Is prescription necessary to order equipment?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Carsten

Re: Is prescription necessary to order equipment?

Post by Carsten » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:43 am

Hi Guys,

I had the problem of getting a prescription after my second sleeplab, too. The biggest issue was that the doctor left the country a day later, so couldn't bug him. I tried my best with the staff, but they just played dumb. It took me 7 Months!!! to find someone at the hospital to talk to me about this. That doctor then told me that here in Bahrain(yes, i live here) you don't need a prescription. You just go to the next pharmacy with your lab-report and they get the mashine for you.

So, the Lab-Report is as good as a prescrition. That sounded really good, but still, if i ever need a new mashine and i am no longer in Bahrain, what do i do then? I have no way of getting a mashine outside Bahrain without this stupid prescription.

TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:54 am

kona0197 wrote:Easy for all of you to say go get a RX for a sleep machine. What about all us poor souls who are unemployed and without healthcare?
Hmmm, I didn't realize that there were doctors that wouldn't write prescriptions if you were unemployed and without healthcare. When I was in that boat, it didn't seem to stop my doctor. (not getting the prescription filled....well)

The Dreamer.

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

73 de W0LKC

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:29 am

Hello geniuses:
Open any mask bag. Look at the instructions. There you'll see a statement that says that the product can only be dispensed by order of a physician. Call the FDA. Ask them. They'll tell you.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:00 pm

There are many things that claim to need a prescription, but they will be sold without one.

Legitimate DMEs in the US and many other countries won't sell CPAPs without a prescription. I wouldn't sell or give away one of my used CPAPs without seeing a prescription or going through CPAP Auction, which requires that buyers have a prescription.

Silver Pelt

Post by Silver Pelt » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:36 pm

Feel free to sell or not sell your personal property to whomever you wish.

Prescriptions and doctor's orders and all the associated nonsense are going the way of buggy whips.

There's this new thing, it's called the internet. It treats obstacles to communication and commerce as damage and finds ways around it.

I have a brand new machine of my choosing, every mask I want, and all the supplies I need. I also have a full prescription, "patient preference" on every item, from my great primary care physician. I keep it in case it comes in handy some day. So far it hasn't, and I hope I never have to use it.

The one reason I will never use it is because some jerk demands to see personal information that properly stays between me and my doctor. I have too many choices to put up with that kind of rude behavior, and my choices are growing every day.

taberge

Post by taberge » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:43 pm

If I were you, I would be camping out at the doctor's office til I get the script in my hands.

Terminator

Post by Terminator » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:49 pm

Silver Pelt wrote:Feel free to sell or not sell your personal property to whomever you wish.

Prescriptions and doctor's orders and all the associated nonsense are going the way of buggy whips.

There's this new thing, it's called the internet. It treats obstacles to communication and commerce as damage and finds ways around it.

I have a brand new machine of my choosing, every mask I want, and all the supplies I need. I also have a full prescription, "patient preference" on every item, from my great primary care physician. I keep it in case it comes in handy some day. So far it hasn't, and I hope I never have to use it.

The one reason I will never use it is because some jerk demands to see personal information that properly stays between me and my doctor. I have too many choices to put up with that kind of rude behavior, and my choices are growing every day.
I'll drink to that! And I'll add that I've had no trouble getting stuff from the US (I'm in Canada) without a script...
The old six shooter was as popular as the cellphone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the theater!