International Travel w/ CPAP Machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JAT

International Travel w/ CPAP Machine

Post by JAT » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:46 am

I am about to travel Qatar Airways for the first time on a trip to the middle east. I'm having a miserable time getting any rational information out of them regarding the use of my machine, pre-boarding protocol, etc. I'm flying business class on a 777-200. From past experience I know the voltage will be 110, but I'm unsure about the necessity for any type of plug adapter. QA is very reluctant to offer muc, if any help. Seems like I'm "inconveniencing" them. Any help?
JAT

harry33

Re: International Travel w/ CPAP Machine

Post by harry33 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:28 pm

you may need to find some other more helpful airline
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

elader

Post by elader » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:54 pm

Good luck with that. Sure you can carry it aboard in your carry on (although some airlines even don't like that). I would not use their AC power, but buy a cheap battery powered unit if you feel you must use it on board. You had better check with them about the specific model.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:15 pm

I would plan on powering my CPAP with a portable CPAP battery. I would also forget using a humidifier during the flight, regardless of whether you use a battery or aircraft power..

If the airline can give you specific information assuring you that a 110 volt 50 or 60 cycle power outlet is available at every seat, and can tell you what sort of power plug is needed; you will also need to make sure that the airline will let you use your specific CPAP during flight while plugged into their power outlet.