Karen,
Who loves her Vantage
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

Willy1035

Post by Willy1035 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:42 am

Karen

Thanks for the comments. I do have an S8 Escape II. I am not undergoing home titration at this point - the distributor of my current machine suggested that if the settings are not correct that in 3 to 4 weeks he could lend me a machine for home titration. I am not sure I can wait 4 weeks. Unfortunately the distributor must have locked the machine for any user adjustments. I tried the suggestion of holding down the buttons etc and can only access total time and ramp time. I am looking for suggestions for a possible bipap or APAP.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:58 am

http://www.cpap-supply.com/Articles.asp?ID=130

You can go in and unlock the data. Just be careful and don't change anything else. I would suggest writing down the settings you see so you could put them back just in case you changed something you didn't want to. This is also how people change their own pressure, so just be careful.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.