DV Smartlink won't run after XP reinstall

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mray300

DV Smartlink won't run after XP reinstall

Post by mray300 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:02 am

I've been using Devilbiss's Smartlink 1.6.3 software for about a month. I installed it with no problem in Windows XP Pro. Yesterday I reformatted the HDD and reinstalled XP Pro with SP2 (then updated to SP3). I've installed very few other programs.
Smartlink seems to install properly but when I run it, it freezes on a screen with a little box "initializing application." It will initialize for hours without starting the ap. I repaired, uninstalled and reinstalled with no change in behavior. I have to use Task Manager to force it to quit and when it wants to report it to MS the software name isn't in the box but Java and a bunch of nonsense symbols. I miss looking at data. Any suggestions.

Hawthorne

Re: DV Smartlink won't run after XP reinstall

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:13 am

I have heard others say that there are problems with Service Pack 3 for XP and the cpap software. I think I recall that they uninstalled SP3 and things were fine.

Someone who has had this experience will probably reply soon.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:16 am

Perhaps you need the a later Java version than the one on your computer? The DV software uses Java.
Alternatively -- could it be that your present version if IE -- is too new or too old?

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

mray300

Post by mray300 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:29 am

I might have to reformat again due to some other problems so I'll install Smartlink before SP3. It's hard to believe I would have no trouble on a cluttered HDD and not get it to work on a new install. Thanks for the tip.

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:28 pm

mray300 wrote:I might have to reformat again due to some other problems so I'll install Smartlink before SP3. It's hard to believe I would have no trouble on a cluttered HDD and not get it to work on a new install. Thanks for the tip.
There is something in this software that happens at the point you mentioned, that doesn't get along well with windows. Something that must right on the edge of being compatible with the Windows XP API. This is exactly the spot where this software hangs up when trying to run it in the Linux windows emulator, WINE. And it hangs up exactly the same way. This I think may have more to do with windows than with Java.

In any case, if can, try the above experiment and report back here with the results. It might help both windows and Linux users.

mray300

Post by mray300 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:07 pm

My DH got the program to run.He doesn't really know how. Earlier in the day I did install the most current JAVA. Tried the program no luck. Uninstalled- reinstalled. Uninstalled SP3 no luck. DH gets home puts SP3 back on and reinstalled Smartlink with the virus checker disabled. He said he had to delete the directory which was not deleted when uninstalling. So maybe the uninstall isn't complete.
I can look at my data again. Yea. It's like an addiction. I'm sorry I can't be more specific. I tried so many things. I don't know what worked.

El Pap

Post by El Pap » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:14 pm

Do the following:

Open \windows\system32\driver\etc\hosts in a text editor like notepad.

Make sure you have the following line in it:

127.0.0.1 localhost

If the above line is not present, add it and save the file.
Now try your smartlink software.