Does anyone trust CPAP equipment in checked luggage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RMinOntario

Re: Does anyone trust CPAP equipment in checked luggage

Post by RMinOntario » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks, jdm.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:47 pm

RMinOntario wrote:I will actually try using the CPAP machine w/o the humidifier at home for some nights. Right now I use the humidifier at a low level anyway. Thanks for your input.
Keep in mind that the need for a humidifier will depend in large part on where you are going. If it's a humid climate, then you may well be able to do without a humidifier. OTOH, if you are travelling to a dry climate, or will be staying in severely air conditioned hotels, then a humidifier may be essential.
I'm workin' on it.

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:28 pm

I will be flying for the first time since CPAP began in about 2 weeks. The bag that contains the IntelliPAP, hose and mask is small, smaller than a typical camera bag (and includes the humidifier). I will also have a typical camera bag (SLR and lenses) and a laptop case. I refuse to use special boarding.

I have never had a problem with checked baggae, and have transported some pretty weird stuff that way. Since this is a one leg flight, and fairly short, I may risk checking the CPAP machine to avoid any hassles. Nothing ruins my day more than being treated like an idiot by the TSA zombies.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:33 pm

timbalionguy wrote: I refuse to use special boarding.
I could understand that sentiment if the airlines managed carry-on items in a reasonable way.

But under the free-for-all system currently in place, where pricing encourages carry-ons, and where items that would have incurred a checked-baggage charge are gate checked for free, I would slip through any loophole I could find.

BTW, some airlines want you to sign a damage waiver if you check your xPAP as baggage.
jeff

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:53 am

I refuse to use special boarding
What - you don't want to be treated like a first class passenger or don't you want to be perceived as someone who needs help, someone who is somehow 3rd class?

Like at AA stand up and admit your addiction to OXYGEN. "Hi I am XXX and I am an oxygen breather."
It will be good for your soul.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

kebsa

Post by kebsa » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:26 am

I just thought i would throw this one in here, as i had read several times how in the US that CPAP is deemed to be essential medical equipment and there for is not included in luggage or carryon allowance in the US- for international travellers or those thinking about it, that is not the case in all countries- here in australia, cpap will be counted as your carryon luggage and will be included in your baggage weight allowance- in fact in recent times the airlines have even started trying to charge for carrying things like a wheelchair- they have had to reverse that but they do limit the amount of medical equipment they will allow over and above the usually allowances so it would pay any of you to check out the countries you are travelling to

having said that, it would be cheaper to pay excess luggage than to replace something like a cpap- i used to travel internationally a lot (in my younger/healthier days) and i saw the amount of damage that my checked luggage sustained from one trip to another- it gets thrown around like sack of potatoes by some baggage handlers. The idea of the mini lap top for travelling seems one way to reduce the carryon gear and the other thing is, would it be possilble to divide the camera gear between 2 pieces of luggage - one with the cpap the other with the lap top. what about getting a compact cpap for travel, it would be handy as back up at home

RMinOntario

Post by RMinOntario » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:42 am

kebsa,
Sounds like the same issue with your airlines as ours' (Air Canada, etc). Thanks for the suggestion about divvying up my camera gear, but it's safer in its' compartmentalized bag. Still throwing around ideas in my sleepy head.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:12 am

There are a lot of really nice bags around that will handle a laptop. My uber fashion conscious daughter got herself a gorgeous bag for her Mac that doesn't look at all like a lap top bag. It is by Lug 12X13X5 strong, fully padded, waterproof with a dozen pockets/ compartments and is bright turquoise. It holds her mac, mouse, school books and purse stuff. It could hold both laptop and my cpac easily.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

spitintheocean

Post by spitintheocean » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:41 am

Your Elite II dimensions are 12" x 5" x 4" and would only take half the capacity of that oversized purse (12"x 10"x8") Air Canada allows you in addition to the roller bag and laptop/camera bag. You could certainly redistribute the power cord, hose and mask within the other two pieces of carry-on. I'm convinced that you can live without the humidifier for a few days business/holidays or you could always transport that as checked luggage.

On the larger issue, I'm in full support of Air Canada's and apparently the Aussie airlines' decision to treat medical equipment as part of our carry-on allowance. I may be suffering from sleep apnea, but when I travel I suffer even more from fellow passengers who attempt to carry everything but the kitchen sink into the cabin. There just isn't sufficient room for everyone to carry on whatever they feel like, particularly in cold weather climates when a decent overcoat takes as much room as a full carry-on piece of equipment.

If we're that worried the airlines may lose our checked luggage, it's time we re-prioritize our true in-flight necessities ..... or take the train where you usually have full access to all your luggage within each passenger car.

Life is something to do when you can't get to sleep.
Fran Lebowitz

RMinOntario

Post by RMinOntario » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:06 am

spitintheocean wrote:Your Elite II dimensions are 12" x 5" x 4" and would only take half the capacity of that oversized purse (12"x 10"x8") Air Canada allows you in addition to the roller bag and laptop/camera bag. You could certainly redistribute the power cord, hose and mask within the other two pieces of carry-on. I'm convinced that you can live without the humidifier for a few days business/holidays or you could always transport that as checked luggage.

On the larger issue, I'm in full support of Air Canada's and apparently the Aussie airlines' decision to treat medical equipment as part of our carry-on allowance. I may be suffering from sleep apnea, but when I travel I suffer even more from fellow passengers who attempt to carry everything but the kitchen sink into the cabin. There just isn't sufficient room for everyone to carry on whatever they feel like, particularly in cold weather climates when a decent overcoat takes as much room as a full carry-on piece of equipment.

If we're that worried the airlines may lose our checked luggage, it's time we re-prioritize our true in-flight necessities ..... or take the train where you usually have full access to all your luggage within each passenger car.
I agree that often travelers carry-on way too much to avoid checking their luggage. But my one camera bag has close to $5000 worth of equipment with no room to spare for face mask or hose, the other a laptop in a fitted case, which is a necessity for me & CPAP, again a necessity. So personally, how do I re-prioritize? And I'm planning to be away 3 weeks, so not sure about being w/o the humidifier for that long.

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:42 am

As far as refusing to pre-board, I do not want to be perceived in any way, shape or form as a 'cripple', which I am not. As it is, I am flying Southwest, and I like their open seating plan. Their aircraft are all 737's, and should not otherwise be a problem. But if I do have to check one piece, its one of those 'dammed if I do, dammed if I don't' things. It is my understanding you can't check laptops anyway. (Mine is average size, and is in an appropriate case. It fits very nicely under the seat.) I can and have checked the camera when needed (its a digital SLR camera). But that is bigger than the CPAP machine, and a lot more valuable. As it is, I have to do so much to just get through security (take off shoes, belt, glasses, watch, and both my neck chains), and I am half blind when I have to walk through their station. Despite all this, I still sometimes set off their metal detectors, and get patted down-- something I vehemently hate. Oddly enough, the worst airport is the one here in Reno.

I have cut way back on air travel, and now having to deal with CPAP will ensure it will stay that way. Can't ever go on a safari trip again either I sometimes wonder if feeling much better is worth the amount of stuff I am having to give up.

2ndGenCPAPgal

TSA website link for US travellers

Post by 2ndGenCPAPgal » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:54 am

For any US travellers who may not have noticed, one of today's news items at the top of the forum is about CPAP equipment as a carry-on. I hope I'm not committing a faux pas by posting the link here to preserve it for others in the future. I was even more unsure about adding an "article" with just a link in the Our Wisdom area.

Broad TSA link:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... index.shtm

CPAP specific:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... /cpap.shtm

spitintheocean

Post by spitintheocean » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Just remember that TSA rules only deal with whether or not they will consider your carry-on to be a weapon or readily capable as being used as one or components of a bomb. This agency does not set the rules as to what you may carry on to the plane in terms of size or numbers.

The US DOT has as recently as May 13 changed the rules about how medical equipment, including CPAP must be accommodated by airlines flying within or into the United States. This posting is about Air Canada and Westjet, two Canadian airlines flying from point to point within Canada and/or elsewhere in the world.
But my one camera bag has close to $5000 worth of equipment with no room to spare for face mask or hose, the other a laptop in a fitted case, which is a necessity for me & CPAP, again a necessity. So personally, how do I re-prioritize?

So its time to invest in a larger laptop bag which can accommodate some additional effects other than your laptop (or else in a newer laptop like Dell's "Mini 10" which is roughly 1" x 7" x 10"). Conversely, you may have to think outside the box and add some foam to a conventional carry-on bag which at 9" x 15.5" x 21.5" should easily accommodate your camera gear and cpap equipment. You seem reluctant to change your bag as though each item must continue to be carried in their original fitted case.

Absolutely nothing prevents you from transporting your humidifier in your checked luggage. Certainly its not as convenient as bringing everything on board together, but the reality is there just isn't sufficient room for every passenger to carry into the cabin all the personal effects.

Life is something to do when you can't get to sleep.
Fran Lebowitz

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:00 pm

the other a laptop in a fitted case,
Replace with this:

http://www.lugtravel.com/product/PADDYW ... _Tote.html

Add full size purse
In addition, the following items can be carried on and do not count towards your baggage allowance:

Purses up to 25cm x 30cm x 20cm (10" x 12" x 8")
http://www.lugtravel.com/product/MINI/m ... umper.html

Plus a coat with big pockets or vest - think "bag lady"
http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?catId= ... uctNo=TX54
http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?catId= ... uctNo=MA55

And pack your humidifier in your luggage.

RMinOntario

Post by RMinOntario » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks everyone,
I have no problem in packing the humidifier in my luggage. That's a good idea. And other bags, I'll look into.
RM