Simpler Sleep Apnea Treatment Seems Effective, Affordable

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:07 pm

Not sure if this was posted or not. Couldn't find it using Search.

Sleep well and live better!

Babette

Re: Simpler Sleep Apnea Treatment Seems Effective, Affordable

Post by Babette » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:25 pm

Big deal. You see a nurse instead of a doctor. What's the diff?
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:35 pm

With my SELF-LED care I'm saving thousands!

junie

Post by junie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks for the article

Additional Comments: Pressure #11, FF. mask Flexifit 431 & 432, also Mirage Swift ll Nasal Pillow,
Judy

split_city

Post by split_city » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:01 pm

Hey that's from our research group . Dr. Nick Antic is a sleep physician with us and completed his PhD last year.
Babette wrote:Big deal. You see a nurse instead of a doctor. What's the diff?
B.
Babette, I think the title of this thread and the article may have misled you. The study wasn't run to come up with better treatment alternative, but to determine whether there is an alternative/more cost effective way to manage sleep apnea. The nurse-led arm was more cost effective while maintaining patient outcomes similar to that seen by the patient-doctor arm.

I think the quote below is important:

"While we were not surprised at this finding, we were very pleased as it indicates a robust new avenue for providing better access to sleep services for those with moderate-severe OSA in a timely yet cost-effective fashion without sacrificing patient outcomes,"

jda1000

Post by jda1000 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:17 am

Interesting article...but I wonder if it really just confirms a classic American business model: push all possible tasks as far down the billing structure as possible...

For instance, my CPAP experience so far has included just two doctor visits: one to prescribe the PSG, another before they'd give me AmbienCR...all else - the PSG, the machine delivery and set up, and the very limited follow-up customer care from the DME has all been by technicians. Except the sales rep who delivered my machine. He wasn't even really a technician.

The PSG technician was great. The rest of it? Goofy.

Perhaps in the Oz study they saved $722 going from MDs to nurses - but my care team already has eliminated most of the MD part, and I doubt the savings could be realized again....

Still - I'd support anything that'd control costs...even half the $722 is good hard coin, particularly for those lacking insurance.
Machine: Resmed Autoset II
Humidifier: Resmed H4i
Mask: Mirage Ultra

tdm5032c

Post by tdm5032c » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:52 am

Don't even get me started on this one. My sleep studies already consisted of only a poorly trained technician monitering me for two separate visits. The first time, the technician I had told me in the morning when I woke up that I didn't need a CPAP machine as I didn't have very bad apnea. My follow-up visit with the sleep doctor, and she told me I had SEVERE sleep apnea and wanted me to come back for a second night so they could see what pressure worked the best. That's when I was titrated at 9. After that I got the prescription from the doc and got the machine and mask I wanted(had to insist on that). Haven't heard from them or Apria since, and its been almost five months now. As I've said before, if you don't take charge of your OWN care, no one else will. Education is the ONLY effective treatment in my opinion. Doesn't matter who runs the sleep study, a doctor or a nurse, if the patient is educated and knows what to look for and what they need. Just my opinion.

Thanks to everyone on here who helped to educate me on my treatment. There is a HUGE wealth of knowledge on here on lots of friendly people that are more than willing to help. Thanks

P.S. I LOVE/HATE my Swift LT!!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:22 am

So many times, and it seems more and more, the sleep doctor is useless anyway. Gimme a good RPSGT and a script pad and ferget the sleep doctor.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:10 am

This article does offer us an alternative to compliance.
Would appear to be a much more literal definition also.

"There were no significant differences in outcomes,
including levels of sleepiness,
quality of life measures,
ability to do maze tasks and CPAP adherence."

Main Entry: ad·her·ence
Function:
noun
1 : the act, action, or quality of adhering
2 : steady or faithful attachment : fidelity

Main Entry: ad·here
intransitive verb
1: to give support or maintain loyalty
2.: to hold fast or stick by or as if by gluing, suction, grasping, or fusing
3: to bind oneself to observance <adhere to the rules>

As needed, new, complex algorithms will need to be written
to convert compliance data to adherence data.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.