Upgrade time! Resmed S-8 or Resp M

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
paradiddle

Upgrade time! Resmed S-8 or Resp M

Post by paradiddle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:49 pm

It's time for my 5 year insurance upgrade. I currently have a Respironics Remstar Pro. I have been pretty happy with Respironics. It runs like a champ. I think my new doc got my a Resmed. That's what the medical supply house person told me. Anyway pro's and con's on Resmed S-8 Elite and Remstar M-series. I know Resmed is known to be quiet but not a really big issue for me.( I also use a sleepmate white noise machine). I was also wondering if I would have any issues not having Cflex in Resmed. My current titration is 13.4.

I'm a victim of circumstance

bbeck4x4

Re: Upgrade time! Resmed S-8 or Resp M

Post by bbeck4x4 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:05 pm

I have had both machines, and have just gotten the auto with a-flex, my ahi is lower (under 2.5 from in the 5's) and I am sleeping better, it's just my opinion, but if a-flex didn't help you sleep better at least you could turn it off, with the other brand it is not there to find out.

I don't know if there are any other brands out there that will lower the pressure when a leak is detected, but the a-flex units will do this as well, that in itself has saved quite a few nights for me.

Brian

tdm5032c

Post by tdm5032c » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:45 pm

I have never used the Resmed machine and am using the Repsironics M-Series Auto with A-flex and find it is a great little machine and VERY quiet. I love the fact that it has A-flex AND C-flex and you can use either one of them or none of them. I think it gives you the best options. I use the A-flex myself at the moment and am experimenting with the different settings to see which one works the best for me. Just my two cents

Tracy

P.S. I LOVE/HATE my Swift LT!!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:53 pm

Oh good Lord!! The Resmed S8 Elite and S8 Elite II BOTH have expiration pressure relief!!! Its called EPR. Resme's EPR and the Respironics' -Flex's work on somewhat different principles but the intent is the same, to provide pressure relief when one is trying to exhale against pressure.

The Resmed S8 Autoset Vantage APAP provides EPR in CPAP mode but not in Auto mode. On the other hand the newer (2008 vs 2006) Resmed S8 AutoSet II provides EPR in both CPAP and APAP mode.

Regardless, I don't see an APAP being offered, only a CPAP. Keep in mind the Resmed S8s were introduced in 2006 as was the Respironics M Series. The Resmed S8 IIs were introduced in 2008 and the S8s have been phased out and all that are available is what is left in stock.

Resmed's EPR produces 1 to 3 cms of expiration pressure relief depending on the 1-3 settings. The Resmeds don't have that PITA fourth "piece", there is just the CPAP, the integrated humidifier and the water tank, no "plate" or "power brick". Only one cord instead of two. Access to and amount of data available via the LCD screen is the best there is w/the Resmeds. Resmeds have no PITA blue lights you can't turn off as w/the Respironics M Series. The M Series is NOT the quality of the pre-M Series you most likely have despite the reduction in size. I doubt you would be unhappy w/the Resmed S8 Elite w/EPR or the Resmed S8 Elite II w/EPR.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

wasColette

Post by wasColette » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:13 pm

Also, with the ResMed you CAN turn off EPR.