OT I had a scare today

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kopoloff

OT I had a scare today

Post by kopoloff » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:38 am

I went to my doctor on Wednesday because i was worried about a mole on my arm. She took a sample (nifty little gadget takes a core sample with no drama, just 1 stitch required)

Anyway, I got the call today. I've got a bloody melanoma. Not sure yet what this all means; I'm seeing the dermatologist next week.

I think it's spoiled my weekend

Wish me luck

K

LinkC

Re: OT I had a scare today

Post by LinkC » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:18 am

Sorry to hear that. ANY sign of cancer is a frightening thing.

I certainly don't mean to trivialize, but there are far worse types than skin cancer. Let's hope this gets taken care of with no hitches.

With thoughts and prayers.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

JayC

Post by JayC » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:24 am

Glad you were vigilant and got it checked.....hoping it is an easy and complete removal.

Healing energies and prayers coming your way....

Regular skin checks are so important....wait and see is really not the best course. If in doubt, take it out!!

J

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:11 am

That would scare anyone (and mess up their weekend). Seems like once we know something like this, all we want is to get rid of it and NOW. Waiting for answers is hard. Hopefully they'll take care of it right away so you can get the reports back soon, and they will say you have no reason for further concern (or messed up weekends).

Glad you took care of this. Had a couple near misses myself and was told to remain viliglant for any suspicious lesions. Now if I just had eyes in the back of my head. But a good mirror will have to suffice.

I know it's hard in this internet age, but try not to read too much. I worked in Pathology for 10 years, and the vast majority of the reports I saw showed them to have been removed in the early stages. Awareness is high these days so most do not get ignored when in a visible location.

Let us know when they tell you to relax.

Kathy

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:46 am

Wishing you all the best, Koppy.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Marietjie

Post by Marietjie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:44 am

Hi Koppy !

kebsa

Post by kebsa » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:36 am

thinking of you and hoping that the test result prove that it has been dealt with- and will soon be a past memory- it is a good reminder for us all to remain vigilant

SeaPappy

Post by SeaPappy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:42 am

Good thing you got it diagnosed in early stages, and rest assured that complications in malignant moles are 'tapiring' off in recent years. Stay strong....you are in my prayers.

James
When I woke up this morning my girlfriend asked me, 'Did you sleep good?' I said 'No, I made a few mistakes.'
Steven Wright

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:24 am

Koppy,

Good luck with that. For now I would like to assume that you took care of it at the appropriate time and followup treatment will be easy and conclusive.

The dermatologist told me in February of this year, that I was going to have to start using sunscreen or he would in the coming years have to start cutting things off my face. I have a lot of sun damage over the decades. I was a beach bum and owned and raced sailboats for about 20 years and there was all those years fishing and swimming and working on the farm as a kid. Never used sunscreen or wore hats.

I can't stand the idea of using sunscreens on my face, so I bought a nice wide-brimmed hat. There was a warning for those wearing hats; the shade of the brim will allow your pupils to open excessively in bright sun. So now I wear the hat and sunglasses when out on forays. I thought I would have the side advantage of a little incognito time, but the community quickly picked up on who the idiot in the hat and dark glasses was - now I am more known than before.

Give us a followup in this thread.

Regards,

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:45 am

Well, I for one intend to trivialize the heck out of this. My mother grew up in the age before everyone wore sunscreen, in sunny Oklahoma. She's had a ZILLION of these removed from all over her body. She's an INCREDIBLY HALE AND HEARTY 70 and it hasn't slowed her down a bit. No chemo, no hair loss, no sickness, nada. Simple little operation, sometimes she gets a bandaid.

I wish you her good luck, Koppy!!!!!!

Huggers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

kopoloff

Post by kopoloff » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Thanks for all your thoughts.

With the year I've had so far, this is just another of those little bumps (no pun intended) that seem to keep coming my way. I'll try and forget about it till I see the dermo on Thursday.

Thanks again

K

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:18 pm

I've been the cancer route... and I wish that your situation will go as smoothly as mine has so far.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:24 pm

rooster wrote:I can't stand the idea of using sunscreens on my face, so I bought a nice wide-brimmed hat. There was a warning for those wearing hats; the shade of the brim will allow your pupils to open excessively in bright sun. So now I wear the hat and sunglasses when out on forays.
OMG Rooster!!!! Haven't you read the warnings on wearing sunglasses????!!!!
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:07 pm

I had doctor take a mole away from me...it needed 3 stitches. it was negative. But, it got infected and that was scary....the mole was on the back of my right hand.

Actually, I didn't have the doctor take it away from....he just took it against my protests, that I didn't think there was anything wrong and its been there and that way for as long as I had remembered.

The Dreamer.

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

73 de W0LKC

Ganesha

Post by Ganesha » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Kopoloff -

Sounds like you have a sharp doc who got right after it.
Melanoma has a good prognosis and is one of the easiest cancers to treat.
But, it is cancer and is scary none the less.
My thoughts are with you.

Mark

Hindu god of intellect and wisdom. Remover of Obstacles.
I am not a Hindu or a god, just Mark from New Jersey. But the CPAP mask makes me look like Ganesha.
________________________________________________________________________________________